Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll.
  Gold.
View Results

Hope Is The Fear-Killer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:29 pm
I've been researching the nature of fear, and what makes experiences, literature, and film truly frightening. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress, not having access to any academic databases due to my unfortunate lack of a library card.

So far I've been able to glean a bit of information simply from "scary" movies--to be specific, the subject matter of horror movies. It all varies too much for me to make generalizations, though.

What do you think makes movies or stories scary?
Do you know of any really scary sites or sites that go into detail on horror?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 pm
XD <3 Is that the Schrodinger's cat paradox in your sig? That's awesome.

I think it's that suspense factor... not knowing when something will happen. It takes control away from the movie watcher.

I don't know of any scary sites... I stay away from anything scary, myself. XD;;
Like... I can watch movies like the Sixth Sense. Even though it has scary moments and has a bit of blood, it's more of a suspense mystery movie to me.
I normally stay away from anything that's gory. I really don't like blood or that kind of stuff, so watching things like that makes me squeam.

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

BlackRoseDahlia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:57 pm
Not to sound like a total baby. But...I'm deathly scare of things that can be identified as "Shadow People". And also, obviously...the dark...which is where they come from. I believe something traumatized me from my childhood because my dad says that I used to draw things like that...or things that resemble the girl (*Samara*) from the ring. I think that was a stupid-funny-scary movie...but...it's still kinda spooky to me. Anyways...if anyone has gotten this far into the dang paragraph...PM after you have researched...alllll the way...what shadow people might be...or what they really are. ttyal...^-^...

-xoxo...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:56 pm
ninja I fear... a lot of stuff.

Movies and stories are scary when they can take the total sense of realism and make something we fear, such as darkness, become our undoing.  

pathetic_negi_magician

Rob the Crowing

Profitable Sex Symbol

9,275 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:44 pm
What frightens me the most is thinks one cannot see but are there...like demonic spirits...I do believe in them but i do not worship them...i am catholic...i think I got off topic xDDDD

PS hello PWU Haven't been here in a while!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:15 pm
what's going to happen next, what lies in the darkness, what is it?

To me it seems that most are afraid of the unknown or what we dont understand. Not to mention are minds do not help the situation most of the time, tending to go to the extreme.

Interesting topic. Have you tried accessing databases via your school library?  

Blaiz

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff