Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Plays and Playwrights Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:35 am
Ha, just had to make a thread.

Well, our fair land has had its fair share of bloody good writers and among these are some damn classy playwrights: Oscar Wilde, J B Priestley, Alan Ayckbourn, Harold Pinter, Willy Russell...and of course, the great Shakespeare. I see no reason not to have a thread celebrating the wonder of British theatre, so let it commence!

xd  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:52 am
I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson TV adaptation of "Much Ado about Nothing"...and Keanu Reeves was surprisingly good in that too...  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Knightsedge
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:05 am
Twelfth Night was brilliantly done. In fact...I think I might go watch it on DVD now. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:34 am
Studying Much Ado About Nothing at school. Kind of zaps the fun outta Shakespeare.  

Moomba666

mr gimp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:10 am
im not really into plays so i cant comment. but school somehow makes r+j . alls well that ends well and othello all seem bollox. which is wierd cus i heard they were good  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:40 am
Quote:
but school somehow makes r+j . alls well that ends well and othello all seem bollox. which is wierd cus i heard they were good

They ARE really good. Well, all right, I've never read/seen Othello so technically I can't go on much more than bard loyalty there, and All's Well is often seen as one of his less good plays...but still. Romeo and Juliet is a classic and personally I quite liked All's Well. And pretty much every other Shakespeare play I've read/seen (barring Hamlet). I find it really sad that so many people get a negative impression of Shakespeare from school. I don't know whether this is because they refuse to accept it as good because it's uncool or whether they just hate it because it's work. A lot of people just don't understand Shakespearean language, so it's quite hard to go through a play quickly so I suppose the lengthy process must be dull for some people. But I just love it - I had much more fun doing Romeo and Juliet for GCSE coursework then Pride and Prejudice.  

Vanilla Pod

Gaulia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:47 am
I began to hate Willy Russell after nearly having to throw myself off a cliff a few years back.

Shakespeare, though... Despite my vandalised essay which I posted on the meet thread, I love him. <33
The abridged versions of any of his plays are mightily annoying, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Oh, oh, oh...

I just need to desperately SQUEE over The History Boys by Alan Bennett. It's on at the National atm and it is SO SO SO GOOD. All of you, go see it now, and send me free tickets. I have spoken.  

Vanilla Pod

wodewose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:26 pm
ok Oscar wilde was Irish, NOT british....as was George Bernard Shaw

now Dylan Thomas.....ahhh, so bleak, so hollow.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:06 pm
Vanilla Pod
Oh, oh, oh...

I just need to desperately SQUEE over The History Boys by Alan Bennett. It's on at the National atm and it is SO SO SO GOOD. All of you, go see it now, and send me free tickets. I have spoken.

I second this comment - GO SEE IT!!!!  

moaningmyrtle

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:46 am
moaningmyrtle
Vanilla Pod

Oh, oh, oh...

Do you have plans to see it again? Argh, I can't believe its run ends in April! Why couldn't it be one of those seemingly endlessly running plays? Oh, did you see it won another award? A South Bank Show Award. Hmmm. But they showed a bit of the scene between Hector and Posner and I watched it about 3 times taking notes on Posner's characteristics. Ha.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:13 am
Vanilla Pod
moaningmyrtle
Vanilla Pod

Oh, oh, oh...

Do you have plans to see it again? Argh, I can't believe its run ends in April! Why couldn't it be one of those seemingly endlessly running plays? Oh, did you see it won another award? A South Bank Show Award. Hmmm. But they showed a bit of the scene between Hector and Posner and I watched it about 3 times taking notes on Posner's characteristics. Ha.

Lol! I'm seeing it again on the 12th of April, yaaaay! I can't wait! Are you going again? (this seems a little stupid me posting this as i could just go and find you, but - where's the fun in that?!??!)  

moaningmyrtle

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:41 pm
moaningmyrtle
Vanilla Pod

moaningmyrtle

Vanilla Pod

Oh, oh, oh...

Lol! I'm seeing it again on the 12th of April, yaaaay! I can't wait! Are you going again? (this seems a little stupid me posting this as i could just go and find you, but - where's the fun in that?!??!)

Reeeeeeeeeally? So am I! Except I'm going to the matinee.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:14 am
Vanilla Pod
moaningmyrtle
Vanilla Pod

moaningmyrtle

Vanilla Pod

Oh, oh, oh...

Reeeeeeeeeally? So am I! Except I'm going to the matinee.

ditto ditto ditto!!! the matinee, we might see each other!!  

moaningmyrtle

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:35 pm
moaningmyrtle
ditto ditto ditto!!! the matinee, we might see each other!!

Cool! biggrin Mmm, I'm also going to try to go in half term, you know, get up early to get tickets. Heh, it's faintly ridiculous that I like a play this much.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff