Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Poetic_Skater's Sketch book

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 pm
Yea here will be what I am lately working on or Finished works so yea comments and critiques are welcome as long as they are Constructive Critisizm

here are some past works that I have done

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

And Finally a WIP
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:38 pm
You might want to consider trying something other than profiles because doing so many images one way can be limiting (I do the same thing with 3/4 views). Very nice details, but I'm curious how heavily these are referenced because the image of Sora looks very familiar to me.

The shadows on the WIP near the eyebrows look strange, almost like he has a scar, but maybe it will look better after you finish. I like the emotion, although ambiguous, on the face because it makes me wonder what he's (?) thinking.  

Griffonage

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:15 am
Sorry about all the profiles. thats all old work, very old work and I do alot better stuff now.

and the Last one is a Girl. I just havent finished it. Sora was drawn from the reference of him on the back of the KH Booklet. I did it for a friend because he was Obsessed with it at the time.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:22 pm
bump  

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Ishrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:54 pm
You have a tendency to draw their eyes just a little too low on the head... they should be at the very top of the bridge of the nose, not halfway down. They also seem to be at a strange angle in relationship to the angle of the head... in almost all of them, the eye was tilted downward a bit too much.

Also, I think your overall quality would improve if you stopped drawing on envelopes. It looks pretty cheesy when the face is cut off by the address box. sweatdrop

Other than that, good stuff. I would like to see more full-body work from you.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 pm
Actually I did some recently for a Commision but it was Rejected after a while because I didnt and couldnt find a way to draw 3 Full body couples with Armor on 2 of them.

Here are the rough sketches but as I said it was decommisioned after I couldnt complete what they wanted so yea.

User Image
User Image
User Image  

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 pm
In the top one, with the person facing away, his left arm connects strangely with his arm. The torso should really be twice as long as it is because it's too short for his head size. The left line should be pushed further toward the left, so that the torso looks thicker and more solid, especially since he's a man(it is a man right?). The shoulders themselves are also confusing when compared to the body. The position of the back makes it look like he's facing almost completely away but the shoulders look like they are facing the audience, because of the foreshortening of the right shoulder. The folds of the sleeves seem too chunky, fabric folds, even for thick fabric, are slightly more crisp than that. The sleeve itself is also not as bendable as fabric should be.

In the second picture, I love the hatched shading, and the profile isn't bad at all. Her head just looks squished. In the back of the person's skull is round and protrudes, for brain room. The other thing is her breast. It could be a lot worse, but keep in mind the shape. They slope down more on top, and hers has the ever so slight beachball effect. Other than that, great job.

The Jiang Wei picture. Once again, love the hatching. The only things are the mouth goes a left of the center, and eyes do not connect to the face the way the left one does. That one thing makes the eyes look like they are just lines on a face and as we all know, eyes are balls that stick out of the head.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:12 am
I think the ears are shaped kind of funny for both of those pictures. They're a little too pointy, like an elf's. The bottoms of the ears are a little too long. I don't know what they are called, but it's the part you would normally get pierced. Try looking at your own ear 3nodding  

Breezies

6,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items