Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:24 am

GW has a tool for almost every job but in all honesty, they don't have everything or have the proper design for such things.

1. Revell (Revell Monogram in the US) Contacta glue.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
GW sells good plastic glue, only the bottle for application of this is poorly designed and not a great way to carefully apply small amounts of it. Before I got into Warhammer I built a model kit from time to time and for that I used these handy dispensers. Perfect for carefully applying glue to small areas and easy to dose. Only downside to this is that the "needle" can clog very easily when left unattended and not easy to clean, unless you have small rods of 0,02mm around.

2. Tamiya Weathering Master.
To me, there is no better company for model kits than Tamiya, a Japanese company who has been at it since the sixties and has yet to fail. They offer special small weathering kits for use with their model kits, which may look somewhat like mascara boxes, but are in effect great ways of applying weathering and dirt effects.

So, do you people have any handy non-standard GW tools or hobby aids that you use?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am

I also use glue that looks like that, but it's from Humbrol.

I never buy GW cutting tools I get mine at work, and they're professional worker tools and thus cut more smooth and precise, I do the same with my pinning tools, getting the drills at work.

That weathering kit looks interesting... I have to suggest this kit to my local store!

Shinobi_8745

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:44 am

The Tamiya "Electric handy Drill" might look like a toy, but it is in fact an outstanding low speed drill especially designed for plastic, wood and cheap GW metal. It runs on two AA batteries and requires assembly but shouldn't be too hard to do. I mean I built mine without a hitch and I'm gifted with two left hands. The device comes with a single drill though it can also hold GW issue drills or your own ironware store drills. The price is also a plus, costing no more than $20,- in most stores.

Tamiya Weathering Stick - mud.
After trying out the master set I had to try one of these sticks, which are promoted as the easiest way of applying dirt, snow and sand to your models. And it is not a lie for once, even a dolt like myself can use this to good effect. Best of all it costs almost nothing, a mere €3,- or $5,- for a pen-sized stick of the material of your choice.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:51 pm

I use Zap a Gap glue, some glue accelerant from a hobby shop. Other than that, things like my knives and files are all stuff from hardware stores, and I just use other knives and brushes from my art supplies.

Only GW stuff I mess with is their paint.

King Kento

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Do you mean Zip Kicker by any chance? I got a bottle of that stuff yesterday and while it works like a charm on metal I am not sure of its effect on resin.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:23 am

Lt. Brookman
Do you mean Zip Kicker by any chance? I got a bottle of that stuff yesterday and while it works like a charm on metal I am not sure of its effect on resin.

Nope "Zap a Gap"

King Kento

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:42 am

King Kento
Lt. Brookman

Nope "Zap a Gap"
Ah, that stuff. It's from the same company that I got my kicker and also an accelerator.

Does anybody know of any good putty that is NOT green stuff that I can easily apply to a large surface, smoothen out, let dry for a bit and then carve stuff into while still semi-soft?
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games