Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Changing Tastes Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have your tastes changed?
  Yes.
  No.
  Maybe a little.
View Results

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:43 pm
Do you find that your tastes in yaoi are changing or have changed since you first got into it? I don't mean changing fandoms, I mean your actual preferences in what you want out of what you read or view like age of character, hair color preferences, relationship dynamics, moving from boy love to hardcore yaoi, etc.

Personally, when I started, I'd read anything. Then I started being pickier about what I'd read because not everybody does it well. The same goes for BL manga. I started out reading everything, but as time went on, I'd figure out which mangaka put out better books and stuck with them.

These days, I want to read good quality stuff with a decent plot and likable characters. But most notably, I prefer older characters to a bunch of teen couples. I know a lot of people out there freak out over older couples cause they're icky, but I really find it much sexier than a sniveling crying uke and some jerky bad attitude jock getting it on in the school gym.

P.S. I'm in the avvie arena right now. Vote for me?Thanks for your votes guys! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Ohhhh, yeah, there's been a change. Like you, when I first got into BL, I would read almost anything. Although it was necessary for a while -- Gravitation had only just come out stateside when I became a fan, and I wasn't yet aware of online scanlations. I was fine with those stories with by-the-book seme/uke, manly/girly, stoic/weepy, etc. dichotomies for a while, but eventually I was like, s**t. D: These are all the same, except some have halfway-decent art.

So now I read a lot less frequently, but (I feel) BL of a lot more quality. The guys I prefer have generally gotten somewhat older and stubblier, too. But there's nothing wrong with a skinny teenager every now and then.

And..
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Skizzors
Crew

User_2629207

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 pm
Rulin' ya universes...

My tastes have changed a lot ^^ I used to like fluffy school stories with girly characters... I didn't care much about storyline at all. Now, I like yaoi with more interesting stories, grown up and manlier characters that DON'T look like 10-year old girls, and of course, more explicit yaoi smile Like Kisaragi Hirotaka, Yamano Ayane and Yamada Yugi. They make good stuff.
...since 1992.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 am
yeah my tastes have definatly changed over time and they might continue to change as time goes on  

protecterofelements

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:00 am
I can't say that my tastes have changed that much. I've always been picky about my manga and anime long before I got into yaoi, so I always look for good art and good plot... (or what little plot there is in yaoi ^^)
I can say, that I've gotten more into more hardcore stuff, though, and come to appriciate things like twincest or even threesomes if it's done well ...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:25 am
I fully understand what you're getting at. When I first got into BL(heh heh) I was very very innocent. I used to read mostly light BL stuff. As the years went by, I started to read for explicit manga. It still embarasses me when it comes to sex scenes haha because I still have to look over my shoulder but I know waaaay more than I did when I started. Right now, I prefer a more mature coupling rather than the most extremely uke character ever and I like an actual plot where there is a plausible reason for why the characters are doing each other. Actually...as I went along, I may have become a little more mentally sadistic. 3nodding  

Mika_Clari

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 am
Katastrophic_Kate
I can't say that my tastes have changed that much. I've always been picky about my manga and anime long before I got into yaoi, so I always look for good art and good plot... (or what little plot there is in yaoi ^^)
I can say, that I've gotten more into more hardcore stuff, though, and come to appriciate things like twincest or even threesomes if it's done well ...

I am pretty much exactly the same as you... only my dislike for twincest and incest still remains... >> <<  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:35 pm
I started out really shy about it, so I only read very light stuff with no lemons at all and very soft pairings; I didn't read twincest/incest, for example.
Then Elricest became my OTP. XD Go figure.
The fandom that got me into yaoi first was for a movie called Newsies, which is a live action movie so of course I was reading about real boys, and I hated fanfiction that would depict them with girly personalities that you see a lot in anime fandoms (e.g. crying, whining, being cutesy, being described with feminine adjectives, etc.).
Moving on to anime, I got kind of used to seeing that a lot, especially in Naruto, and then my dislike for it came back and now I only read stuff where the characters actually act like, you know, themselves.  

retice

Michei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm
heh, can't go through the list of that, sweatdrop yeah my taste has changed alot, from SD to GW, to YuGiOh, to GW again, to YnM, to Naruto, to DeathNote, to others I still can't remember,, xp  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:08 pm
I used to love yaoi and bl in all forms, but now I'm mainly in to well written Hurt/comfort, dramatic, or romantic Yaoi  

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Total Darkness

Durem Noob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:44 pm
Yeah, my tastes have changed. Same like, I'd read pretty much anything. Didn't matter what in entailed, but I'd read it. Now, I'm not so much of a fan of yaoi anymore. I more like shounen-ai/BL or whatever you want to call it. I like more fluffy and cute stuff, but not overly so. I like seeing hugging and such, and not so much the graphic scenes. I prefer more romantic stuff...maybe because I'm sucj a hopeless romantic myself. XDD  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:51 pm
I used to like the cutesy BL stuff, but now I like, like you said, stories that have good plots and characters. I'll still read BL manga because some I just really want to look at the way the artists draw the characters. I can't draw, so I like looking at well drawn pictures. Some of the high school story plots are boring and childish, but some are intriguing.  

xBriar_Rose

Aekea Mystic

20,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

Miami 1989

Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 am
Oh yea! I find myself hating the fact that a lot of the guys aren't even buff guy looking guys! D: I've been getting into more guys with facial hair...O_o  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:25 pm
xThexAnimexNinjax
Oh yea! I find myself hating the fact that a lot of the guys aren't even buff guy looking guys! D: I've been getting into more guys with facial hair...O_o
Rulin' ya universes...

xD me too! I don't like full on BEARDS, but like stubble or goatees etc.
I've also started preferring a bit more muscular men, not scary-muscular, but slightly toned... just as long as they look like they'll actually SURVIVE sex.
...since 1992.

User_2629207

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas