Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
The world of imagination Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:10 am
Nice name for something so simple huh? So I just want some feedback, help anything would be good. I'll add more when I get em'.

User Image

Armour only, just the armor, please do not comment how ugly the hair looks... just rather, the shape of the hair or hair piece, doesn't match or is not as effective with the rest of the armor or something. I put the hair and eyes and stuff in there for that sole purpose!
User Image

This ones a real doozy, I can't seem to figure out how to do the legs, your looking up at her and she looking down at you, but i didn't bother putting detail on since I could even figure out the shape!!! TT^TT

User Image

User Image
Oh aa and no, you suck try again.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:47 am
It's always a good idea to go through some anatomy tutorials and try to absorb a few things~~ there are some linked in the tutorials section in the main forum.

The first one is confusing because it looks like she's laying down on something, yet you can't see what it is, and her clothing isn't contouring to the ground. The staff could also be better placed like slanted coming from her hand to lead the viewer in and not cut it off at a strange place (further confusing the laying down thing) It's very cute though :3.

Pose in second one seems pretty stiff, once again, work on anatomy a bit and maybe try some gesture drawings to get more flowy? I like the determined look in her eyes~ She doesn't seem balanced from the way her legs are placed -> both bent at that angle -> It looks like her torso is holding her legs up not the other way around~

The last one is actually my favorite because you gave the cloth in her clothing its own volume~ whereas the other two seem to be pasted on her body. You actually pulled off the angle pretty well in my opinion x)... the hands are too small tho.

Hope that's helpful ;D... if you have any specific images you want redlined or anything feel free to ask again?

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:56 pm
Ya, I knew I needed to work on the staff, how the cloth contours is way beyond me and I don't get how the staff would lay on it's side...., as for the second pic I should have specified that it was the armor as the character is not mine at all and it was a contest... sweatdrop Thanks anyways, I'll see what I can do about the hands, still, clothing, beyond me, hands..... is like the worst in history... thanks anyways....  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:54 am
You should do some serious anatomy practice before starting on stuff that you won't be able to do properly because of your lack of practice on basic stuff about the body and etc. But I still like the detail you give some of the items that they wear, even though they look wrong in perspective. It's still nice.

I suggest you should go outside and sit on a place where many people usually are at, then try to draw them over and over again (realistic, not anime/manga/whatever you can think up), in different positions/expressions. And if you don't have time for something like that, I guess you could search after some stock photos that you like, and then practice that way. But you should draw them naked. When you have got the hang of proportions you can try to dress them up. Use references for folds and stuff. It's the best way to learn than just ''guess'' how it would look like. Since you will most likely get it wrong that way.

When you know the basics for that and a little more you can go into details and stuff like that with your pictures. You should try shading stuff too, to make it more realistic. But it's not necessary. After that you can try to make your own style. It will be more interesting than what you have now since it will be your own, and not something that looks like another artists style that you tried to imitate.

And for items/other living beings you should do it in the same order, for best results(?) Or something like that.  

Sweet Murderer

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm
Oh I see, anatomy is one thing, though perspective is a whole other thing, I could sit there and draw all day (though I may fall asleep) and still probably not get the hang of either (but as a matter of fact I do do that sometimes... just not naked....). You could however tell me whats so wrong about my pictures that you must say I have no style of my own (or so you implied). That was just harsh. And isn't the funnest way to learn is by practice? I mean, I love drawing but what fun would it be if I only did what I one thing. Look, take no offense, I'm just saying that your way of learning is probably the most effective, but then all of it just go fwooosh! Right out the window, like a kindergardener....  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:50 am
I didn't really say that you have no style of your own. I mean that when you don't know simple things like porportions, then you are just imitating stuff that you have seen by other artists.

I believe you can practice in any way that you want. I'm just saying that when you try to draw shoes on a person that dosen't have a heel, ankle and toes or anything that shows that they actually have bones under their skin that holds their body, then the shoe you are drawing will turn out wrong. And then you are learning how to draw things wrong. If you get what I mean.

I guess that I could show you what I mean with a drawing, but I have to finish something first before that.  

Sweet Murderer

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:23 am
Oh ok.... though I really don't copy any kind of drawings from other people, I know I need to work on proportions, though if you mean that the head is too big or the eyes or too big or something, I just never looks right when I make the head smaller, it looks like a grape afterwards...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:22 am
azora natashi
Ya, I knew I needed to work on the staff, how the cloth contours is way beyond me and I don't get how the staff would lay on it's side...., as for the second pic I should have specified that it was the armor as the character is not mine at all and it was a contest... sweatdrop Thanks anyways, I'll see what I can do about the hands, still, clothing, beyond me, hands..... is like the worst in history... thanks anyways....

I don't mean the design of the clothing, I mean the way it sits on the body~~ they look like they were pasted on her and don't have any weight/substance of its own.

We're not trying to put down what you did or say that it was bad. Not at all, we're just pointing out things that you can work on in the future.

And as everything drawn comes from real life, it's best to practice and understand how things work in life before changing them up in drawings wink

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sweet Murderer

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:32 am
I used proportions as an example, you need to work on everything that has to do with anatomy. The skeletton, muscles, etc

And like I said, I suggest you should go outside and draw real people.

Sorry for repeating stuff  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:50 pm
k, another one up, don't tell me i got all the proportions wrong 'cuz this one i really worked hard on proportions  

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 am
Wile you did do considerable better on this one than you did the others, proportion wise, there are still a few problems I can spot right off the bat.
1) General, hips are as wide as the shoulders, unless your like me and like drawing huge hips <3
2) The hands, once again are to small. Hands should be able to cover the majority of the face when sprawled out.
3) The bottom portion of her arms seams long. The bottom and the top of the arm are roughly the same length, if you don’t see what I mean bend your arm at the elbow and look - the top part of the arm (from shoulder to elbow) is the same length as the bottom portion (from elbow to knuckles, when your first is balled)
4) There is no definition between ankle and foot
Umm… Wile I’m sure there are a few more theses are the only ones I can spot. Anatomy, as people have stressed before me, is very important to work on. I find using stock images as a reference is always a good way to go. Besides the few problems your art is still really cute and the fell of your pieces really makes it across, something that is hard to do.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:42 am
Ok, I'm not the best on anatomy but I can give you some advices...

1st I think you should practice drawing hands, because in the drawings they look like sticks or something like that, so try watching how do the bones work with the muscles in the hand, and how is the volume of them (I don't know if I explained well myself).

2nd try to make the legs and the arms thicker because they dont look very well... anatomy... sweatdrop

3rd the cat is too small... and strange... maybe you can get a reference from other pages and stocks...

4th Try thinking with a little perspective... thats why the third drawing did not come out as you wanted...

But altought you have some mistakes, you can easily fix them, because its not very hard to learn about the human body... and you have very good ideas in your drawings... I like them tough.

Fine, I think it's all what I got to say... because I'm just learning how can I critique without looking like a mad teacher xDD

Keep practicing  

Johanna_Kyouyama

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 am
Okay The hips no matter what person, will never match the shoulders, I look in the mirror, no such thing, I look at my friends, none of them are like that, so from personal experience, there are no such thing as shoulders = hips. The arms I feel are long too, but then again, they are the same length, but if I make the hands bigger than they are now it looks like their too big, which mean I'll have to enlarge everything else, which is my problem.

OKay, so your criticizing the 1 or 3rd one right? 3 one was too hard, I even took reference pics, but they didn't quite turn out, 1 one..... I was dumb with that one it really sucked.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:12 pm
I understand that yes, some people do have smaller hips than others, but every proportion tutorial I have ever read, including those in books and on the net, says that the hips ARE as big as the shoulders. I would also like to point out the fact that you are drawing anime and, in the anime style, women almost always have big busts, tiny waists and large hips. I'm not sure if we are measuring from different parts of the shoulder but, when I look in the mirror and drop a line from my shoulder down, my hips hit that same line. As far as your arm length goes, I have the same problem, I always make my arms way to long, I would suggest next using a series of circles, lines and boxers before you go in and being filling out the body. It really helps. If you looking for some good tutorials or references try www.bakaneko.com or www.posemaniacs.com  

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:34 pm
For starters, stop arguing with people trying to help you. The ONLY thing you should be firing back are questions to help clarify things you didn't understand. I cannot stress this enough. This is NOT picture post.

I'm going to start by discussion consistent issues you have throughout, why I think you're having them and what I feel you can do to overcome them.

The single most important thing I can tell people doing anime is to not have anime pictures in view when they work. Yes, study something that inspires you. Then put it away. Use only real people/animals/props for reference. The third picture from the top looks like an eyeball of Hinata from Naruto. I'm not going to get into how people can tell. Just know that it's easy to tell. (By the way, don't try to convince me that you didn't. If you did, I'm warning you to please review the rules of the guild.)

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=7972255

We have a nice list of things to help you learn about proportion, anatomy, and such for drawing people. Please read them.

Your drawings lack good proportion, the anatomy is pretty structureless and seems random, and the images are very flat and stickish.

Anatomy/Proportion:
Check the stuff in the tutorials thread on proportion. It does help. Of course, use real people as well and study them. You'll figure things out. Some things you want to always remember, the hand with fingers spread covers the face (so from wrist top to middle finger tip is about the length of the face and the feet are as long as your wrist to your elbow. (The inside of that part of your arm. Test it out. Feet are much longer than people think they are.

User Image
User Image
User Image

See how the body is broken into simple 3d shapes? Lay out the bodies so you get some mass to them, and you can show how they're pointing. You'll find the drawing gets easier to do and they look better.

Keep at it and make sure to observe real people and things.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff