Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
I just want an asian crew

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hyped up TeaCup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:47 am
Next year I'm going off to college. And I'm (still) in the process of finding suitable places to apply to. I've noticed that, before anything else, I look for the percentage of different races that attend the college and I've been upset because I don't see a lot of colleges with an even amount of people in each category. Usually, there would be 60%+ white/caucasians, very few Hispanics and those with black decent and even fewer asians.. usually around 10% or less.

I know it's not right to judge a place by the color of the people attending. Nor is it right to assume that I won't enjoy the college because I won't like the people around me, who will mainly be white. I'm not racist at all. I just want an asian crew. =/

Discuss:
- your asian crew or lack of one
- would diversity and/or percentage of asians, specifically, be a big factor in deciding whether or not to join a college/club etc?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 am
i can simpathize with you on this, i'm going back to college in the fall of 08, and i want to hang around with the asain kids, but...there are none at the school i'm going to go to. if i could have asains at this school, i would. but there isn't. there are alot of them at another college but that one is higher expectations and what not, and i can't see myself there.

although i have a couple friends who might be going there, so i might be able to squander my time away just visiting them instead every weekend.  

Shugoshin Tenshin

Animaznboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:45 am
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

I wish I could be love,
Then I could be
All over the world.

Bao better not come to this topic ninja
Appearance makes the biggest impression on people. Sometimes it could screw you in someone else's eyes for the rest of your life and their's. We humans use Appearance as an identifier. Under classification, we can make certain prejudgements about people. Nobody on earth does not do this at least once in their life.

I don't really have an Asian crew. Just a whole bunch of Asian friends. And a whole bunch of non-Asian friends. And two half Asian Friends rolleyes I sort of hang out more often with my non-Asian friends more, but not time-wise, only frequency-wise. I hang out for longer amounts of times with my Asian friends, but don't see them so often. It kind of balances it out.

Diversity does play a big factor. You actually can use it to your advantage in getting into college. If you're a minority, and there's not a huge percentage of that minority, you could say you'd 'Add to the diversity' of the college. Also First Generation Asians get an edge here too. Use your diversity as a tool. Exploitation!
I'll remember to love,
You taught me how.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm
Actually that factored into my choice of university also for a few reasons...

1) I actually am more comfortable not feeling like the only asian walking around.
2) When a uni has a lot of asians around, there's a high chance of an asian pocket/community with:
a. good asian food
b. good asian entertainment (if I can find it sweatdrop )
c. people I can play chinese chess with

Anyone looking for high concentration of asians in college, try southern California universities. Most have over 30% and a few have 40-60% asian. Seriously. You can get great food around here... 3nodding

Shining Silhouette

Kempana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm
next time I suggest not looking at precentages but look at the actual number. The reason being the precentage looks low but the numbers aren;t really low. For example 5% of all muslims hate Americans(read the CNN report) and the liberals say thats not a lot. Well lets take into account Islam is the second largest religion to Christianity. There 1.3 billion muslims which makes out of 5% 65 million muslims hate Americans. So don't always look at precentages actually get how many asians are attending the school. The example i used is not racist or anything but its on many reports.

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games