Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Charlaine Harris

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read any Charlaine Harris books?
  Yes! A ton!
  Uh, maybe one....
  Who?
View Results

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:26 pm
I love this author. Her Sookie Stackhouse books are wonderful to read. They're about a telepathic waitress in Louisiana who gets involved with the vampires who have just shown the world they exist.

She has also written some mysteries, of which I'm not as fond. I do like her writing and she brings her characters to vivid life.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 pm
There are some opinions on it in this thread, which I realize somehow didn't make it into the directory. Since that's about the TV series, and this one about the books specifically, I'll leave this thread, though.

Anyway. The books are okay. Not my favorite. The one that came out last year--I don't even remember the title and I read it like three weeks ago--made me kinda mad. I've read every book in the series before it, but I don't lik it enough to also read Harris' anthologies. But I felt completely lost with respect to Sookie's new roommate because that was addressed in an anthology that I didn't read. All Together Dead, that was it. I had to look it up. Anyway. Yeah. That just annoyed me. I was too busy concentrating on that to pay attention to most of what else was going on in the book. I like her characters, and she's a good writer, but she was never my favorite, or even really close.  

NightIntent
Captain

MerrySoul

Sweetest Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 pm
I love her Sookie Stackhouse series but that is the only works of hers I like. I tried some book from her mystery series she wrote and I frankly did not like it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm
Oh, right. There's one other series by her that I've read. The one with Harper. I rather like it, probably more than the Sookie series. The characters are all more likeable, in my opinion. And the mysteries are more interesting.  

NightIntent
Captain

Wissakins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:06 am
Hmmm I can't remember Harper, but then it's been a while since I've read her stuff. Is that the character who can feel dead people and how they died? Grave Sight, Grave Surprise, and An Ice Cold Grave are those books I think...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 am
Yep, those are the ones. I've only read the first two, 'cause I'm waiting for An Ice Cold Grave to come out in paperback. But I much prefer Harper to Sookie so far.  

NightIntent
Captain

Wissakins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:43 am
Harper is a great character. I've been trying to find a copy of An Ice Cold Grave. Apparently, I'll have to wait til paperback too. hehe  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 am
I just read the new Sookie Stackhouse novel. I'm not entirely sure where Harris is going with her anymore. I was perplexed at the new turns the story had taken. I did enjoy it a lot though. I read it in 2 days. lol
It was odd because you get halfway through the book and go "well that's where it would usually end...what's going on now?" So, yea, it was different than the others, but still a good read.  

Wissakins

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:07 pm
I started the first book, but haven't quite finished it. I have trouble getting distracted and bouncing from book to book. I plan to finish it... eventually.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:53 am
Has anyone heard of True Blood, the HBO television series based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris? I like the advertising campaign ("Friends don't drink from friends. Drink TruBlood.") but don't know if the series is going to be worth watching. I do know that Anna Paquin, who played Rogue in the X-Men movies is going to play the lead character.
What does everyone think of it?

godhi

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:54 am
godhi
Has anyone heard of True Blood, the HBO television series based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris? I like the advertising campaign ("Friends don't drink from friends. Drink TruBlood.") but don't know if the series is going to be worth watching. I do know that Anna Paquin, who played Rogue in the X-Men movies is going to play the lead character.
What does everyone think of it?

Heard of it. Saw the ads. There's a thread about it, that I linked in my first post in this thread. The TruBlood drink ads were kinda annoying to me. But I don't like any of those synthetic blood drinks, whether they're used as a marketing campaign or not. Sadly, I can't give my opinion of the actual series because I don't have HBO.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 am
I have read the books and watched the series, I don't know whether I really believe that there could be such a person as Sookie Stackhouse, she isn't able to be around people without having to work hard to block out their thoughts yet she works at a bar. She is also surrounded by the supernatural and only realizes after a vampire walks into her life even though she has fairy blood in her veins, it just doesn't seem plausible.  

witchhunterrobin80

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out