Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Applying to CSSSA- questions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever been to CSSSA?
  What's that?
  Nope.
  Yes!!
View Results

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 pm
So, I've decided I really want to go to CSSSA this summer- I've bee saving up money for it. But before I do, I have some questions about it that might be answerable here.

First off, how difficult is it to get in? Because I really want to go and become a better painter, but I'm worried it might be too exclusive.

The third prompt says "Choose a piece of your artwork that you feel best demonstrates your technical skill and
understanding of your favorite medium. In this assignment, we want to see that you have
developed the skills needed to succeed in this advanced program. " What do they mean by technical skill? Does anyone know what they might like to see? Are they looking for perspective, or figure drawing, painting skills? :s I'm worried about what to make.

Do they feed you, or will I need to bring money for that?

Any other tips for the application process?

Link to my gallery; there's not much traditional media, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:55 am
By technical skill, they mean how well you use whatever you're using. Also, they want to see your understanding of things like anatomy, perspective, line, space, color, value, and all that stuff we don't want to listen to our teachers about in pre-secondary classes. Heh.

Link to your gallery. Maybe we can help identify what they were talking about based on what you already have.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:38 pm
Errol McGillivray
By technical skill, they mean how well you use whatever you're using. Also, they want to see your understanding of things like anatomy, perspective, line, space, color, value, and all that stuff we don't want to listen to our teachers about in pre-secondary classes. Heh.

Link to your gallery. Maybe we can help identify what they were talking about based on what you already have.
Okay, so I added my gallery.
Out of all those things, what do you think they would most like to see used? I guess I should rule out perspective, because I'm bloody awful with it. I was thinking maybe I should do some in-depth anatomy life drawing.. things.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm
Well, if you're going for the painting program, use paints. C: I see you use watercolors in your gallery, so try that. Personally, I say do what you do best, since how good your pieces are will probably be a biiiiiiig factor in whether or not you get accepted. So. Also, try and draw from life whenever possible; admissions seem to love that.  

Sriae

Romanticism

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:52 am
(okay, i'm not a member of the guild, but i felt i should post this asap...even before i apply to join...)

I went to CSSSA back in 2003 (geez i feel old...) for animation, and it was pretty simple, ultimately.

By technical skill, they want to see how much you know about painting/drawing/etc., so a good example of your best coloring, shading, line drawing, etc. is a great start. What helps is to get together a few of what you consider your absolute best pictures, and then ask as many people you know with some art experience which they feel would be best for your submission. (do not ask which they think is best alone, as that can be too vague and might give you mixed results.)

Also, yes, CSSSA provides meals. (last I was there, anyways...) The cafeteria of Cal Arts is more than capable of feeding you. You might want some spending money, as there are a couple field trips (if you plan to attend), and also sometimes you might need things (toiletries, clothes, etc. ...) you will have to bring money for laundry, as you have to do your own laundry at the attached laundromat. So bringing detergent, fabric softener, etc. is a good idea.

There is a Wal-Mart and a Ralphs in the shopping center nearby (across the freeway), but it would be best to already have everything you need.

CSSSA may seem daunting in price and scary because you'll be away from family and friends for a month, but it's more than worth it!

Going to all the events after your classes is great, too. The animation department (should still...) has a weekly movie/short screening, and there are dances and such as well.

It's a great environment, so I encourage you!

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to help. :3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 pm
I like your gallery, especially the more realistic pieces. Most art I see in art guilds are anime style drawings, which gets old quick. biggrin  

Lunara_moon

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff