Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply Off Topic Discussion
Can you stand it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Any problem?
  No. You're weird.
  Yes, I agree.
View Results

Drakie Cakie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 pm

There are just some fics that I can't bring myself to read because the grammar/canon is so horrible/wrong!

On archives where they have no standards for posting, some of the fics on there are just so grammatically incorrect that I can't read through it.

-One, because it confuses me, depending on the state of it, like when the words are in the wrong order and the meaning is lost.
-Two, because when every other word is spelled wrong, and it's full of run-on sentences, it's just hard to read. Hard on the eyes.

Or fics where canon is taken completely out the picture. [Things like Apparating on the Hogwarts grounds.]

Does anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:52 pm
YES!! I HATE bad grammar. Whenever my friends spell something wrong, I ALWAYS correct it. And when they mix everything up like that [[apparating on Hogwarts grounds? I mean seriously, come on.]] it bugs the crap outta me and I just feel the need to find the author and tutor him/her in literature. So my answer would have to be, yes. Bad grammar needs to die.  

Sir Shane Nickolas

ChellitaRiho

Dapper Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 pm
For me, bad grammar is the ultimate death to a story. I choose which stories to read depending on the first chapter. You could have great plots, great one-liners, hot action, and all that jazz, but if I have to reread every sentence several times over due to errors that could've been fixed by Microsoft Word, I'm done. It actually makes me wonder: how can one be a "serious writer" and produce pieces that don't follow grammar/syntax/spelling rules?

As for sticking to canon-I've given up on it. People are going to take artistic license and twist things to their purposes anyway, so why nitpick? Isn't that the beauty of fanfiction-create new things and maybe drop what you didn't like?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am
Ugh, I know what you mean.
I really hate when they forget that everytime someone new speaks they're supposed to start a new paragraph. It gets too confusing, especially when they forget to make it clear who is speaking.
As soon as I see that s**t I exit the fic.

External Penetration
Crew

Greedy Codger

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:34 pm
No matter how interested I am in a story, if the entire chapter is one paragraph, OR there are misspellings every other word, OR the grammar starts to make my head hurt, then I won't read it.

And I consider it a loss sometimes that I can't deal with it, because it sounds and looks good (plot-wise) but I just cannot get through it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:49 pm
When I'm texting or chatting, I'm the first to say that my grammar sucks butt, but a fic with bad grammar just irks me! I'll go all OCD, even if it's just one mistake! I know no one is perfect, I'm living proof of that, but fics are special to me. It's like, if you're going to write a fic/story, write it correctly or not at all!

Another thing that gets me is when a character is so OOC that it's really not funny anymore. I know it's hard to to make a character you didn't create act like him/herself, but sometimes it seems like they don't even try.

I'm not hating on anyone, because at least they have the guts to post their work, but don't they even read over what they write?!  

Kirby_Komatose

LittleCazzy

4,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 pm
Hell no, I'd be a hypocrite if I did, my gramma is abominable (LOL I spelt that right first time) and my brain sorta auto corrects things as I read. GOD I'm the weird one crying OH WELL xd I do have problems with not starting a new paragraph for a new speaker though

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:22 pm
If someone makes a mistake every once in a while, I'll just roll my eyes and continue to read, but if it's a fic like Drakie described there's no way I'll even bother. Harry Potter has a very large fandom- I guarantee anyone could find someone to beta their stories for them and make it so people's eyes didn't bleed at the bad grammar and/or blatant lack of canon without giving a reason for it.  

Nicky Cade

PervyKirby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm
OMG, yes!!! stressed

Sometimes I don't know if the person is joking when they post something that horrible or if they seriously think it's good.

I mean, I don't consider myself good at writing and I've never written a fanfic, but cripes!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 am
I know what you mean, its getting harder and harder to find decent fanfiction. I think the last really good fanfic I read was a HP/YGO crossover that was really good in fact.  

Digital Fiend

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

Born Backwards

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 am
Ugh I'm exactly the same.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 pm
It's all about readability. There are plenty of little grammar rules and spelling tweaks that I read right over and it doesn't bother me at all.

But if it's so bad that I start to notice it a lot, it just breaks it for me.  

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Off Topic Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items