Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Strangers Guild

Back to Guilds

There are no such things as strangers, only friends we haven't met yet. 

Tags: Bookworms, Heroes, General, strangers, friends 

Reply (^-^*) Book Worms!! (^-^*)
The Taming of the Shrew Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about "The Taming"?
Amazing! I loved it!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Opressionist! Long live the wild Shrew!!!
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Huh? Is that a "how to" manual?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Shajinia
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 pm
I'm just putting this one up here because we had to read it in AP Language and Composition. I really, really, disliked it. Not because of the writting (I <3 Shakespeare), but because of the content! How could a free-spirit like Kate be so easily broken? How could she submitt so easily? Grrr... It's domestic abuse, I tell you! Tame, my arse! Grrrr... Post if you hate it just as much as me!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:31 am
Shajinia
I'm just putting this one up here because we had to read it in AP Language and Composition. I really, really, disliked it. Not because of the writting (I <3 Shakespeare), but because of the content! How could a free-spirit like Kate be so easily broken? How could she submitt so easily? Grrr... It's domestic abuse, I tell you! Tame, my arse! Grrrr... Post if you hate it just as much as me!

this sounds like one of those female friends u have that is soo lovable but so over pwered by some idiotic macho cheese head...and u just want to slap her!!!! know some sense into her  

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Shajinia
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:15 pm
It's kinda like this:
Kate is very stubborn and strong-willed at the beginning of the book (Aki claims that she was biotchy, but whatever, she was just asserting her own independence). But, after she was forced into a marriage, her husband (through means of trickery and deciet) forbad her from food and sleep, tearing up her best clothes, leaving her to walk in the mud, until she is less combative and arguementative, to the point where it's 2 at night, and he says it's 7 in the morning, and she agrees with him. At the end, he makes a bet with the other husbands that his wife will be the most obedient and come to him right away when he "demands her to come at once" Well, she does, and he makes nearly twice what her dowery was (which is why he married her. for her money. oi.)
Your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 pm
Yeah, it was terrible... But I'm not a fan of ANYTHING Shakespeare... I just can't stand his storylines OR language lol!

Also, I quite enjoyed 10 Things I Hate About You which was based upon The Taming...  

undacuva_druid
Vice Captain

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200

Shajinia
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:40 pm
Yeah, 10 things was good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 pm
I have yet to read The Taming of the Shrew..although I have read many stories by Shakespeare. I find all his stories, be they comedy or tragedy, hilariously amusing. I tend to read them without taking the moral to close to heart...I read them for the death scenes (tragedies) and the comic relief from the minor characters that always pop up in the comedies. But I can say that 10 Things I Hate About You was hilarious, because I have actually seen it lol. [It's rare for me to have seen a movie that everyone else has seen...lol]  

DredfulDawn

Invisible Consumer

timberwolf78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:48 pm
I don't think i can get into this book not my kind of writing interests....but i will check it out...maybe the first chapter...lol  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:21 pm
i might read it too...sound like something ive heard before....or have witness...but its a woman marrying a horrible guy for his money.  

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

timberwolf78

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:16 pm
I might check it out and get all emotional....lol  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:11 pm
timberwolf78
I might check it out and get all emotional....lol

there there....dont cry emo  

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Hatshepsut Capybara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 pm
I used to hate Shakespeare with a passion having read only Romeo and Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew. I've heard some arguments for how he only did such horrible things to Kate because he loved her or something, but it doesn't make sense to me. Then again, back in the days when women were a commodity to be purchased, I'm sure it was a great play. And Romeo and Juliet just ticks me off. Okay, yes, it's theatre, and there has to be some willing suspension of disbeleif, but come on! The boy is madly in love with her cousin, and pining, swearing he'll die with out her, then one look at Juliet and he asks if he's ever loved before! The kid clearly can't tell hormones from true love. They should have waited a while to make sure they really did have feeling for each other beyond physical attraction, instead of getting hitched after meeting all of twice. And then, after Romeo gets himself banished, I swear if Juliet's dad had waited another week or two before trying to marry her off, Romeo would have fallen madly in love with someone else and left Juliet, who would have come to her senses and married the hot rich guy who actually knew her and was in love with her. Wow, sorry, babbling on a tangent there..... A lot of Shakespeare's other works are good though. Read Twelfth Night or Midsummer Night's Dream and you kind of forgive him.
And 10 Things I Hate About You is the most amazing movie ever! I love that movie! It's so much better then Taming of the Shrew!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Hatshepsut Capybara
I used to hate Shakespeare with a passion having read only Romeo and Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew. I've heard some arguments for how he only did such horrible things to Kate because he loved her or something, but it doesn't make sense to me. Then again, back in the days when women were a commodity to be purchased, I'm sure it was a great play. And Romeo and Juliet just ticks me off. Okay, yes, it's theatre, and there has to be some willing suspension of disbeleif, but come on! The boy is madly in love with her cousin, and pining, swearing he'll die with out her, then one look at Juliet and he asks if he's ever loved before! The kid clearly can't tell hormones from true love. They should have waited a while to make sure they really did have feeling for each other beyond physical attraction, instead of getting hitched after meeting all of twice. And then, after Romeo gets himself banished, I swear if Juliet's dad had waited another week or two before trying to marry her off, Romeo would have fallen madly in love with someone else and left Juliet, who would have come to her senses and married the hot rich guy who actually knew her and was in love with her. Wow, sorry, babbling on a tangent there..... A lot of Shakespeare's other works are good though. Read Twelfth Night or Midsummer Night's Dream and you kind of forgive him.
And 10 Things I Hate About You is the most amazing movie ever! I love that movie! It's so much better then Taming of the Shrew!

hattie i have to agree with u u r sooo right!!! I tougt Romeo was a fickle little dweeb...lol....but i do love a midsummer nights dream  

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Hatshepsut Capybara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:37 pm
My school performed Midsummer this spring and it was awesome! We set it in India, which was kind of weird, but the fairies had really cool hair and costume. And our Hermia had way too much fun getting in a fight on stage for being called short. She also got to slap Demetrius, and was a little too excited about that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:18 pm
Hatshepsut Capybara
My school performed Midsummer this spring and it was awesome! We set it in India, which was kind of weird, but the fairies had really cool hair and costume. And our Hermia had way too much fun getting in a fight on stage for being called short. She also got to slap Demetrius, and was a little too excited about that.

yeah that play is so fun to do  

Melisciose22
Captain

3,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

daniG0rawr
Crew

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm
just a random question..but.............WATS A SHREW????? rolleyes neutral neutral mrgreen  
(^-^*) Book Worms!! (^-^*)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff