Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rap or Country?
  Rap
  Country
View Results

Opium Hooker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:59 am
Why do people hate Rap, and Hip Hop so much?

Most rap has more meaning than rock anyways. Most rockers sing about stuff that never happened.

rolleyes

Also you can't hate every single rap song, and if you claim you do than you strike me as dumb.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:02 am
I don't hate all rap... just quite a lot of it.

There are quite a few reasons I don't like it:

A. In many songs (that I've heard), there's overwhelming racism towards blacks, by making it sound like all blacks live in the ghetto, partake in drugs, and speak in an uneducated way.

B. In many songs (that I've heard), Rap idolizes gang violence, the itemization of women, and prostitution.

C. I don't think I've heard a rap song with less than 15 extreme curses in it (********, s**t, b***h, ******, and f*****t). It sounds uneducated, and the flawed grammar and pronunciation doesn't help things.

D. The corporations that have hooked onto it are milking every cent out of it's popularity. This detracts from the messages people are so keen on hearing. Not only that, but the sudden popularity amongst teens and young adults to be 'gangsta' is EXTREMELY irritating. And then MTV hooks on and we have to watch 'Cribs' filled with rich no-talents, and their subsequent rise to a*****e-rich-person-ness....

E. I really don't like the sound, and the corporate BS is so easy to do, it requires hardly any skill.

Now these reasons apply to the over-used corporate bullshit. Oldschool rap and hip-hop that actually had something to say is something that I might not like to listen to, but respect, and does take some skill to be able to do. Also, underground rap and hip-hop has some good elements to it as well.

But, for me, reggae has better sound, and I enjoy it a lot more. (Especially Bob Marley...)  

Bloody Loon

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 am
Why do people hate rap and hip-hop so much?

Mostly, it's ignorance. Most people haven't heard a lot of rap or hip-hop, and base their opinions solely on mainstream dance-music that features rap and hip-hop elements.

Ignorance isn't the only reason, though.

Some of it is racial. I know more than a few whites who claim that rap is "black music" and (for various idiotic reasons) choose not to listen because of that. Of such stupid racial reasons, "as a white person, I can't empathize with the black artists" is most common.

A growing amount of the hatred towards it is from rockism. Rockism is a loosely associated movement of thought that considers rock to be the superior form of popular music, and endorses "rock values". Rockism is pretty damn idiotic. Rockism is also largely responsible for the spread of anti-rap stereotypes.

Now, certainly, you will occassionally get people who genuinely dislike the style. I know people who have heard a LOT of hip-hop and rap, mainstream and underground alike, and they still simply dislike the sound.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm
I agree with the points made above.

I personally greatly dislike most of the mainstream rap and hip-hop that I have heard. The themes of the songs generally revolve around violence, drugs, sex (in a way which degrades women), and extreme materiealism. These songs are usally gramatically incorrect and include excessive cursing. There are a few mainstream songs which do not conform to these elements, but most mainstream rap and hip-hop does. As a feminist, pacifist, and somone who realizes that emotion should always be prized over material goods, I disagree with many of the themes expressed in mainstream rap and hip-hop.

Most people, when they think of rap and hip-hop, only think of mainstream music of these genres. However, beneath the surface, there are a lot of good artists. Since I do not listen to much rap and hip-hop, I cannot cite any exact artists. However, my art teacher often brings in hip-hop CDs which are very pleasing to the ear, and contain the same themes found in most music genres, such as devoute and egalitarian love. Also, my uncle used to play old school rap sometimes, and I recall that one of his favorite artists spoke a great deal about how people should be proud of their heritage, but still strive to go beyond what their ancestors could have ever imigined for them. I cannot cite either artist, but their music is a far cry from mainstream rap and hip-hop, and is good music.  

DreamerSpirit

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:36 pm
DreamerSpirit
I agree with the points made above.

I personally greatly dislike most of the mainstream rap and hip-hop that I have heard. The themes of the songs generally revolve around violence, drugs, sex (in a way which degrades women), and extreme materiealism. These songs are usally gramatically incorrect and include excessive cursing. There are a few mainstream songs which do not conform to these elements, but most mainstream rap and hip-hop does. As a feminist, pacifist, and somone who realizes that emotion should always be prized over material goods, I disagree with many of the themes expressed in mainstream rap and hip-hop.

Most people, when they think of rap and hip-hop, only think of mainstream music of these genres. However, beneath the surface, there are a lot of good artists. Since I do not listen to much rap and hip-hop, I cannot cite any exact artists. However, my art teacher often brings in hip-hop CDs which are very pleasing to the ear, and contain the same themes found in most music genres, such as devoute and egalitarian love. Also, my uncle used to play old school rap sometimes, and I recall that one of his favorite artists spoke a great deal about how people should be proud of their heritage, but still strive to go beyond what their ancestors could have ever imigined for them. I cannot cite either artist, but their music is a far cry from mainstream rap and hip-hop, and is good music.

I agree, just listen to someone like Talib Kweli (his earlier albums) or to some of the early rappers....such as some of Outkast's earlier stuff.

The media waters every good thing down, and rap is one of their victims.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 am
Kaishi Kyouki

A. In many songs (that I've heard), there's overwhelming racism towards blacks, by making it sound like all blacks live in the ghetto, partake in drugs, and speak in an uneducated way.

B. In many songs (that I've heard), Rap idolizes gang violence, the itemization of women, and prostitution.

For the most mainstream artists out there - Eminem, Dr Dre, Insane Clown Posse, Snoop Dog, The Game, etc - that's pretty much my complaint too.

Not that rock has had a much more preppy history, some of the biggest dicks in history have been involved with that. What kind of dipshit burns down a historical Church for scene-points or brands an inverted cross into their forehead? Someone who I wouldn't want my kids idolizing.

Now is the time to see the light of electronica. Come America, join us!  

xStephanx

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:24 am
xStephanx
Kaishi Kyouki

For the most mainstream artists out there - Eminem, Dr Dre, Insane Clown Posse, Snoop Dog, The Game, etc - that's pretty much my complaint too.

Not that rock has had a much more preppy history, some of the biggest dicks in history have been involved with that. What kind of dipshit burns down a historical Church for scene-points or brands an inverted cross into their forehead? Someone who I wouldn't want my kids idolizing.

Now is the time to see the light of electronica. Come America, join us!

I don't know I thought that was the greatest comedy moment of all time, I actually recreated it on the 06/06/06. The priest actually consecrated the little wooden church I made even despite knowing what I was going to do... he got the funny side of it. smile

Besides your saying you'd rather have your kid idiolise the person that cut his own drummers head off with an axe? smile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:16 pm
I don't hate rap. I like it better than a majority of the bubblegummy-pop-rock crud they play on the radio. I feel in comparison rappers are more real than most of the pop-rockers of today. Although I don't like how most mainstream rap degrades women and is racist.  

Laharl Part Deux

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 pm
I used to hate rap but lately I've found a couple of artists that I really like. I love Spank Rock and some of the British rappers out there but before I discovered them I thought all rap just sounded like 50 Cent and Snoop Dog.

I got to admit though, I really like Make It Rain by Fat Joe.
Even if its really misogynistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 pm
On the whole, I like hip hop. Rap, on the other hand, is s**t these days.
It used to be about having to deal with racism, etc, and now it's all about having money and bitches. Rap has sold out. It used to mean something!

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 am
spooky_sez
It used to be about having to deal with racism, etc, and now it's all about having money and bitches. Rap has sold out. It used to mean something!

You still get a lot of deep rap, just not in the mainstream.

Guys like Immortal Technique and Sun Zoo are pushing rap to new places it's never been, exploring darker and more complex social issues than ever before. Globalization, US foreign economic policy, alcoholism, culture clash, pressure of sex on teens, the death of romanticism, and legitimacy in a digital world are all explored in their lyrics.

And let's not forget the new wave of avant garde rap outfits like the guys of Anticon, who are using structures unimagined by the old school greats.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 am
i just dnt like rap nd hip hop
idk why i just never thought it was good
so.....yea  

Midnight_Fox101

Sakura Dream Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:10 pm
I jusr personaly dont like it thought some of the foreign stuff is alright wouldnt call it awesome but I find it easy to listen too because Idont kno what they are saying, I heard differnt type of language rap like French,German,Spanish (I know them) and Japanese of course...but they aren't also hard rap either they got rocky tunes to go along with it  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:15 pm
Sakura Dream Life
I jusr personaly dont like it thought some of the foreign stuff is alright wouldnt call it awesome but I find it easy to listen too because Idont kno what they are saying, I heard differnt type of language rap like French,German,Spanish (I know them) and Japanese of course...but they aren't also hard rap either they got rocky tunes to go along with it

I don't see how music can be good just because it's in a different language.  

Eskimos are so gay

Sakura Dream Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 pm
Collapsing New Igloos
Sakura Dream Life

I don't see how music can be good just because it's in a different language.

Its way different from what English Rap is made out of.Like it mostly consists around sex,drugs,money,alcohol and prostitution...Unlike foreign rap it consists around different prospects of life. Yeah, every other foreign rapper raps about the same thing but I dont presonally like rap at all just some that sounds appealing to me...get what Im saying?  
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games