Submit

freak_unleashed

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:39 pm
Howdy all.
I have been looking around the guild and some online forums for a style of painting to apply to some figures I have coming in shortly. After checking a ton of worklogs and picture posts I have found one style that really stands out to me but have not seen any how-to's to achieve this finished product.
The painting I am referring to is that done by the guys at Rackham Store:

Some examples:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/images_produits/ZZDIVERS-26_1.jpg
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/images_produits/ZZDIVERS-27_1.jpg

They just seem so bright. I'll be working with some dwarves and goblins and think this will work well.

Does anyone know of any painting tutorials online that show techniques to achieve this type of look? Any help would be greatly appreciated smile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:46 am
right, well the armour and sword are painted in NMM (non-mettalic metal)(aka, where you paint something that looks like metal with only shades of non-metalic colours, like greys instead of silver) so you could try looking for a tutorial in NNM  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

freak_unleashed

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:29 pm
Ok thanks. The skin looks like the highlight is just blended/feathered into the main color and instead uses a more pronounced shadow.
Will look for some info on this NMM technique thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:25 am
The style you're asking about is the "french style"!
French painters usually use this "colorful" and "catoon-ish" style!
NMM is surely one of the tecniques you should look on, than have a look to the miniatures of the French GD 2008, you'll find more and more examples of their stunning style!
As far as "tutorials" are concerned... I'm afraid you'll find only french ones for this kind of style and, sincerely, I don't even know where you could find them! ^^

well...

Good luck! 3nodding  

LadyEren

Daughn

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:07 am
The key to achieving that sort of look is to hilight organic materials towards orange and to include blue in the metalics. The orange should be very yellow and the blue should lean towards purple. Citadel colour will probably not oblige you on either.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 am
This looks to me like a heavy application of blending. Sort of like in the Citidel mini paint guide, where they talk about the layers required to give it the shadow. But this looks like it required more mixing of personal colors, and for blending bright colors i have found starting in a mid tone, then using a heavily watered down shadow color, and the standard highlight color with a slightly damp brush works well. I use it on the Cockpits of my battle tech meks. Looks pretty good  

nikkigurlie

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff