Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
285th Brimlock Dragoons Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrackaDoom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:49 pm
I'm making this thread to show off my primary army, the 285th Brimlock dragoons, which includes my Armoured and Heavy Mechanised elements. I'll be adding things to this as I get them finished and photo'd

This was the first tank I built for my armoured company, "Goyders Wrath", a DTH:
User Image
User Image

This is my first MBT, "Peanuts Might" (better photos forthcoming):
User Image
User Image

More coming....  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 pm
Those look awesome.  

sossos157

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 am
That boxy turret on the Chimera reminds me of the KV-2.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 pm
Lady Blodwynn
That boxy turret on the Chimera reminds me of the KV-2.

I hear that alot, actually, though I didn't really aim for that in particular when I built them.

I'm considering a different urban camo scheme, something a bit lighter.  

CrackaDoom

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 am
KV looks nice, only the sponsons don't seem to mesh in that well.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:18 pm
Lt. Brookman
KV looks nice, only the sponsons don't seem to mesh in that well.

They don't, at least on that particular machine. I got the hull used, and pre-assembled, and had to remove the pontoons to get everything on that I wanted. Unfortunatly, despite my best efforts, I couldn't remove every last bit. On the later models I bought fresh hulls, so they are much more flush.

Pics of the command tank are coming soon, I just have to finish painting it.  

CrackaDoom

CrackaDoom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:46 pm
So, my command tank is undergoing painting, and I have another MBT in the pipeline, but I'm really looking for something new. My scratch built plane crashed and burned, so I think I'll stick with my first love: Tracks and Armour.

I was thinking of mocking up my own Hydra varient. I really like the look of the Wirblewind (I don't think I just spelled that right), so I figure I'l do as I have with my other vehicles so far, and just scratch build a turret. Something like this:

User Image

And I'll modify the Hull to fit it on. I'm going to start measuring and drawing out templates for it tonight. On a related note, since it will be a member of a different company than my MBTs, I'll use it as a test canvas for a new paint scheme, and have an excuse as to why it's the only one who looks different. I', going to try for a pattern similar to this here I think:

User Image

Thoughts? Comments?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 am
Just be sure to build the Wirbelwind turret to 40k scale, I cringe at the sight of 1:35 scaled tanks being used in 40k games.

Plane camo looks okay, but it would've been better if the top was all camo and the mottled camo was used for the bottom.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

CrackaDoom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:02 am
Lt. Brookman
Just be sure to build the Wirbelwind turret to 40k scale, I cringe at the sight of 1:35 scaled tanks being used in 40k games.

Plane camo looks okay, but it would've been better if the top was all camo and the mottled camo was used for the bottom.

Me as well. When you compare the "battle cannon" or replica models to a real battle cannon, the difference is rather pronounced. I plan the copy the shape of the wirbelwind, but meausre it to fit a chimera hull, and with quad ACs. It will probably be enclosed as well, with a hatch, unlike the real life equivalent.

Well, I'm trying to decide how to convert that pattern to my tanks. I like the look of it, I just have to decide how to transfer it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:24 pm
I got started on the turret for my Hydra. I measured and drew up a template, then cut the plasticard from that. It's about half way done. It will be a wee larger then I had intended, but I think that will be alright. I'll post some WIP pics tommarrow.  

CrackaDoom

CrackaDoom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 pm
So it's a litte late, but here is the bottom half of my wirbelwind/Hydra turret. Now I just need to copy it for the top half, and throw all those little extras (like guns!) on.

User Image
User Image

It's a bit rough, but I'll smooth it out for final assembly.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:09 pm
*whistles* nice... i like the turret you are trying to replicate, if you pull it off it would be an awesome looking !

i love custom builds. i am working on a land raider myself (not for tournament gaming as it breaks just a few rules, lol) it will be based on the terminus ultra, just with bolters instead of lascannons, in other words, a varient built for infantry hunting. i will use both the weapon ports on each side of the tank filled with crusader Hurricane Bolters, thats 24 shots already, then assualt guns on the front, and a storm bolter on the top. or i will assemble assault gun sponsons instead, like the normal lascannon sponsons, just with a pair of assualt guns instead
this will take at least a pair of crusaders to build tho, so will probs enlarge with plasitcard and modify the hull slightly so it becomes an apocalypse super heavy, like the Brass Scorpion of Chaos is a pair of defilers to form a super heavy.  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:38 am
btw, whats a "wirblewind"? a whirlwind?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am
fire - link
btw, whats a "wirblewind"? a whirlwind?
German for Whirlwind and a WWII era flak-panzer.

Seeing as I'm talking gibberish to you unwashed masses, oh look! A picture of an actual Wirbelwind!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

CrackaDoom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:44 pm
Thank you for the pic Lt xd

Progress has been slow, seeing as how I'm in the process of moving...

EDIT: After seeing a scratch built plane another guy is working on, I'm considering revisiting that lightning I abandoned. I'd have to draw my own templates again, and it wouldn't really look much like a regular lightning, but I could just use it for "counts as" and arm it with the appropriate weapons for some air-ground Dakka Dakka cool  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff