Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Manga/Anime][Junjou Romantica] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 pm
Title: Junjo Romantica
Manga ka: Shungiku Nakamura
Genre: Romance/drama
About(as quoted from the back of graphic novel#1): Misaki is struggling to pass his college entrance exams, and has taken up a tutor: the cool and sexy Akihiko Usami, who also happens to be a famous boys' love novelist. At first, Misaki is disgusted by Akihiko, but slowly, Misaki realizes he may be developing feelings for the older man. And so begins the bumpy relationship of this odd couple, filled with comedy and pure romance...

I looked in the Master Topic list for a topic about this and could not find one gonk . That makes me a little sad, because I happen to think this is an absolutely adoreable and amusing manga title. Does anyone else in this guild share my love of this particular title?

Now, I will admit... the art took me a LONG time to get used to. Shungiku Nakamura has a sketchy style... and the hands she draws are a little on the large side... However slowly but surely I got used to this little fact and really just got into the cute story line of it all. I must say, when I first read it I was kind of thinking that Usami was a bit of a rip off of Eiri Yuki from Gravitation... He's a romance novelist with a bad attitude who chain smokes like a chimeny... but since I rather like that kind of character I rather don't mind. I REALLY like who she put Usami with though. Misaki isn't really that much of a typical whiny, roll over and take it uke. He often fights with Usami and isn't afraid to give the other man a piece of his mind. I REALLY appreciate that. That and Misaki is just adoreable to me XD.

Oh, there's also an anime being made to go with this right now. I've seen the first three episodes and it is fabulous! It focuses more on the sweet side of the relationship between Usami and Misaki and has some really pretty animation. I REALLY hope it gets liscenced because I would statch it up in a heartbeat!

Ahem, so yeah, I thought I would start a discussion for anyone who likes this little manga. Or people who don't for that matter. You can just come in and share your ideas about it and what you like/dislike about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:21 am
yeah episode 4 is up and both the anime and the manga is AWSOME  

protecterofelements

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 am
I know I watched episode four the other day and was so excited^_^. It's just so sweet. I can't wait until Thursdy so I can get to the comic shop and finally get my hands on volume 5 of the manga. I'm so hopelessly addicted to this series.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:57 am
Im not crazy about the character designs, I'll admit, and the main character irritates me a bit... But its so wonderfully cliche that I cant help but love it xD
also I rarely get the chance to watch actual BL so its refreshingly fancervicey <3

I tried to get into the manga but I'm already reading a lot, so since I'm already watching the anime it seems kind of pointless razz  

Mia Darthorn

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:06 am
Even though the manga is hard to read because of the art at times I would still highly recommend giving it a read. There's some stuff in the manga that's not in the anime and such. That and it's rather hilarious in its own way too.

Which main character is it that irritates you? Usagi or Misaki? I'm just curious is all ^^.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:24 pm
I've seen a bit of it and I prefer the look of the anime to be honest, though I'll probably wind up reading it eventually out of curiosity xD

Misaki... thats the little brown haired kid right? I forgot a lot of the names >.>. Its not so much Misaki himself, more his kind of character in general has always irritated me. I don't usually like the Uke characters to begin with because a lot of the 'Uke cliche's' bother me unless their pulled off really well or made interesting somehow - and it helps if I really like the style of art XD

incidentally, I like Usagi a lot xD he's like a weirder, less emotionally screwed up version of Yuki Eiri - and he was in love with his best friend, which pretty much earned him instant favoritism xD I LOVE unrequited love angst, especially when its between best friends.  

Mia Darthorn

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 pm
LOL you noticed the similarities to Yuki in Usagi too? That was like the first thing I picked up on when I saw the manga.

I really like Misaki's kind of uke character. He's got a little more of a back bone and doesn't completely roll over and take Usagi's s***. It's kind of a nice change from the kind of uke that is all like "Oh I love you, I will do absolutely anything for you *Insert shoujo bubbles and hearts*!"

I am not the biggest fan of the unrequitted love bit though, I dunno, too sad for me.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:53 am
My first impression of Usagi was pretty much "oh its another Yuki" xD I was never a huge fan of Yuki though. his attitude kinda irritated me (and I really wanted Hiro to get Shuichi xD)

I find him loud and obnoxious and kind of immature xP he does have his good points through, I will admit. I do like that he tries to stand up for himself, and he can be pretty cute sometimes.

My favorite characters though, would definitely have to be Hiro and Nowaki. I love their story so much, and Nowaki is the most adorable seme EVER.
Thats kind of why I like it actually, I love tragic romance - even though I get depressed and cry really easily... I guess I'm just kind of masochistic? xD though unrequited love doesn't ALWAYS lead to or end with tragedy x3 sad stories with happy endings are the best kind - even if they are kind of rare.  

Mia Darthorn

protecterofelements

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:36 pm
if you wanna go and watch the anime now i suggest www.VEOH.com and just search it  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:40 am
Thanks, but I already watch it on Youtube. the person uploading has a new episode every week <3

Speaking of which, episode 6 has to be my favorite so far. The end was REALLY corny but damn if it didn't make me teary xD (and dammit Nowaki, STOP BEING SO CUTE D<)  

Mia Darthorn

Teh_Sheba

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:58 pm
Oh my gosh, I loved this series the instant I found it on Youtube!

It did remind me of Gravitation, but I like it alot more..
I love Usami(Usagi?)'s character, he's like Yuki, but SO much different. a lot less angsty which I actually like. He has the unrequitted love thing going on, but the only angst over that is in the first episode. He's just hilarious, I love his Bear...Especially when it becomes "Udon-Bear" compliments of Misaki!

And Misaki is also a lovable little Uke. And how about his Senpai? Do I smell a love triangle coming?? *giggles*

Gravitation was just really angsty, and this story just gets straight into business with less, well-executed angst. I love Gravitation, but this show has got to be my favorite!

And Nowaki/Hiro...Adorable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:21 am
Ooh. My favorite series! I fell in love with the manga. I basically flipped when I heard it was becomming an anime.
My favorite pair actually isn't Usagi/Misaki.
It's Nowaki/Hiro.
Then Miyagi/Shinobu. And then finally Usagi/Misaki.
XD

Katamari Syndrome

BlackKitty801

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am
i love the anime and the manga whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:18 pm
My favorite episode is ep 12, its sort of the first time that usagi is open with misagi. its so sweet!!!  

Decembers Rainstorm

6,400 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Mikado Yumi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:39 am
I'm in love with the anime and manga.
My favorite episodes..well all of them are my favorite. I should say I love watching more of Usami/Misaki. :3  
[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games