Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maple Story

Back to Guilds

First Gaia-MS Guild. Come join the Gaian MapleStory community! 

Tags: maplestory, maple, story, nexon, wizet 

Reply Maple Story
One handed weapons vs. two handed weapons

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Kings Royal Baker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 pm
Hello everyone! A situation I've found myself in many times has been weather to use a one handed weapon or two handed weapon, I'm a Fighter btw so I get to choose between axes and swords.

I like one handed weapons more. Sure, they're weaker. But they're also faster and give you a free hand for a shield, which gives a huge defense boost and has saved my a** in multiple situations.

I used to use pole arms and two handed swords, the only pros I can think of for them is they're stronger and give you distance.

But, it all boils down to your preferance. What do you guys like more?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:40 pm
ragnorok17
Hello everyone! A situation I've found myself in many times has been weather to use a one handed weapon or two handed weapon, I'm a Fighter btw so I get to choose between axes and swords.

I like one handed weapons more. Sure, they're weaker. But they're also faster and give you a free hand for a shield, which gives a huge defense boost and has saved my a** in multiple situations.

I used to use pole arms and two handed swords, the only pros I can think of for them is they're stronger and give you distance.

To me, and according to your name, it sounds as if you're basing that on Ragnarok Online.

As far as I'm sure anyone is concerned, shields in MapleStory make the tiniest difference, as you can't actually do anything with them.

Also, the ASPD in RO greatly changes when using a 1H sword opposed to a 2H sword, yet in MapleStory, I'm sure the difference is slight also.

>_>

Are you sure you've even tried 2h sword to 1h sword in Maple?  

A Rusty Nail

__penguin__
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 pm
^I'm glad you quoted the first post. If you hadn't, I probably wouldn't have been sure who you were talking to.

Anyway, I like 1 handed weapons better because not only do they let you use a shield, they're a lot faster, too. You can land two hits with a 1 handed sword in the time it takes you to hit once with a spear. Hey, it's the same logic behind why everyone uses magic claw instead of energy bolt! I just noticed. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:31 am
A Rusty Nail
ragnorok17

To me, and according to your name, it sounds as if you're basing that on Ragnarok Online.

As far as I'm sure anyone is concerned, shields in MapleStory make the tiniest difference, as you can't actually do anything with them.

Also, the ASPD in RO greatly changes when using a 1H sword opposed to a 2H sword, yet in MapleStory, I'm sure the difference is slight also.

>_>

Contrary to my name, I have never played Ragnarok online. I named myself that for a different reason, because I liked the sword technique ragnarok in Golden Sun (Kick a** game by the way).

Anyway, for me at least, the shield makes a great difference. I'm only lvl 33, and my shield has 30 DEF. I used to die a lot fighting the weakest monsters, but now that I have my shield I've been able to fight longer.

And, I have used the two handed sword in Maple. I used to use Pole Arms (Before I was a fighter) and two handed swords. I was using a Scimitar before I traded it in for a Gladius and a red cross shield.  

The Kings Royal Baker

Chronos Interferon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 pm
ragnorok17
A Rusty Nail
ragnorok17

>_>

Contrary to my name, I have never played Ragnarok online. I named myself that for a different reason, because I liked the sword technique ragnarok in Golden Sun (Kick a** game by the way).

Anyway, for me at least, the shield makes a great difference. I'm only lvl 33, and my shield has 30 DEF. I used to die a lot fighting the weakest monsters, but now that I have my shield I've been able to fight longer.

And, I have used the two handed sword in Maple. I used to use Pole Arms (Before I was a fighter) and two handed swords. I was using a Scimitar before I traded it in for a Gladius and a red cross shield.

First off, Golden Sun kicks a**

Second, Both of you have a good point.

Though Shields do make a slight defense (to some >_>), and 2h weapons are more deadly, Shield can be lifesavers at times.

Personally, I do both >_>

It really all a matter of preference. Which do you like better?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 pm
Well, I suppose, me being a Bandit, and Wristguards having little Wep Def...I see no difference when fighting.

And with Meso Guard, who needs a Wristguard?

I'll be honest, I've never used a shield as a warrior.

How can you die as a warrior, even to weak monsters?

You have a ton more HP then the other classes. o_o

But then again, my preference is 2h over 1h.

I'm just not a big fan of shields. o_o

Try using a shield in real life.

Yes, its convenient, and will save your a** alot more then in a video game, but you already have the weight of a sword in one hand, you want the weight of a shield on your other arm? o_o

Well, I don't feel like going on a tangent. >_>  

A Rusty Nail

Serverus Snope

Anxious Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 am
(Since I'm a Spearman, I have to stack up on potions to battle for long periods of time.)

But as for this, I like how 1-hand weapons are less expensive than two-handers, but if cost is the case, I'd pretty much use anything but a 2H sword. Those are hella expensive. I kinda prefer 2H weapons because they often look cooler.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 pm
Scrolled shields for attack are ********' win.  

Tazmo

Ninja no Ryukage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 pm
ONE HANDED FTW PEEPS!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:48 pm
I personally feel that 2H weapons are better because they offer a longer attacking range and more W.ATK.

However, if you can fund for it, shields can be a powerful tool. Because you have another equip on you, that means you have the chance of 7 more slots for scrolls, which could boost your attack power. This comes out to a potential of +21 W.ATK and +14 STR assuming that all of the scrolls work.

Just keep in mind that W.DEF in this game causes little difference to damage.

Summary: Shields are good if you have a lot of money and luck.

Monotone Requiem

Hilarious Humorist

A Rusty Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 am
__penguin__
^I'm glad you quoted the first post. If you hadn't, I probably wouldn't have been sure who you were talking to.

Who else would I have been talking to?

His and my posts are the very first two...

Thus, I could only be talking to him, whether I quoted his post or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:18 pm
I prefer two handed because its stronger  

yanglui8

Maple Story

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas