Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Zero's Art thread [New art soon!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zero Sylis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:22 pm
Hey everyone, I'm new to this guild and to Gaia, so hi I'm Zero. I really want to learn how to get better at photoshop art. I know I'm not that good. I would really love some advice and tips, and if you just want to say what you think I'd really like to hear it. Thank you everyone.

~Zero

User Image

First signature I ever made. I love Fooly Cooly smile

User Image

Another Fooly Cooly.

User Image

I really didn't know what I was doing stare

User Image

Messing with colors.

User Image

Love the movie, if you haven't seen it I recommend it.

User Image

If you can't tell, its a razor with blood.

User Image

Made that one last night.

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:14 pm
My favorite is the second banner, it gives emotion when I look at it, which is always a good thing. I think you are getting caught up with using all these textures and filters on PS that really aren't needed at all. Think more about the composition in your banners, you have to say a lot in a tiny space. Make sure your images are clear, which is a slight problem in the one with the razor blade.
In conclusion keep it up and remember simplicity can make a strong image too.  

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:21 am
Since the forum is for critique, it doesn't make sense to ask for it in the title. We'd prefer that you name it with your name so people know the thread. Have you read the guidelines for the forums? If not, it would be in your best interests to do so.

As for the banners, I think they lack thought. What I think you should do is start to look at your space that you need to fill. Think about how you want someone's eye to move across it. Take the first one for example. You've got a lot of contrast there. It stands out and the shape of where the edges meet will tell the eye where to look.

You want to pick a place for people to look. This is your focal point. Then, you can make it stand out with things like contrast, size, line, and color. The key is contrast. If you have contrast going everywhere, then there's no where to focus. Be in control of the image.

The first one is a good example. (By the way, be careful using images you didn't create. Supply a source if you can. If you can't supply a source, at least make it clear what you did actually do yourself.) The ball of yellow in the red makes a focal point that the eye is drawn to. The dark shape leads up to the right and pretty much points to the name. That's the only one that looks like it's got some kind of design. Everything else looks like you either didn't do anything at all (Furi Kuri) or that you just didn't think about what you were doing.

Also, avoid script unless there's a reason. It's hard to read and hard to see period. Defeats the purpose of having the text if you can't read it. Unless it's not supposed to be read, in say a pattern or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 pm
Thanks for the tips. But what I really want to learn is how to make my own art from like scratch. Like on the art forums you see the people making avatar art and fan art. Is there a special program or something? If I can use photoshop, do you guys have any tips? sweatdrop  

Zero Sylis

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:42 am
Gwah! I don’t mean to come off as rude, but what you said above really annoys me. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s not you, it’s everyone that assumes that in order to be an artist you have to have some sort of expensive art program. Yes, expensive art programs, such as Photoshop, will give you a bit of a leg up in the digital world, but unless you have talent a program will do nothing for you.
If you want to lean how to create your own work, the best thing I can suggest is getting a piece of paper and a pencil and practice, practice, practice! A art program does not give you artistic ability, creativity, diligence, practice and time does.
At first things may be hard and frustrating and you may think, “Damn it, I can’t draw to save my life!” but you can’t expect to be good at everything right off the bat. Getting good at something, especially art, takes time, lots… and lots… and lots of time. The biggest things to remember though are:
1) Don’t get down on your self.
2)Don’t give up.
3)Practice makes perfect!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:14 am
All you need is something to draw with and something to draw on. Pencil and paper is good enough. And as Wakka said, be patient with yourself. It will be crappy when you first start. You won't be successful overnight. Just draw something. Anything.

I can't help you draw better. I can share with you theories that made my drawings better though. First, you have to draw something. So go draw. Post it here when you're done.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Zero Sylis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 am
Alright, I will go and buy a new sketchbook and materials today. But how do I get the pictures on here if I have no scanner? Is there any other ways? Also, do you guys have tips for sketching? I'm not terrible but I'm not good. Thanks for all the advice and help so far everyone!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:28 pm
I usually sketch on printer paper, but if a sketch book is what you prefer all the power to you. If you don't have a scanner you can take a photo with a digital camera, be careful though because it can easily end up out of focus. Other then that I can't think of anything.
hmm tips for sketching... well I think that you have to be aware that everyone sketches differently so what I would recommend for someone who draws some people at the bus stop would be different then someone who doodles a cartoon character. If you are drawing from life I think the best idea would be to take your time and really understand what you are looking at and what it looks like from the angle you are on. If it is a person you need to figure out what is important and keep those aspects when you simplify onto paper.
As mentioned by others, don't be discouraged if your work doesn't turn out excellent the first time around. Take that chance of messing it up to see what is wrong so you will know for next time. Also, I find I usually need to warm up so my first few pictures will not be as strong as the rest I've done that day.
Hope that helps.  

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:32 pm
You can always scan at the library as well. All my figure work is on large paper(18x24) so I use a digital camera for that. You don't need to get much. Just grab some printer paper or a cheap notebook. Just be sure there are no lines. (Personally, I hate sketchbooks because I like smooth paper like layout bond or vellum. Sketch paper is usually rough and costs more than it's worth. Go for newsprint if you want to save money. It's cheap and most of the stuff you do at the beginning you won't want to keep for long anyway. I look forward to seeing your stuff. (Don't forget to have fun. Sometimes we get a bit too serious and forget that we like art for a reason.)  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games