Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
Super Noob question!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What two coins make thirty cents? I'll give you a hint: one of them is not a nickel
  I don't know
  two 15 cent coins!
  A quarter AND a nickel!
  Poll whore.
View Results

Dr Havit

Tasty Member

16,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:17 pm
What genre would you consider Malice Mizer and Nightwish type bands? I'm not too big into media and my knowledge of bands is horribly narrow. So, It's just curiosity. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:24 am
Malice Mizer jump around a lot. Generally, people will refer to them as "visual kei". The term isn't really a genre, but a trend in popular Japanese music. Genre wise, as said, they've jump around. Their early work is comparable to hair-metal and symphonic metal. As Gackt took on the role of lead singer, they moved into pop, glam, synth-pop, and pop-rock. After Gackt left and Klaha took over, they moved back towards symphonic metal, with black metal inclinations and some limited darkwave/etheral influence.

Nightwish I generally don't like pegging down, simply because I'm always wrong. I always forget what they are. On a whim, I'd say the following- They're popularly referred to as symphonic metal, and sometimes as gothic metal, but neither would be as precise as something like "symphonic hard-rock" or "hard-rock with symphonic metal elements".  

GilAskan
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:24 am
GilAskan
Nightwish I generally don't like pegging down, simply because I'm always wrong. I always forget what they are. On a whim, I'd say the following- They're popularly referred to as symphonic metal, and sometimes as gothic metal, but neither would be as precise as something like "symphonic hard-rock" or "hard-rock with symphonic metal elements".

Operatic Metal I find covers Nightwish perfectly. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:53 pm
GilAskan
Malice Mizer jump around a lot. Generally, people will refer to them as "visual kei". The term isn't really a genre, but a trend in popular Japanese music. Genre wise, as said, they've jump around. Their early work is comparable to hair-metal and symphonic metal. As Gackt took on the role of lead singer, they moved into pop, glam, synth-pop, and pop-rock. After Gackt left and Klaha took over, they moved back towards symphonic metal, with black metal inclinations and some limited darkwave/etheral influence.

I have to disagree with you refering to Malice Mizer's early work as being hair-metal. Their early songs with Tetsu like Sadness wasn't anything close to being similar to hair-metal (although their image wasn't a far stretch.) Their early sound was almost gothic in the traditional 80's sense while still having a metal influence.

Cockroach Waltz

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:22 pm
Rellik San
GilAskan

I use the term "operatic" very sparingly, as a fan of opera myself. A proper opera (and therefore, anything described as operatic) should tell a story through multiple movements, with multiple characters.

Nightwish taps into it with some songs, but none of their albums are cohesive enough to earn the term. Nor are they of the scale to accomplish the final product.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:28 pm
Cockroach Waltz
GilAskan

I have to disagree with you refering to Malice Mizer's early work as being hair-metal. Their early songs with Tetsu like Sadness wasn't anything close to being similar to hair-metal (although their image wasn't a far stretch.) Their early sound was almost gothic in the traditional 80's sense while still having a metal influence.

I'm least familiar with their early works, so I'll defer to you.  

GilAskan
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:02 am
GilAskan
Rellik San
GilAskan

I use the term "operatic" very sparingly, as a fan of opera myself. A proper opera (and therefore, anything described as operatic) should tell a story through multiple movements, with multiple characters.

Nightwish taps into it with some songs, but none of their albums are cohesive enough to earn the term. Nor are they of the scale to accomplish the final product.

Which is why I never declare them full opera, they have the styling, but not the full requirements. Because to be honest, there was no other way you could really describe Tarja's vocals other then operatic.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:19 pm
simple terms
malice mizer = jrock/visual kei
nightwish = metal

done.

no guff no long a** epxlainations that could look like it would rival einstiens theory of relativity none.  

xX x0mbie Xx

Jakk-Arcani

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 am
lamb of god and sisters of mercy  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:19 pm
Why do people argue over genres like it's a matter of opinion? =/ It makes them seem really foolish U_U  

DioRte

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm
GilAskan

What he said. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm
After looking it up Nighwish falls under the category of Rock-Opera. At least thats what most major media corporations refer to them as.  

SC_Anubis

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:25 am
DioRte
Why do people argue over genres like it's a matter of opinion? =/ It makes them seem really foolish U_U

There are a few reasons.

For one, a lot of people think genres are a matter of opinion. "Oh, well, they're goth to me" or some bullshit like that. People don't seem to get that genres are equivalent to scientific classifications. Having a fat pug doesn't make it a bull-dog, you know?

The other reason is disconnects of opinion on what the terms mean. Ask most teens, and they'd probably tell you that goth-rock is dark, depressing metal music that's anti-Christian and pro-violence. Certain genre terms are more well agreed upon (I have yet to hear anyone argue about what is and isn't techno), but others are more contested (indie rock is a big one...).  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:21 pm
Archangel Travis
What genre would you consider Malice Mizer and Nightwish type bands? I'm not too big into media and my knowledge of bands is horribly narrow. So, It's just curiosity. Thanks.

Nightwish is a Classical or Opera Metal..i havent heard of the other band  

Dione Rose

Dapper Hunter

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers