Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Do you know any other veg*ns in real life? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zayaxa

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 am
I only know one other veg*n personally (I know of one or two others that are around my college) - my friend Pete, who is a vegetarian, but he's a bit slack sometimes and will still eat things with gelatin in them, and joke about eating meat. He went back to eating meat at one point too, but still, he's better than nothing I guess because I know there are a lot of people who don't have anybody else. And hey, every little helps too. He's just not the kinda guy that I can go to for support or to talk about animal rights/veg*n-related issues cry

There are no other veg*ns in my family either. It was kinda hard to start with when I didn't know a lot, and needed people to help me find out alternatives and the like. I worked it out on my own though and learned to cook and it's not so bad now.

What about everybody else?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:11 pm

My ex is vegan.
So is my Women's Studies professor, who brought me vegan cupcakes from the vegan bakery she lives next to. <3
I also meet up with a local veg*n hangout group - we see movies together, play games, check out veg*n restaurants, have potlucks, leaflet, protest, etc. together which is always really fun, but I'm the only one under 25. xD

Even though I didn't know other veg*ns when I started out, I didn't find it too difficult (I already cooked most of our family's meals & I have the interwebz to search for information.)

loony x lovegood
Crew

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:14 pm
User Image you had my heart, at least for the most part...

a lot of the kids at my school, the scene/emo kids, are vegetarians.
plus, one of my best friends is vegetarian. we're both in german club, so when we go on trips we always stick together && order vegetarian dishes. biggrin

...'cause everybody's gotta die sometime. User Image

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:33 pm
When I first went vegetarian, my brother was veg, and had been for over a year. However, a few months later, he went back to eating meat, which made me very sad. sad

Over the years, I've met lots of other veg*ns. At school I have three vegetarian and one vegan friend, I have a vegan friend whom I take classes with at a local arts center, another vegetarian friend whom I know through her finace, and two vegans who work at a local vegan restaurant. All of these people are people whom I know fairly well. I have a ton of aquaintances who are veg as well.  

DreamerSpirit

Zayaxa

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:25 am
Hehe, I guess I’m just unlucky. I’m glad I’ve got you guys to talk with about issues, because otherwise I’d sound like I was preaching to my non-veg*n friends (which make up the vast majority) or I’d bore them to death. sweatdrop I’m always willing to talk to people who are willing to listen, but it turns out that a lot of my friends don’t want to hear it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am
I don't really know very many vegetarians, either.
When I made the switch, I didn't have any other vegetarians around that I knew personally, and I still don't, really. There's a veg*n club at my university, but they never meet, which is really annoying, because it would be nice to see them and at least have some support from other students, or at least someone to talk to. Sometimes I run into someone who says "I'm vegetarian," but I don't really know any other vegetarians well enough to talk to them.
All of my friends are non-vegetarians (including my b/f), and they don't understand it, I think. Especially my friend from China...Maybe it's the cultural differences, but she doesn't seem to understand vegetarianism at all, and keeps on asking me about it.  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Mrs Joe Trohman

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 am
My Mom is a vegan. ^.^

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:12 am
Yeah, except none local to hang with.  

Carmelito

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:41 pm
There are a lot of v*gans in Portland, OR, where I live. However, I'm not close to many. My fiance and I are vegan. There's a vegan whom he works with. I certainly run INTO a lot of vegans and vegetarians, since I eat out a lot, shop at a health food store, go to events where they are common, etc., but most of my friends and my family are omni.

There was a vegetarian who worked where I did for a while, but she started eating fish when she got pregnant. :/ I don't know if she's gone back to veg since she had her kid. Everyone else at my place of work are very omnivore.

My family are all omnivores, but they're very supportive of my choices, and my sister says she's eating a lot less meat these days.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:29 pm
Aside from my vegetarian sister and mother (family), no one else.. crying

A lot of times when there were potlucks/friend gatherings and my mother brings us along, I feel really lonely.. because they're vegetarian (I'm vegan) and they get to eat this delicious looking food (I'm not tempted, though), while I eat something really bizarre..

Like last time, my mother brought us to her friends and we went to this place called "CHEESECAKE Factory" and they ate these yummy looking stuff I couldn't eat because absolutely everything had SOMETHING I couldn't eat - even the salads.. and I drank 3 1/2 cups of water for "dinner".. I came back home eating sunflower seeds, though. D: You couldn't imagine how it was - when I pee'd, it didn't look like pee - just clear water. (The cups were HUGE lmao!)

I wish that one day, I can meet a vegan and discuss with them, because it really feels extremely lonely sometimes.. ): My friends support me in a way, but it's just that they're not the perfect ones yet. >__< My family is extremely supportive, thank goodness.

Fortunately, my family is leaning towards a vegan diet so virtually everything in our fridge and cabinet is vegan, and I feel better about that. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. It's just that when we go to an omni restaurant, I feel kind of not-so-good about it..

._.

When I'm in a really big crowd of people, I always think to myself, "There's another vegan out here.." - like yesterday, when my sister graduated, we sat down on the bleachers, and in that big group of like, 1000+ (high school graduation!) I thought the same thing. ^^; Maybe it's just to comfort me, but I'm SURE there is at least one other one out there!  

Silverleaf28

Lord of Losers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 am
I know a few. My best friend and her mom are vegetarians. I have a few vegan friends, a veg girl is on my Cross country team. A few other kids at my school are veg too.
There's also a small vegetarian group in my city. We meet every month for potlucks. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:24 pm
One of my best friends is vegan. She was the first one I met, I think. I know a "liberal vegetarian," meaning she eats meat sometimes. In other words, she's not a vegetarian. I also know a pescetarian. She only eats fish because her mom makes her, but fish are still animals... I recently met another vegan at school. Another friend was vegetarian until she had her baby. I forget why she started eating meat again.

Even though my other friends aren't veg*n, they're still interested in trying my food. I don't even preach to anybody. I just tell them that I don't eat meat, give my reasons, and that makes them want to eat less as well. An uncle of mine never realized just how obsessed the U.S. is with meat until I went veg. He still eats it, but not nearly as much.

QueenMaeve

Poetic Essence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 pm
My grandma's a vegetarian, and my cousin is a vegan, though she lives way on the other side of the country. Acutally, today I met another vegetarian through this youth group I belong to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

I just found out my cousin's girlfriend is a vegetarian. (:

loony x lovegood
Crew

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:01 pm
i knew some veg people before i was vegan, though interestingly none of them really inspired me to go vegetarian. two of my teachers are vegetarian and one is vegan [though not a true one; i constantly see him wearing his secondhand leather jacket and boots and it pisses me off and i let him know].

i started an AR club at my school, and some random new vegans and vegetarians showed up.

so yeah, they're kind of everywhere. they're just probably lurking around reading ingredients labels somewhere XD

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff