Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Strangers Guild

Back to Guilds

There are no such things as strangers, only friends we haven't met yet. 

Tags: Bookworms, Heroes, General, strangers, friends 

Reply (^-^*) Book Worms!! (^-^*)
Old Sci fi Books Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the older
the better
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
the so un cool it is
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kachanski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 pm
I have this huge collection of old (1960s 1970s) science fiction books. Now i think they are brilliant but everyone else I talk to thinks that theyre rubbish because theyre old. (not that i would rant wink )
What does anyone else think?
One other thing. Why do rather a lot of them have naked women on the front, even if there is nothing to do with it in the book. im told it was to attract teenage boys, why publishers aimed the books at. Is this right or is there another reason?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm
The oldest sci-fi I have is The War of the Worlds. No nakie women there. I'm more into ya fiction than sci-fi, but lately I have been on a kick. Right now I'm reading Speaker for the Dead (see the "Ender's Game" thread on the bookworms subforum), but that was published late 80s, early 90s, I believe. That's as old as I normally go, other than Shakespeare. Can you recommend an oldie-but-goddie for me to check out?  

Shajinia
Crew

Kachanski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 pm
I think that war of the world is by H.G. wells, who is victorian, so no naked women there smile

some good old books. hmmm. Phillip K. d**k books are usually good, stuff like blade runer (much better than the film) and some of his short stories. theres also harry harrison books, stuff like stainless steel rat series and the deathworld series (dont worry, only 3 books in each) Im not sure if the harry harrison stuff is in print still, but theyre worth looking for!
There are more but i just cant think of them at the moment xd  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Kachanski
I have this huge collection of old (1960s 1970s) science fiction books. Now i think they are brilliant but everyone else I talk to thinks that theyre rubbish because theyre old. (not that i would rant wink )
What does anyone else think?
One other thing. Why do rather a lot of them have naked women on the front, even if there is nothing to do with it in the book. im told it was to attract teenage boys, why publishers aimed the books at. Is this right or is there another reason?

Brilliant. Now I just feel like a deluded conformity of a target audience...

Anyway, I read Future Shock like 2 years ago...No naked women there, but it was definitely pretty weird. Quite frankly, you have to detail it philosophically to get into it. I thought it was pretty stupid, but my dad thinks it was amazing.

Also, my favorite old Sci-Fi book is probably Fahrenheit 451, because it isn't just a chronicle of science, but it encompasses what the whole world might become in tandem with science itself. Really cool stuff, and it actually hints at what democracies may end up doing in the future.  

DiaVayne

200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shajinia
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:47 pm
O! Does that one book.... (yeah, I know, real descriptive...)... umm, 1984, I think? The futuristic one by the same guy as Animal Farm? Yet again, another example of a book that was sooooooo much better than the movie. I barrowed from my AP Euro teacher... come to think of it, he does read a lot of old sci-fi, not just history stuff... *runs in the direction of school, yelling "Steeeeeenson!!!!!"*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 pm
I actually was going to mention 1984 (yeah, it';s the same guy, George Orwell), but it was more of a political theory rather than sci-fi in my opinion. But, then again, it does take place in the future and deals with new technology, so maybe it really does apply...But, yeah; 1984. Cool, cool stuff, but the movie can be a lot better in encompassing what it entails. There's apparently a 2009 version of it coming up, but I haven't read anything direct on it yet.-  

DiaVayne

200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shajinia
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Really, the movie, yeah not that great. I mean, I know the chick from the department of love or whatever was an important character and whatnot, but was it really necessary for her to be nude throughout the movie? I really could have gone without that. Maybe they'd do a better job if they remade it, but I probably wouldn't go see it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:03 pm
Shajinia
Really, the movie, yeah not that great. I mean, I know the chick from the department of love or whatever was an important character and whatnot, but was it really necessary for her to be nude throughout the movie? I really could have gone without that. Maybe they'd do a better job if they remade it, but I probably wouldn't go see it.

Well, you never know. film-making has become much more of an artistic business than it was in the 80s. There's a good chance a worthy director will come along and make a beneficial prospect of the movie.  

DiaVayne

200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:52 pm
i love old sci fi books although i only read Enders Game i think i read 1984.....partly..but anyways ...we have to credit some awesome movies to old books so old books rock!!! (yeah i know kind of random...u can tell i dont read much...lol)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:45 pm
I used to read old books too, but i just can't remember which ones... that was when i was little in my young years, i gotta go back and find out... xp  

timberwolf78

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:27 pm
timberwolf78
I used to read old books too, but i just can't remember which ones... that was when i was little in my young years, i gotta go back and find out... xp
i would think after 20+ years of reading u woul drememebr everything u read..lol..jk  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 pm
Melisciose22
timberwolf78
i would think after 20+ years of reading u woul drememebr everything u read..lol..jk

I thought so too.... xp seems i read too much keep getting some stories mixed up  

timberwolf78

TwincamTinman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:28 am
Kachanski
I think that war of the world is by H.G. wells, who is victorian, so no naked women there smile

some good old books. hmmm. Phillip K. d**k books are usually good, stuff like blade runer (much better than the film) and some of his short stories. theres also harry harrison books, stuff like stainless steel rat series and the deathworld series (dont worry, only 3 books in each) Im not sure if the harry harrison stuff is in print still, but theyre worth looking for!
There are more but i just cant think of them at the moment xd

Z0MG! Another Phillip K. d**k fan! I currently have about 10 different books of his in my room somewhere. I love golden age scifi (50s-60s), and I regularly go down to a good secondhand bookstrore I know to see if they've got anything new in. They usually have some Asimov and Heinlein, I rarely go home disapointed. The good thing about being into old scifi is the price, I had a really good haul a few months ago when I came back from there with 12 books by my favourite authors (Asimov, Baxter, Clarke, d**k, Heinlein, Niven) for under 20 bucks. Hooray lots of cheap good reding! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:41 am
Naked women on the front? No wonder you love these books Tinman!!! Oh no she di'int!!! Oh yes she did!!! rofl  

undacuva_druid
Vice Captain

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200

TwincamTinman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:00 am
undacuva_druid
Naked women on the front? No wonder you love these books Tinman!!! Oh no she di'int!!! Oh yes she did!!! rofl

Well, there's equal measures of robots on the covers too, at least for me. So by your logic what does that say wink  
(^-^*) Book Worms!! (^-^*)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff