31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
OMG! Another Potter Buddy! *high five*
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

SavageDamsal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:27 am
I will admit it, I'm a Harry Potter fan. I see the church attacking it so much as a kind of hipocracy. I mean, because I read it, does that mean now I'm going to suddenly leave everything I've ever been taught and now worship Satan? Of course not! It's like people don't trust their kids to have minds and think for themselves. Have you noticed though, that since the last book came out and the hype dyed down that the church kind of backed off HP and turned to The Golden Compass? Now, I've read the Golden Compass too but only part of it since I got bored near the end. I do know that the author wrote it in some attempt to become an aethistic CS Lewis. There's something about the kids killing God in the last book or whatever, I don't know anything about that. My question to you is, why do you think this stuff is/isn't wrong? If I know how to think for myself and I know what I am reading/watching is not what I believe, that is is in fact FICTION, why is it bad for me to keep reading/watching?

Plus, I have only heard one person that hadn't read Harry Potter that was able to debate me on this matter so if you intend to try, please at least know what you're talking about!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:33 am
WHOOO! I love Harry Potter!!! xd

A couple of years ago, my mom was a very strict mother... stressed
She wouldn't let me read Harry Potter. stare I was so mad. Soon, though, she realized it's just fiction. If the church says you can't read/watch Harry Potter, then you may as well never watch anything fiction ever again. xd I can understand what their point is, though... it's magic, and Jesus commanded us to never perform magic...

OH!

Did you catch that? Not perform... xd Of course, not indulge either, but it's not real. If we were like, going to crazy Wiccan things and stuff, then you would have to be careful, unless you were witnessing. So yeah... I think the church is just over dramatizing... they do that too much. stare

x unobstructed pencil x

SavageDamsal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am
Exactly, I mean I can understand with kids. Kids have a more difficult time understanding the lines between truth and fiction. If I had a kid I wouldn't let them read Harry Potter until they were at least ten or eleven (which is when I started to) but I would never ban my children from things like that. If you tell your children they can't do something and you don't give them reasons, when they leave the home they will just do it or something similar because they don't know why they shouldn't. Example -

"Don't have sex until you're married."
"Why?"
"Because it's bad."

Whose to say they aren't just going to go have "sexual relations" and not have sex. They could still get an STD or something because you didn't tell them reasonings. It's the same with books.

"You can't read that."
"Why?"
"Because it's bad."

Then they're going to grow up not knowing truth from fiction, get involved in some kind of cult, etc. My parents taught me early on to think for myself and to analyze everything I read, watching, listen to, etc. As such I have decided not to have sex until I'm married, not to drink, smoke, do drugs, etc because I know the consequences far outweigh the benefits. I think there is a distinct lack in this generation in thinking for themselves and being able to think beyond the current moment. They don't think about what will happen to their lungs fourty years from now if they keep up smoking. They don't think about how they could possibly get STDs or pregnant just from having sex once. This is a problem that I think is not being helped at all by the attude of parents who simply want to shelter their children, not help them grow.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am
I think people who see Harry Potter as evil are well, pretty ridiculous. I feel like is a simple work of fiction is enough to lead you off God's path, then your faith wasn't very strong to begin with and you obviously have some other things you and God need to work out.

It's fiction- it's just some leisurely reading a lot of people enjoy. JK Rowling has come out and said she made all of it up. I don't see the harm in it.

Though I love what she said when someone asked how she feels about people burning her books. Her reply was "Well, they have to buy them either way. I don't really care what they do after they buy it." Good for her!

freelance lover
Crew

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
It's the same thing as the "Golden Compass". Well, that book was made to lead children astray, but I mean, if you can read it and be fine, go ahead. It's like you're going to start looking for Hogwarts. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:07 pm
freelance lover
I think people who see Harry Potter as evil are well, pretty ridiculous. I feel like is a simple work of fiction is enough to lead you off God's path, then your faith wasn't very strong to begin with and you obviously have some other things you and God need to work out.

It's fiction- it's just some leisurely reading a lot of people enjoy. JK Rowling has come out and said she made all of it up. I don't see the harm in it.

Though I love what she said when someone asked how she feels about people burning her books. Her reply was "Well, they have to buy them either way. I don't really care what they do after they buy it." Good for her!

Agreed on all points. I mean, the people who are against Harry Potter are also the people who have tried to get D&D books restricted or banned. It's FANTASY. This isn't a book of fact, this isn't a handbook on how to go around performing magic, and in fact the major theme of the book is that love overcomes all (which got kinda irritating after having it shoved in my face for 7 novels). If you're a person who can't draw the line between realty and fantasy, there's a deeper issue at work than a kid wizard.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:29 pm
ryuu_chan
freelance lover

Agreed on all points. I mean, the people who are against Harry Potter are also the people who have tried to get D&D books restricted or banned. It's FANTASY. This isn't a book of fact, this isn't a handbook on how to go around performing magic, and in fact the major theme of the book is that love overcomes all (which got kinda irritating after having it shoved in my face for 7 novels). If you're a person who can't draw the line between realty and fantasy, there's a deeper issue at work than a kid wizard.

Totally. Also, the Christian undertones in the seventh book I was like HOLY JAHFJKAHFKJA. I mean, there was a Bible verse written on James and Lily's tombstone.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 pm
I agree. It's like people condemming metal because it doesn't fit in with their small, box idea of Christianity. I mean, seriously, I don't understand how you cannot like The Trooper?  

GuardianAngel44

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:16 am
Well, I find the people saying Harry Potter is evil are the same people saying you shouldn't watch movies that use God's name in vain (at all... stare ) or listen to secular music.

(I used this example from my boyfriend's parents. They are psychotic. xd )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:20 am
Don't get me wrong but I do see Harry Potter a possible demonic influence on children and adults. Now, we all know that Harry Potter's material is based on the occult nature. I know these books are fantasy novels and sure many people find it harmless. If these children and adults opened their minds into belief of the occult, then its a every dangerous issue. Demonic influences are every real and you will be surprised it takes little effort to invite them. There is a long history of demonic influences with Ouji boards, magic tricks, music, games, television and etc. If you were a Christian who reads these books for entertainment purposes then its ok but I don't suggest it.  

Metanoeo

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:53 am
It has no relation to the occult whatsoever. All of the spell words come from latin. There is no possible way that if I picked up a stick, pointed it at someone and said Avada Kedavra, it would kill them.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 am
Reformed Baptist
Don't get me wrong but I do see Harry Potter a possible demonic influence on children and adults. Now, we all know that Harry Potter's material is based on the occult nature. I know these books are fantasy novels and sure many people find it harmless. If these children and adults opened their minds into belief of the occult, then its a every dangerous issue. Demonic influences are every real and you will be surprised it takes little effort to invite them. There is a long history of demonic influences with Ouji boards, magic tricks, music, games, television and etc. If you were a Christian who reads these books for entertainment purposes then its ok but I don't suggest it.

The thing is if Harry Potter is opening your mind to the occult, then you're obviously have some issues dealing with the difference between reality and fiction. JKR has falt out said she made all of it up.

If your dabbling in the occult, there are probably other influences and you can't just limit it to Hary Potter- especially when practically everyone in the English speaking world has read it or seen the movies.

freelance lover
Crew

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:13 pm
Meh...

Harry Potter and D&D have nothing to do with the occult. It's all fantasy. Not real. Any one who thinks it is has bigger issues than an interest in the occult. I've been Wiccan. There was no firing lightning bolts out of sticks and we didn't ride around on brooms.

And why are wizards and magic and demons ok in LotR but not in other things?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm
I think it's funny. Harry Potter was a great series, though I did have some complaints around the time the fifth one came out.

'Nough said.  

Lethkhar

SavageDamsal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:59 pm
Ixor-san
Meh...

Harry Potter and D&D have nothing to do with the occult. It's all fantasy. Not real. Any one who thinks it is has bigger issues than an interest in the occult. I've been Wiccan. There was no firing lightning bolts out of sticks and we didn't ride around on brooms.

And why are wizards and magic and demons ok in LotR but not in other things?

Not everyone thinks that LotR is ok but those who actually know what they're talking about know that LotR is an allegory and mirrors the battle between good and evil. Narnia is the same too. JRR Tolkein and CS Lewis were friends.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff