Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
~*~ [Blackmoondrops' Artwork] ~*~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free gold?
  Yes plz
View Results

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:49 pm
heart Hello there Fellow Artists. My name is Yasha. heart

A little bit about me:

I started drawing in preschool until someone told me that making a career as an artist was near impossible. So I gave up really until the 6th grade when I met my friend Megami introduced me to anime, and I became inspired again.
I've been drawing ever since. Since I've come to be in college I've come to realize that it's NOT near impossible to become a Graphic Artist. And thus I've been taking nothing but art classes since I got here.
As of now I've really only had traditional art classes, but I might occasionally color something in photoshop. Most of my current works are B&W in pencil or charcoal.

If you wish to see more of my art than what I post here you can take a look at my Deviantart page.

3nodding Thank you for visiting my thread *bows* 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:18 pm
To start off, here's a couple of my best portraits in a more realistic style that they teach us in art class:

User Image
(I apologize for the smallness. It was an accident on photobucket.)
User Image

In realism, the only thing that I have issues with right now is the fact that the scanner isn't picking up all of the shading on the skin. It makes me ANGRY!!! ROAR!!!  

blackmoondrops

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:29 pm
And here is an example of my more anime-ish style art:

User Image

Morag, A character for a comic I might do with a friend of mine.

User Image

Tira, Another character from the same comic

Over all I feel like my biggest problem is my anime art is in a stump. It's not going anywhere and I'm not sure how to improve it. Where I have a teacher in realistic art, but in anime I have nothing, and what I've learned in realism isnt really transferring over.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:19 am
Your ideas in anime aren't terrible. You really need to work on your anatomy, preferrably from life. It'd be nice to take a life drawing class. If you can't a site called posemaniacs.com is almost as good. And for other refrences you can use photos of real people, which is the least good option.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Anetra_Pendragon

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:44 pm
Both examples of your anime style are very small, whereas your realism piece was a large depiction of a face. Do you always draw your anime style in smaller, fullbody type pictures? You may be flatlining because there simply isn't enough space in a drawing that size to add more detail.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:44 pm
apiyo
Your ideas in anime aren't terrible. You really need to work on your anatomy, preferrably from life. It'd be nice to take a life drawing class. If you can't a site called posemaniacs.com is almost as good. And for other refrences you can use photos of real people, which is the least good option.

Actually I am currently enrolled in a life drawing class, and instead of helping my original anime style it created and improved ONLY my realistic style.
Maybe I should post some of my in-class work so you guys can see what I mean...  

blackmoondrops

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:47 pm
Anetra_Pendragon
Both examples of your anime style are very small, whereas your realism piece was a large depiction of a face. Do you always draw your anime style in smaller, fullbody type pictures? You may be flatlining because there simply isn't enough space in a drawing that size to add more detail.

Ah, I see your idea. My first art teacher in college said the same thing, about drawing bigger.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:47 pm
Thank you both for your advice 3nodding  

blackmoondrops

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:47 am
blackmoondrops
apiyo

Actually I am currently enrolled in a life drawing class, and instead of helping my original anime style it created and improved ONLY my realistic style.
Maybe I should post some of my in-class work so you guys can see what I mean...

Coolio, your so lucky to get to take life drawing class. Just apply what you learn about real people to anime-style. Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't get in anime that isn't an issue with realism?  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:05 pm
apiyo

Coolio, your so lucky to get to take life drawing class. Just apply what you learn about real people to anime-style. Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't get in anime that isn't an issue with realism?

Actually, I was hoping you could answer that question for me. It could just be the reference factor, but the point is that anime is a simplified version of life, and my anime isn't feeling life-like to me. Where as my sketches of naked people in class are life-full. I can see the difference, but pin pointing exactly what the problem is.... I have no idea.

Unfortunately my art book is required to be larger than life, and so I only have a few 1 minute poses that are small enough for me to stuff in my scanner.

User Image <> User Image

And I thought while I'm at it, I'd show you guys my one "successful" attempt at life-full anime. It's unfinished because I got lazy and then just left it that way. Some times I think I have ADD stare

User Image

Anyways, I'd appreciate any helpful input.  

blackmoondrops

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:58 pm
What a conundrum. ._____.;;;

I feel that since you are grasping anatomy in realism, mayhaps you just haven't seen enough semi-realism-anime style to put it to good use. Orrr, this is more plausible, your elements are working together cohesively.

If it's the first, that's easily fixed. C:
My fave semi-realism-anime artists are: kheleksul, ippus, pridgybombay(highly stylized), and mou-s.

For the second, I find that in your lifelike anime picture, there are many elements of realism that clash majorly with the elements of anime. The nose just stands out because generally in anime, you don't the nostril, and if you do, it's maybe a dot-ish thing.
Also, with hands, I've noticed that you basically keep them to one long finger-y thing instead of making them bend in your anime pictures. (I'm talking about "I like weird positions".) Although anime is simplified, the hands still have appendages. Sometimes two, sometimes three. (I'd go with three for a semi-realistic look.)
Your eyes are disconnected because they really aren't looking the same way! (Ahh!) The right eye is practically horizontal while the left eye tilts up to the left, making them unbalanced.

I can nitpick some more, but I think you get it. Just observe manga and anime styles that you like some more. Or try looking at art by semi-realism-anime artists that you like.

ALSO! Try drawing with a reference. I figure you have had references all through art classes so maybe you can't draw poses from your head just yet.

If you want a quick drawover, just ask. ;D Hope this helps!

PS - Your "I like weird positions" drawing shows very good use of anatomy, so I think you've got it covered.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:52 am
KotokoPlum
What a conundrum. ._____.;;;

I feel that since you are grasping anatomy in realism, mayhaps you just haven't seen enough semi-realism-anime style to put it to good use. Orrr, this is more plausible, your elements are working together cohesively.

If it's the first, that's easily fixed. C:
My fave semi-realism-anime artists are: kheleksul, ippus, pridgybombay(highly stylized), and mou-s.

For the second, I find that in your lifelike anime picture, there are many elements of realism that clash majorly with the elements of anime. The nose just stands out because generally in anime, you don't the nostril, and if you do, it's maybe a dot-ish thing.
Also, with hands, I've noticed that you basically keep them to one long finger-y thing instead of making them bend in your anime pictures. (I'm talking about "I like weird positions".) Although anime is simplified, the hands still have appendages. Sometimes two, sometimes three. (I'd go with three for a semi-realistic look.)
Your eyes are disconnected because they really aren't looking the same way! (Ahh!) The right eye is practically horizontal while the left eye tilts up to the left, making them unbalanced.

I can nitpick some more, but I think you get it. Just observe manga and anime styles that you like some more. Or try looking at art by semi-realism-anime artists that you like.

ALSO! Try drawing with a reference. I figure you have had references all through art classes so maybe you can't draw poses from your head just yet.

If you want a quick drawover, just ask. ;D Hope this helps!

PS - Your "I like weird positions" drawing shows very good use of anatomy, so I think you've got it covered.

Haha, thank you so much for your in depth study of my work. I shall try both of the things you suggested. biggrin  

blackmoondrops

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:55 pm
You're welcome. & sorry for all those missed words and typos. D:

It's prodigybombay, not pridgybombay. ;_____;
You can find them all on dA.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:58 pm
KotokoPlum
You're welcome. & sorry for all those missed words and typos. D:

It's prodigybombay, not pridgybombay. ;_____;
You can find them all on dA.

That does make more sense... even though screen names don't always make sense.
I figured, they didn't sound like normal artist names.  

blackmoondrops

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff