Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
whats the problem with Evolution and schools?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God Save The Vampires

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 pm
I saw on this stupid-news thing at school that a school in Florida, I think, is debating whether of not to teach Evolution.

Evolution is supported by facts gathered over the past billion-years (ok, not that long xd ). It's a very logical theory (which I believe, of course), but won't be taught.

The man on the news who supported it was an educated scientist who specialized in evolution and human development (I think xd I should pay more attention)

the man who supported, "intelligant design" rofl , was of course a Reverand someone-or-other. I rolled my eyes.

Creationism has NO facts to support it, it's just an idea that's been around for 2000 years, you know, before we could actually find this s**t out! He says it NEEDS to be taught in school that some big-man-in-the-sky popped out of nowhere and made humans.

doesn't this make you mad? or atleast laugh, or something? =P share your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 am
If I Go Crazy...

User Image
It's because of Religious parents mostly.
They don't want their kids learning the truth.
Mostly, they want their children to be drones.

... Then Will You Still Call Me Superman?

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

Kuakuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:00 pm
I had some lulz while reading that. Though I do find it kind of sad that humankind is not yet at the point where evolutionism is just...accepted and taught, the same way as math and reading. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:12 pm
There is some progress though: I mean, it's not like when they invented the helio-centric theory in astronomy (that the earth goes around the sun) and people got burned at the stake.  

Anti_Halifax

Kuakuu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am
True.

lol @ people thinking Earth was the middle of the universe. rofl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm
I don't mean to generalize but it seems to me that when Christians hear evolution they think that the teachers will sit down and tell them that this is how it happened and it isn't any other way when in actuallity they don't. My teacher explained to us frequently that this is just what scientists think and that creationism and science could go togethers.  

aCapitalFellow

Deranged Imagination

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:08 pm
It makes me sad
I think a person should be taught things that aren't needed, such as religion, at home.
Then at school, practical things
It's better to know both sides before you plant your foot down in one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm
I don't really think that there is much to teach about 'inteligent' design. I mean you can't really explain intelligent design past "Big man make universe go poof into existance" or "Big man drop coconut on island and create life". There is not much explanation you can do before you are required to start telling all of the creation stories. And by that time there is no possible way one can argue that it is scientifically valid. With evolution you can go way deep and still be running with the same theories. You will only start to branch out once you reach college level, and no one is arguing about teaching it there.

([Sorry about any slaughtering of words, this was written on IE ~gag~])

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

maggoty tacos

Friendly Regular

7,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm
If by the time I become a Senior [next year] they aren't teaching it at my school, myself and all of my Atheist friends will surely be protesting.
3nodding

That's such BS. Since when is religion important enough to NOT learn the cold, hard facts?
Sheesh, it's going to turn into something like Sex Ed, you get a paper sent home and if mommy doesn't want your precious eyes to see, sign on the line!

These people make me sick. stare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:47 pm
Spiffy Spazz
I don't mean to generalize but it seems to me that when Christians hear evolution they think that the teachers will sit down and tell them that this is how it happened and it isn't any other way when in actuallity they don't. My teacher explained to us frequently that this is just what scientists think and that creationism and science could go togethers.
Actually, that's the beautiful thing about science, in most cases science's explanations are THEORIES, even if they are very much true and time tested. Science is never forced down peoples' throats nowadays, in fact often times students are asked to create new theories, question what was once considered the only truth. Come to think of it, maybe that is what people are trying to protect their kids from. Open mindedness seems to be this year's new, "Hot Button."
If you need evidence for evolution, there are biodomes somewhere that subject organisms to different conditions to see how the animals evolve and adapt to their current situations.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

DJ Psych

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 pm
Creationism is a bunch of bull$#!%. Nothing just magically appears; everything has to grow. And you're right, there is more evidence supporting evolution than creationism. But what REALLY bugs the crap out of me is religious zealots are trying to get creationism taught in PUBLIC schools. They are supposed to be separate from the church. If you want to believe in some imaginary force in the sky who made the whole world in a mere 7 days, you go right ahead. Just follow those beliefs on your own time and do not enforce them in a place that is meant for everyone.  
~.The Atheist Guild.~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games