~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:31 pm
Hug the Betty! :: Introduction :: Hug the Betty!

One of the biggest crimes that Gaians face online today is the threat of one day being hacked. Or having been hacked and never really getting passed it. For those who feel as strongly about it as I do, it can be heartbreaking and leave you feeling insecure, angry, and raped. It's a serious emotional rampage and even thou your things on Gaia are merely pixels and digits, it still hurts to have those items stolen. And it's all the worst with Gaia's stand on not guaranteeing the recovery of your stolen items. I would most likely quit Gaia feeling hurt and unable to really get over the haunting and terrible feeling. sweatdrop

I know that at that moment I will very much need my friends more then ever. To help prevent that horrible nightmare from occuring I want to do as much as possible to prevent it. I don't ever want any more of my friends to see a day like that either. I want to help others who need that support right now also. This thread will be a source of information, instruction and support. A place to help and to encourage good awareness for all our friends and fellow members. If you would like to help in this thread, to give out good instruction and information you are welcomed to. Victims do need friends willing to listen and help as much as possible. Please, let's be there for each other if those times come? biggrin

:: Contents by Post ::

1. Introduction
2. Important Information Links
3. Advise regarding safety
4. Emergency Links and Contact Info
5. Victim Support Groups

(Plushie of Betty created by iluv2paclgo)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:36 pm
Hug the Betty! Important Information Links Hug the Betty!

** Good Security Practices **
(aka How not to get haxx0red)

Very good advise and instruction here!

Time is of the Essence: Help Against Hackers!!
Good to know what to do when or if you are being hacked.. @__@;;

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT - Updated 08/17/05

Announcement: Gaia Hacker Emails - NEVER SEND YOUR PASSWORD TO US / ANYONE -L0cke

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:09 pm
User Image :: Advise regarding safety :: User Image

First thing everyone should have is a good Firewall. The more advanced form of hacker are those able to access your computer system directly to locate passwords and other vital information stored on your hard drive. Be sure to always update your firewall and Adware/Spyware blocker all the time. (It''s recommended that you use automatic update)

You can test your ports for free at
Broadband Reports.com. Get instant security analysis now. You dont even need to know your own IP address!Note: Interesting scan results, with your IP address removed, may be shown publicly to the left of the scan applet. This is not a security risk. If this disturbs you, please do not get scanned.

Secondly if your Operating System (OS) is anything Microsoft Windows, please check for critical updates your system may need to combat new hacker threats online. You can do that at;
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

(Have heard great reviews about "Firefox".. ninja )

Another way some hackers are getting into a person''s computer is by using whats called a keylogger program. These can sometimes be blocked using a good anti-spam, anti-spyware, anti-adware program. There are many good ones available for free online now. Yahoo and AOL are now offering Anti-Spyware with their browsers and search bars.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 (Free)

Another thing that I would very much recommend is
changing your password often . Atleast once a month, and be sure to write this new password down somewhere that won''t get thrown away or be found by anyone. But just incase you forget the password you can easily recall it without going to Gaia for help. Their security questionaire doesn''t work and is messed up right now. sweatdrop

A strong password has the following characteristics:

At least eight characters
At least one capital letter
At least one lowercase letter
At least one numeral (0 through 9)
At least one symbol (for example, * ^ & $ %)

Although you can create a profile password with fewer characters, a longer password is more secure.

Just incase your primary Gaian Account is ever hacked into, keep the more expensive belongings (including excess gold supplies and old donation letters and items) stored on a
"Secret Mule Account" if you're not using them. Do not speak of this "secret mule account" with anyone. Not even friends or family irl. Also change your password on your secret account as often as your primary account using the same safety tips above. Try not to draw attention to your mule account ever. Do not use it to chat with or do any regular activities on Gaia as you would with your Primary account(s). You may dress it but make your mule unpleasing to the eye so Hackers will think it would be a waste of time to hack into. Remember to keep a low profile on that account always. (This is your safe house)

Also don't share your password with a boyfriend or a girlfriend. You never know when things could go wrong. confused Some people think it's romantic but really when your partner insists on knowing your password, they are not being romantic they are being mistrusting of you. And they are breaking Gaia's TOS and invading your personal space and privacy. Everyone has a right to their own account. And if your partner doesn't trust you, your relationship is already in trouble. neutral

Admin

Recently, security concerns have come about due to Gaians using the same usernames and passwords on multiple sites.

Everyone knows it's much easier to use the same password for every site you visit. Who wants to remember dozens of different passwords? Unfortunately, using the same password everywhere is very dangerous: if somebody finds out one of your passwords, they know them all!

No matter how good we make Gaia's security, your account can only be as safe as you make it. If you take the following steps, you should have nothing to worry about:

* Use a different password for Gaia than you use for other sites. If another site gets hacked and you use the same password there as on Gaia, your account might be compromised.

* If you've used your Gaia password to register for other sites, change your password right away!

* Use a complicated password with letters, numbers, and capitals. Don't use any variation of your username, or even a real word. Make it long, make it complicated, and make it impossible to guess (and here's the hard part: try not to forget it!).

* Never tell anyone your password, ever! If someone PMs you claiming to be a moderator and asking for your password, they're a scammer. Gaia mods and admins will never ask for your password for any reason.

Thanks, and goodnight!

XOXOXO,
Admin

heart heart heart heart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:21 am
Hug the Betty! :: Emergency Links and Contact Info :: Hug the Betty!

[Report A Hacking]
Very Important you use this if you are hacked! Use an email address that is working and that you have access to currently.

[Report A Scamming]
If someone gains access to your account through a scam use this..

The most important thing to do in the first minutes of being hacked, is find a Omni Moderator on Gaia who can lock your "hacked" account as fast as possible. Here are locations you might want to check for a Omni Moderator with the power to not only lock your account but also catch the thief in the act of stealing from you. Omni Mods are in Green.

Forum Moderators for: Questions & Assistance

Forum Moderators for: Site Feedback

Forum Moderators for: General Discussion

Forum Moderators for: Welcome to GAIA

Forum Moderators for: Extended Discussion

Forum Moderators for: Chatterbox

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:18 am
User Image :: Victim Support Groups :: User Image

If you would like to help form a support Group for those who are hacked please get back to me? I can list support groups here. 3nodding

Betty's Anti-Hacker Task Force

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:03 am
Update! Is you have the time please check out?  

~ Anime Betty ~
Captain

Dapper Vampire

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Johny_lovin_it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm
You know I got your back, Betty. *hugs* I'm sorry of the terrible day you had to deal with. You work real hard to keep a positive thread no one deserves any misfortune brought down upon them. If anything I can try to keep a sharp eye out for anyone suspicious men or girl causing any wrong doing, they'll get the boot! Anywho, you know you got my support always.  
Adults 18 and Older : Exclusive!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games