Reply The Music Artists Guild
I CAN PLAY I CAN PLAY!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Satrevi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:12 pm
Hehe, now let me explain, before i did piano i did guitar, i got extremely used to keeping my fingernails short. So i start to play my piano a few days ago. I can't play for s**t, now it turns out from playing guitar i developed something really odd psychological. I cannot play piano with long fingernails even though it makes no difference because of how much i used to play guitar!

So yes that is an odd quirk that doesn't make much sense. But i figure we all know how to laugh at ourself here. What are weird things that have to be in place for you guys to make music?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:51 pm
My flute has this one screw that is stripped and it constantly comes loose. I don't trust Hanson's to set it, because if they set it wrong, I will need a brand new flute. So everytime I put my flute together, I have to adjust the screw with my fingernail every time I get it out to play. And if I'm playing for more than half hour or more, I have to adjust it again, so my flute doesn't sound like s**t. I was handed my friend's clarinet, and I knew the fingerings, but it was slightly familiar to my flute position, so I absent-mindedly checked for the screw that I was so used to adjusting, and stopped myself. I would probably still do that if you handed me a different flute or if the screw ever gets set in mine, but it's been that way for almost two years now, so I doubt I'll ever budge and let someone set the screw, because I really don't trust anybody with my instruments. So because of constantly checking the screw on my flute, I would probably do that with any other instrument that involves being held and having fingerings. sweatdrop  

Spectrum_Rhapsody

Satrevi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:06 pm
Spectrum_Rhapsody
My flute has this one screw that is stripped and it constantly comes loose. I don't trust Hanson's to set it, because if they set it wrong, I will need a brand new flute. So everytime I put my flute together, I have to adjust the screw with my fingernail every time I get it out to play. And if I'm playing for more than half hour or more, I have to adjust it again, so my flute doesn't sound like s**t. I was handed my friend's clarinet, and I knew the fingerings, but it was slightly familiar to my flute position, so I absent-mindedly checked for the screw that I was so used to adjusting, and stopped myself. I would probably still do that if you handed me a different flute or if the screw ever gets set in mine, but it's been that way for almost two years now, so I doubt I'll ever budge and let someone set the screw, because I really don't trust anybody with my instruments. So because of constantly checking the screw on my flute, I would probably do that with any other instrument that involves being held and having fingerings. sweatdrop
It's amazing the psychological power of habit  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 am
Areleklo
Hehe, now let me explain, before i did piano i did guitar, i got extremely used to keeping my fingernails short. So i start to play my piano a few days ago. I can't play for s**t, now it turns out from playing guitar i developed something really odd psychological. I cannot play piano with long fingernails even though it makes no difference because of how much i used to play guitar!

So yes that is an odd quirk that doesn't make much sense. But i figure we all know how to laugh at ourself here. What are weird things that have to be in place for you guys to make music?

You're NOT supposed to have long fingernails on piano - it causes poor hand position. You're definitely better off with short nails - IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The reason your hand position is probably better now is that guitar built up your finger strength.  

moosiklady

Satrevi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 am
moosiklady
Areleklo

You're NOT supposed to have long fingernails on piano - it causes poor hand position. You're definitely better off with short nails - IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The reason your hand position is probably better now is that guitar built up your finger strength.
that the guitar did, pinky strength in particular  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm
Well, before I played bass, I played piano for. While playing piano, I found that it was easier for me to read notes on the treble clef. When I started playing bass which is played on bass clef, reading notes on the bass clef became so much easier. The only problem was that now I haven't gotten much practice into the treble clef and I kinda suck at it now. sweatdrop
But one thing I did get from playing bass is pinky strength since you have to stretch your fingers ALOT and hold down your pinky VERY firmly to get a nice, clean sound

ShiKu13

Satrevi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:35 pm
ShiKu13
Well, before I played bass, I played piano for. While playing piano, I found that it was easier for me to read notes on the treble clef. When I started playing bass which is played on bass clef, reading notes on the bass clef became so much easier. The only problem was that now I haven't gotten much practice into the treble clef and I kinda suck at it now. sweatdrop
But one thing I did get from playing bass is pinky strength since you have to stretch your fingers ALOT and hold down your pinky VERY firmly to get a nice, clean sound
lucky, yeah bass would definitely improve pinky strength quicker  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:04 pm
What I have come to understand is that the muscle memory developed for a specific instrument can be unlearned, and switching from piano to guitar is a good example for a change that can cause it. I play a mostly piano nowadays, but i try to keep up with some practice on violin/viola, and I find it gets harder as I specialize more with the keys...  

charliehighland

moosiklady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:56 am
I think - if you have the time to keep up both - that if playing multiple instruments they'll help each other. It can be a mental hurdle to switch gears from one to the other, though.

I played piano first (which is probably the best to learn first, as you learn both clefs). Then flute - which really helped my high ledger line notes, then bassoon, which was great for reading tenor clef. Better yet, eventually I got to read tenor clef (yes, there is such a thing - it's for instruments that play a lot across the break between treble and bass clefs) on bassoon, which really solidified my note reading!

I also play guitar; guitar and piano have the most in common - because both develop finger strength and independence.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 pm
how 'bout this for a quirk. . . I'm left-handed, but I play right-handed.  

Space_Monkee

The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff