Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Black Cats Crossing
The difference between males and females!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Countess Erzebeth Bathory
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:07 am
I don't want to single out any gender...
I just want to share this information with all of you.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you all know, the brain is divided into two hemispheres.
The left side of the brain is more analytical and controls our logic.
Left-sided people are linear. They see the details first, then the whole picture.

The right side of the brain is the more creative side.
It controls our intuition and rhythm.
Right-sided people are holistic. They see the entire picture first and then break it into parts.

There's more to it than that, but I just wanted to keep it short because I'm focusing in the difference between males and females, not the hemispheres.

blaugh

Anyway, the middle part of the brain that unites the two hemispheres is called the corpus callosum.
The corpus callosum in the females is usually larger than the males, which allows both sides of brain to communicate.
Males, in the other hand, usually have a smaller corpus callosum and tend to the left side of the brain.
This is why males are usually better at math than girls are.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This up here is the limbic system or the limbic cortex. It’s the part of the brain that controls our emotions and our long term memory.
This part of the brain larger in females, which means they are prone to more emotional ties.

I’m going to just quote this website because it’s pretty complete and to the point.

Quote:
bonding/nesting instincts - current research has demonstrated that females, on average, have a larger deep limbic system than males. This gives females several advantages and disadvantages. Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, they are generally better able to express their feelings than men. They have an increased ability to bond and be connected to others (which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. Having a larger deep limbic system leaves a female somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves) and men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.

The brain is 20% to 30% of the human body and men tend to have larger body mass then females do, therefore the male brain is bigger and has more brain cells or neurons.
But, like I mentioned before, the corpus callosum also allows women to have more neurological connections than males do.

According to the anatomist R. B. Bean, a larger corpus callosum means more intellectual activity, but this doesn’t necessarily mean women are smarter (I can’t single out any gender remember!).
Although we do make more connections (which are actually sparks of electricity that happen every time new information is sent to our brains), those connections create like a tiny stem of information recorded into our brain, if we don’t keep obtaining information on that stem specifically, it won’t get any bigger and it will eventually disappear, causing in memory loss.

I’ve probably left off a lot. I had to rewrite this over again. But I’ll keep adding.
And I’ll try to answer as many questions as possible.
crying

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:12 am
Limbic System
These are the parts of the limbic system just so you all have a better idea what it's made up of and the different functions.

Quote:
* Amygdala:[3][4][5] Involved in signaling the cortex of motivationally significant stimuli such as those related to reward and fear in addition to social functions such as mating.
* Hippocampus:[3][4][5] Required for the formation of long-term memories
o Parahippocampal gyrus:[4] Plays a role in the formation of spatial memory and is part of the hippocampus
* Cingulate gyrus:[3][4][5] Autonomic functions regulating heart rate, blood pressure and cognitive and attentional processing
* Fornix:[5][3] carries signals from the hippocampus to the mammillary bodies and septal nuclei.
* Hypothalamus:[3][5] Regulates the autonomic nervous system via hormone production and release. Affects and regulates blood pressure, heart rate, hunger, thirst, sexual arousal, and the sleep/wake cycle
* Thalamus:[3][5] The "relay station" to the cerebral cortex

In addition, these structures are sometimes also considered to be part of the limbic system:

* Mammillary body:[3] Important for the formation of memory
* Pituitary gland:[3] secretes hormones regulating homeostasis
* Dentate gyrus,[4] thought to contribute to new memories and to regulate happiness.
* Entorhinal cortex and piriform cortex:[5] Receive smell input in the olfactory system.
* Fornicate gyrus: Region encompassing the cingulate, hippocampus, and parahippocampal gyrus
* Olfactory Bulb: Olfactory sensory input
* Nucleus accumbens: Involved in reward, pleasure, and addiction
* Orbitofrontal cortex: Required for decision making

Vice Captain

Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:35 am
This probably explains why I failed Pre-Calculus 3 times, yet I was exempted from my French final because of my great grades.
scream
And why there are currently a lot more guys studying engineering than girls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:16 am
omg, now i know guys arnt just assholes, lmao, very interesting read, good job(jk not all guys are assholes lol)  

lil_qt_cat1
Captain

Phail Ninja

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 pm
Wow. Yet-I'm better than all the guys in my math class....  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:12 pm
Yea, it's a general thing.
If you study more in a certain thing, you'd make more connections in that area and those stems of information expand.

Vice Captain

Valerie_v2

Magnetic Genius

5,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 am
bam we own!

nothing left to say.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 am
Wow...I didn't realize how awesome we are!! AWESOME! ^^  

Killer Dollie

Edcy
Vice Captain

Liberal Prophet

14,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm
Anita is smart!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 am
very interesting...
i'm a guy yet i barely passed algebra and took language courses instead..
i ain't gay but i like the way women support each other and interact...i have a great sense of smell...guess when i was developing in my mother's womb my DNA tried something different when it was building my brain.  

katbert
Crew

Maeben
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 pm
dexbert
very interesting...
i'm a guy yet i barely passed algebra and took language courses instead..
i ain't gay but i like the way women support each other and interact...i have a great sense of smell...guess when i was developing in my mother's womb my DNA tried something different when it was building my brain.

LOL you crack me up!

I agree that what you have said here is basically true...but there are always exceptions to every rule.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:27 pm
wow vry detailed 3nodding  

surelychoo

7,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Nerdy_Fox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:47 pm
cool!! FEMAILS ARE SMARTER , MAILS ARE STRONGER!! i wonder who wins brains beats brounz!!  
Black Cats Crossing

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games