Do you like them?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe
View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:39 pm
Graphic novels are becoming increasingly popular and common. More and more fantasy authors are having their popular stories turned into graphic novels or they are writing their own graphic novels. What do ya'll think about it?

I enjoy seeing the renditions of some of my favorite characters and scenes. On the other hand, some of the renditions make me cringe. R.A. Salvatore had the 1st three Drizzit books made into graphic novels. The first was done by someone who was a huge fan and Drizzit and it was really good. The next one was done by some one else and was horrible (in my opinion). Also, the graphic novels don't cover the entire story, some parts are just glossed over and they are very expensive.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:26 pm
I'm looking forward to the Mercy comic books and the Dresden Files ones. Other than that, I don't think I'm really interested in any.

I do think it's interesting that so many fantasy authors are starting to do graphic novels. To me, it kinda reflects how damn lazy people are these days. Instead of going through the effort of reading an entire book and imagining what's going one, people can now pick up a graphic novel and take the easy way out. Are we killing off kids' imaginations with this proliferation of graphic novels? Who knows. I suppose we'll find out in a few years or something. Still. Graphic novels are, in my opinion, the lazy way of reading books.

I kinda hope that both the Mercy and Dresden Files graphic novels are seperate story arcs. I kinda doubt it, but I really hope they are. It'd be really nice, and then it might get more people interested in both series without giving away the actual books.  

NightIntent
Captain

FantasyHearts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 pm
I quite enjoy many graphic novels, but I am afraid to read ones based off of stories I've read. I love those that are originally graphic novels, such as Far, Far Away, but to me, a graphic novel based on a fantasy novel, is as scary as seeing the movie. I fear the story shall be ruined and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:12 pm
At least for Patricia Briggs' Mercy books being turned into graphic novels, she's the one deciding what gets put into the book and how the scenes look, not the artists. So if it follows the original storyline, it should stay fairly true to the series. I hope. Obviously, some things are going to get cut out, but hopefully nothing major like they somehow manage to do with movies. I hope they're good~  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 pm
If the author is directing the book it will probably turn out okay. It is when the author gives the artist a free rein that the books seem to come out like the movies do.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 pm
NightIntent
I'm looking forward to the Mercy comic books and the Dresden Files ones. Other than that, I don't think I'm really interested in any.

I do think it's interesting that so many fantasy authors are starting to do graphic novels. To me, it kinda reflects how damn lazy people are these days. Instead of going through the effort of reading an entire book and imagining what's going one, people can now pick up a graphic novel and take the easy way out. Are we killing off kids' imaginations with this proliferation of graphic novels? Who knows. I suppose we'll find out in a few years or something. Still. Graphic novels are, in my opinion, the lazy way of reading books.

I kinda hope that both the Mercy and Dresden Files graphic novels are seperate story arcs. I kinda doubt it, but I really hope they are. It'd be really nice, and then it might get more people interested in both series without giving away the actual books.

A good graphic novel can be brilliant, generally better than an ok book, of course there will always be shoddy ones (like the ones which are movie tie ins for children) though. I could get into arguments over the artistic merit and supposed "dumbing down" of children by comics which I'm not in the right frame of mind for right now but the newest Buffy comics and Sandman in general and the Stardust and Neverwhere adaptations come to the mind at the moment as examples of what a great graphic novel can do. I'd recommend them to anyone, even if they are 'the lazy way of reading books' xd .
I think I read that the Dresden Files ones are a kind of prequal of sorts to the books, you can probably find out more on Jim Butcher's website
3nodding  

Merlinssister

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 pm
For anyone interested, here are some samples from the Dresden Files comic coming out later this year:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=148291  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 pm
It didn't look too bad. I am hopeful.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Kalathandra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 am
I like graphic novels, they're fun to read, its an interesting break from novels  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 pm
I do enjoy the fantasy & sci-fi graphic novels that are written by Japanese, Chinese, or Korean authors. Their culture and myths are different from Western and it comes out in their writing. I've read so much Western suff it has all started to run together and all the stories are starting to sound the same to me.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Darth_Magus1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 am
I have the first 2 Dragonlance graphic novels and they're not bad. At least somebody's giving it a try lol Besides with the increase interest in manga the last several years, people are smarting up and branching out into graphic novels as a new way to show the story they want to tell. So better than nothing lol  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm
Darth_Magus1
I have the first 2 Dragonlance graphic novels and they're not bad. At least somebody's giving it a try lol Besides with the increase interest in manga the last several years, people are smarting up and branching out into graphic novels as a new way to show the story they want to tell. So better than nothing lol

Perhaps, though I think movies of fantasy books have shown us that sometimes nothing is better.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

bunnyrulerofthemoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:02 pm
I like graphic novels in general, but graphic novels based on fantasy books kinda scares me. I prefer the book and I think a comic would ruin it for me.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:12 pm
They are fun some of characters didn't work out for in the Artemis Fowl one  

Xenologista

chessiejo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:56 am
they can be good or bad just like manga or regular novels, depending on the skill of those who make them.

my favorite is Sandman by Neil Gaiman; it is creepy but fascinating.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff