Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm
Okay so I was reading the paper.. today and NO JOKE.. this is what I found

Jaskson, Miss...
A statel lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers.. but please dont be offended.
He says he never even expected his plan to become law. " I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in mississippi," said Republican Rep. John Read, who acknowleges that at 5 foot 11 and 230 lbs, he would probably have a tough time under his own bill.
More than 30 percent of adults in Mississippi are obese, accordint to a 2007 study by the Trust for America's Health a research group that focuses on disease prevention

LIke Omg.. are they retarded... the food / restaurant industry would go broke.. about 45% of the entire american population.. maybe a larger number that that I think is obese.. did they not hurt the restaruants enough with the non smoking bans..
This is a huge Human rights violoation that this is even being brough up.. It pisses me off what do you guys t hink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am
I heard about this on the radio a few weeks ago. Some places are already doing this. I thought it was messed up and cruel. I'm not sure that it will be considered legal since obesity is a health condition and a disease. A city that makes this a law could be sued for discrimination against a disability. But then it's not any better then Los Vegas making it illegal to feed the poor because they believe feeding the poor promotes crime. Or Long Beach California out lawing homeless people living in their cars because it makes them look bad. talk2hand  

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Foghorn_Moonlight_Goddess

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am
yeah its illegal out here to sleep in your car as well.. god Im moving out of this country ... It gets worse and there are more human rights violations every day... I love this country but they make it harder to want to stay every day  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 am
It's like this country is loosing it's humanity along with our civil rights and freedom. And everyday I see a little more communistic ideals being instilled into our daily lives. Suddenly this country is becoming something all together different then what our founding fore fathers created. Are we still a land of the free? sweatdrop  

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:02 pm
no i doubt that we are? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:06 pm
Is this for real surprised

I'm sure many people who are obese find it somewhat embarrassing just to go to restaurants and order food in the first place, to refuse to serve them is just beyond cruel, forcing people to stay "caged" at home and possible eating even more.

And where would they draw the line?
"a person is considered obese when they weigh 20% or more of the maximum desirable weight for their height." but what? Would they have guards to follow this up??? talk2hand

Why not offer more healthy food instead, and up the price on junk food? It seems like people tend to go for junk food since it's usually the cheapest option.

If they want people to not get obese they should start with the kids. At least ban unhealthy food from the school cafeteria, I can't say I know what it's like (I live in Norway and most schools over here don't even have cafeterias, let alone serve junk food) but I have gotten the impression that many schools offer greasy food because it's cheap and easy to make. That's kinda like forcing potential obesity on people (kids) who don't know any better.  

m0rphia

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:08 am
m0rphia
Is this for real surprised

I'm sure many people who are obese find it somewhat embarrassing just to go to restaurants and order food in the first place, to refuse to serve them is just beyond cruel, forcing people to stay "caged" at home and possible eating even more.

And where would they draw the line?
"a person is considered obese when they weigh 20% or more of the maximum desirable weight for their height." but what? Would they have guards to follow this up??? talk2hand

Why not offer more healthy food instead, and up the price on junk food? It seems like people tend to go for junk food since it's usually the cheapest option.

If they want people to not get obese they should start with the kids. At least ban unhealthy food from the school cafeteria, I can't say I know what it's like (I live in Norway and most schools over here don't even have cafeterias, let alone serve junk food) but I have gotten the impression that many schools offer greasy food because it's cheap and easy to make. That's kinda like forcing potential obesity on people (kids) who don't know any better.
I wish more people in this country had your logic and good sense. I loved your suggestion about raising the prices on junk food while lowing the prices on healthier choices. In California we already have programs in schools to get rid of the sodas and junk food from being sold. They replaced the drinks with fruit juices and healthier snack foods even fruits. And the study showed that kids will basically buy; eat and drink whatever is being offered. They were buying the healthier choices when that was the foods being sold. But I'm not sure if all the schools are doing this now.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 pm
~ Anime Betty ~
I wish more people in this country had your logic and good sense. I loved your suggestion about raising the prices on junk food while lowing the prices on healthier choices. In California we already have programs in schools to get rid of the sodas and junk food from being sold. They replaced the drinks with fruit juices and healthier snack foods even fruits. And the study showed that kids will basically buy; eat and drink whatever is being offered. They were buying the healthier choices when that was the foods being sold. But I'm not sure if all the schools are doing this now.
Thank you, although you would think it should be so obvious.

Obesity isn't as normal here as it probably is over there, but people are starting to get fatter and more and more people get overweight. Here in Norway they raised the prices on chocolate, chips, soda, frozen pizza's and stuff like that in regular stores (although it has never been really cheap). They also lowered the sugar and fat content in many products like yogurt, sirup and fruit spread/jam/jelly. Cheese is also very expensive and meat in general. Some stores even sell fruit and vegetables without the added taxes.

Take-out, fast food and restaurant are also generally expensive and your money wouldn't last long if you were to eat that all the time.

Some time ago they stopped serving large fries and sodas with large menu's on Mc Donald's here (the largest one we have is like 0,8 liters), I don't know if it's still like that because I never eat there anyway xD

I think you're right about kids buying whatever being offered. I read about a Danish research where they studied what food people bought, and the study showed that you could "force" people to buy healthier food by regulating the prices. Even people that didn't have a lot of money (mostly students) bought healthier food.  

m0rphia

Kiskil-lilla

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 pm
They got rid of snack machines and soda machines in the schools out here, they have water machines and they sell sports drinks (which have just as much sugar as sodas, but whatever) and the baked chips and pretzels. They have also made "healthier" alternatives in the lunches, but man. I work in a school and those healthier alternatives are DISGUSTING! The sliced apples in a bag are okay, but some of the other crap is just cardboard. They have these "wheat bread grilled cheese sandwiches" that are just gross. They are basically cheese sandwiches put in plastic bags that get steamed so the cheese is hard as a rock and the bread is soggy. What ever happened to the cafeteria actually COOKING the food?

There are salads but they are only offered to the staff. I think kids would eat them if they were offered! I've been a bad girl and actually purchased salads for a few of the kids because they were so disgusted with what was being offered on their side of the cafeteria.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 am
Kiskil-lilla
They got rid of snack machines and soda machines in the schools out here, they have water machines and they sell sports drinks (which have just as much sugar as sodas, but whatever) and the baked chips and pretzels. They have also made "healthier" alternatives in the lunches, but man. I work in a school and those healthier alternatives are DISGUSTING! The sliced apples in a bag are okay, but some of the other crap is just cardboard. They have these "wheat bread grilled cheese sandwiches" that are just gross. They are basically cheese sandwiches put in plastic bags that get steamed so the cheese is hard as a rock and the bread is soggy. What ever happened to the cafeteria actually COOKING the food?

There are salads but they are only offered to the staff. I think kids would eat them if they were offered! I've been a bad girl and actually purchased salads for a few of the kids because they were so disgusted with what was being offered on their side of the cafeteria.
eww.. soggy bread and stale cheese? xp All the way up until I was in 5th grade the Cafeteria used to cook it's food. But some health concerned cropped up. The health department kept finding serious health violations with the Cafeteria's cleanliness. And so they started bringing in the pre-packaged boxed and wrapped lunches. And they simply were heated up in the Cafeteria and served like that. Up until I got into Highschool. At my highschool they did have the pre-packaged meals but they also were cooking and serving some really delicious foods. They even sold large slices fresh french bread with options of butter or margarine. They did have salads and soups and even really nice meals. But I was spoiled. Because my campus was opened I would go out to lunch with my friends to local restaurants. But the times I did stay on campus during lunch I mostly used the Ala cart line for single serving foods like Nachos or a bagel and cream cheese. That was in the days that we still had the Coke machines. But we also had a fruit juice vending machine. ^__^  

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 am
As far as I know they have not gotten rid of them out here in the schools.. they just close the area that they are at during lunch so that kids dont eat them instead of eating lunch.. which honestly is fine by me.. cause I was always starving when i got out of school and really needed something to eat before I ran off to track practice..
In my highschool.. they had an option of a reagular mean which was the basic cafetira food.. Than you had the Pizza line... There was the hamburger and fries option . which they broght over from the local blazer burger every day ..
Than they had what was called the carb line.. for the kids in sports who needed carbs.. for after school practices and stuff.. I was stuff like pasta.. chicken alfrado.. lasana.. There was a salad bar as well.. keep in mind I did not have a big school.. my graduating class was only 166. so this was a lot of options for the size of our schoool.. They also had a peanut butter jelly with and apple and something else .. or another for kids who forgot there lunch money or something like that.
I read another study and it said that low income familys produce more obesie childeren than others.. because its a well know fact.. cheeper foods are cheeper cause theyer cheeper to make.. they hold more sodium and stuff like that.. Its a vicisous cycle and as poverty in the U.S. goes up .. Obesity will continue to rocket as well. So umm.. thats what goes on up here in kansas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:12 am
~ Anime Betty ~
It's like this country is loosing it's humanity along with our civil rights and freedom. And everyday I see a little more communistic ideals being instilled into our daily lives. Suddenly this country is becoming something all together different then what our founding fore fathers created. Are we still a land of the free? sweatdrop
It´s not communistic ideals at all, read Marx and you´ll know their ideal 3nodding
Most of the laws created from that were common sense, anyways.

When a cummunism prosper, it becomes better for the poor individuals but human rights standards becomes better after that.

This was only a sidemark but I just had to sort out that one. Communism sure is bad, but kapitalism is worse.  

Komido

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:52 pm
Kapitalism.. Its spelled with a C.... Capitolism... LOL  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 pm
foghorn_moonlight_goddess
Kapitalism.. Its spelled with a C.... Capitolism... LOL