Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
Japanese Fantasy Writing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Simon Wells

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:53 am

Japanese Fantasy Writing Contest

Submit any writing inspired by anime or other Japanese fantasy media.

It can be poetry, filk, haiku, short story, or any writing.

Enter by posting your work right here in this thread. edit: If you'd prefer to be anonymous, send your entry to me and I will post if for you.

You can use work written previously but it should be entirely your own work and also new to us, so don't use work already posted anywhere in The Friends of English Magic Guild.

First Place - 3000 gold
Second Place - 2000 gold
Third Place 1000 gold

Feel free to edit your entry as often and significantly as you want until the submission deadline, so long as it remains basically the same piece and the edits are your own work.

The voting poll to choose the winners will go up on January 30th or when we have ten entries, whichever comes first.

Prizes awarded via trade with Simon Wells.

Limit one entry per member, total ten contestants, all FoEM members, mods and crew my enter.

Feel free to chat and ask questions here. I reserved the second post for entries just in case the thread gets confusing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 pm
Hope it's not too long.

Kagegakure
Naruto Fanfiction
PG-13 for Violence and langauge

The rocky ledge above the waterfall echoed the dull roar of the falling water. Early-morning mist filtered pale sunlight into different spectrums of color. Two figures stood, silhouettes in the silvery brilliance left in the wake of a cloud temporarily blocking the out the sun.

The first, a tall male with messy brown hair and lively green eyes. He had a build that suggested power without the burden of too much weight and moved with a confident step. He had a friendliness about him that could be seen in any member of his family, which had roots in the lands around Konohagakure.

The other figure was a shorter girl with light brown hair and large eyes. She was built like a gymnast: slim and flexible, with long limbs which gave her a stride that bettered that of a grown man. Her pale skin and expressive features were exaggerated nearly to the point of being exotic, for her family clan hailed from a far off country.

The pair were shinobi of Kagegakure, the village hidden in the shadows. Not only that, they were two thirds of the best ninja team in Kagegakure’s history and the youngest ever to be ranked as Jonin. On top of it all, they had been best friends since their toddler years.

“So what do we now, Gussu?” asked the girl. Her voice carried a strange- though not unpleasant- accent. Her companion, Gussumaru Kenji, shrugged. His clan specialized in fire-based chakra control, and each member- Gussu included- had three piercings in each ear.

The speaker’s name was Baratoge Kaori, though she went by “Kazari,” which was a nickname she had been given at a very young age. She was the youngest member of the Baratoge clan, which mostly specialized in botany-based chakra control and jutsu. Quite a few of the Baratoge were esteemed healers or makers of poison and potions, and Kazari even had an uncle who ran a successful herbal brewery business.

Gussu sighed. “We need to find him soon. Seikage said he wants to make plans to meet up with our correspondent from Konoha. He claims to sense danger on the horizon.” The “him” he was referring to was the last member of their team, Karusen Kyosuke. Kyo’s chakra control focused on ice, which was fitting, for the young man had a cold heart. He did have a strong sense of duty, though.

“Looked everywhere we have!” Kazari brushed her lengthy bangs out of her eyes, only to have them fall right back into place again. She crossed her arms and walked to the very edge of the rocky cliff, looking down to where the water crashed far below. Gussu watched her. He could almost see the gears working in her mind. Kazari’s eyes lit up, and she smiled. It was an expression that could make most young men melt on the spot. “Know where is our partner this Kazari does.”

Gussu grinned. Now that he thought about it, he had a pretty good idea of where Kyo would be. Channeling chakra into their feet, the two ninja made their way smoothly down the rock face, slipping behind the waterfall itself. There, an opening appeared in the living rock, barely big enough for a grown man to enter. But as Gussu and Kazari went through it the passage widened, eventually into a large cavern, every surface of which was covered with glittering, shining crystal of every color imaginable. Gussu cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, “KARUSEN! Seikage summoned us!”

When there was no answer, he called again, “C’mon frost face! We’re needed NOW!”

His voice echoed around the cavern until the sounds were just a mesh of unintelligible syllables. Suddenly, what the pair had taken to be clear crystal around their feet expanded from the cavern floor and encased Gussu’s feet. Alarmed, Gussu blew a stream of red fire from his mouth.

“No need to shout, kitten.” Kyo stepped out of the shadows, his hair burnt and smoking slightly. Honestly, Kyo’s most remarkable feature was his lack of color. His hair was snow-white and his skin was pale. His narrow, piercing eyes were ice-blue, and even his voice seemed colorless. It wasn’t monotone, but it was neutral and seemed to have no extremes, much like the tone someone would use when speaking with a small child.

Gussu frowned and sent a heat-wave of chakra to his feet, melting the ice. The two young men glared daggers at each other until Kazari stepped between them. “Act like children later,” she insisted, taking one of their hands in each of her own, “for now see Lord Seikage we must.” With that she utilized her Displacement jutsu and all three of them disappeared in a flurry of fragrant flower petals.

Kazari rolled her eyes, doing her best to appear not to know the two in front of her, she had stopped short of the Seikage’s office giving the two time to calm down. Gussu and Kyo had been at it since they found Kyo to report to Lord Seikage, actually they had been at it since they were toddlers but who wanted to count?

“You two will be shutting up or Kazari will be making you shut up!” She announced finally getting fed up with it, this would not look good in front of the Seikage at all. They were taking the term “youngest”Jonin too far into the wrong context.

“Yes Kazari” Gussu replied quickly

“Whipped” muttered Kyo under his breath, and then aloud “You gonna come over here and make me Kazari?”

Kazari started giggling causing Gussu to roll his eyes “Who’s whipped?” he asked under his breath.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The trio reappeared next to a set of large double doors, made of thick glossy wood that allowed no sound to be heard from withing. Kyo flicked a flower petal from his hair. “Ugh. Now I smell like a girl.”

“You already look like one.” Gussu snapped, though he was grinning. He pushed open the doors and the three entered as one.

The Seikage’s office was empty. Chairs had been overturned, the walls charred, the windows broken.

Gussu blinked “Oh shi-“

Kazari clapped a hand over his mouth. “None of that.”

“The letter from Konoha is still here,” Kyo announced, tossing a scroll with a Konoha leaf seal to her. “Either that or it’s a forgery.”

The youngest Baratoge ran her slender fingers over the seal, her fingers glowing slightly. “Real it is, this Kazari knows so. Who is to read?”

“ Better be me,” Gussu put in“I don’t think Kyo can read.” he shot taking the letter from Kazari and stashing it in his short’s pocket.

“First though we need to get some Black Ops in here to figure out what’s going on with all of this” he said waving his hand a the destruction.

“Really? Did it take all you training to figure that one?” Kyo interjected icily He went up to one of the burned walls and scratched at it “ ... For all this tells coulda’ been a member of the clan Gussumaru.....,” He turned facing Gussu smiling “ And that would be most ... unfortunate.. don’t you think?”

“Not nearly as ... unfortunate as your sudden bloody disappearance” growled Gussu under his breath

“Enough now for this Kazari” interrupted the youngest member of the team. “Now there is an easier way for a moment...” Kazari reached into her bag and pulled out what appeared to be several small seeds, she made her hand into a fist, and then opened her hand again revealing the seeds were now a powder.

“What? You’re going to give them Anthrax?” Gussu asked skeptically.

Kazari shook her head ignoring the comment, she brought her hand equal to her lips and blew against the powder. It took flight and covered the whole room. At first nothing seemed different but then Kyo and Gussu noticed around them areas where glowing.

Kazari smiled. “ Wha?” asked Gussu.

“ It.. It shows where Chakra has been used” guessed Kyo correctly. Kazarie nodded “Aye it does it is the seed from the flower of remnants.” She said softly “Kazari guessed it could show a bit of what has happened here. At that moment Gussu pricked up “ The Ops are here.” he stated.

“We can read the letter at my house,” Gussu offered “ My father should not be home or anyone else to bother us.”

The other two nodded and they made a point of leaving.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There was silence in the main room of the Gussumaru Household as Gussu read, finally after a length, he looked up with just one thing to ask.

“ Who is Orochimaru and why do we need to be on top alert?”  

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:57 pm
Here's a Kingdom Hearts fanfic (yes, I know! I'm obsessed!). It features most of the cooler characters of KH1, KH:CoM, and KH2, even though it would be impossible for all of them to be in the setting I put them in at the same time. Enjoy, and please... laugh. sweatdrop

Mini-Golf: KH STYLE
By Lhia_Dunwaith
(Rated PG-13 for small drug references and suggestive language)

"Thank GOD!" screamed Sora as Leon successfully parked the gummi ship in the parking lot. "I thought I was going to DIE!"

Riku unlocked the door, slid it open, and sat down on the pavement to catch his breath. "Sora, you need to learn about something. It's called PERSONAL SPACE. On the way back, please don't sit on me."

Sora retorted, "Well, it's hard squeezing ten people into a four-seat gummi ship." Behind them, Leon, Aerith, Yuffie, Cid, Cloud, Donald, Goofy, and Kairi came out as well. Kairi and Yuffie had gotten in a hair-pulling fight in the back seat; both of them had hair sticking up in odd directions.

"Where's everybody else?" asked Goofy stupidly, disregarding the fact that they were fifteen minutes early.

"Well," said Sora, flipping open a day planner with a Mickey Mouse sticker stuck to the front, "I got a call from Luxord earlier today. He said that he, Xaldin, Lexaeus, and Xigbar weren't gonna be there. And I don't think that Demyx is coming, either. He made a prank call to my phone, but it sounded like he'd had a concussion."

"Oh, yeah, there was some Guitar Hero incident involving him and Zexion," Aerith explained. Everyone turned to look at her, wondering how she even knew that. She blushed and hung her head. While Sora started singing, "You LIKE him! You LIKE him! You LIKE him!...", another gummi ship pulled up next to theirs. It was spray-painted silver and black.

It was the villains.

Ansem was driving, because he was the only one who remotely had a sense of direction. Xemnas rode shotgun. In the back was Sephiroth, and, much to everyone's dismay, Axel, Roxas, Larxene, Marluxia, Zexion, Vexen, and DiZ.

"Carpooling," Axel explained. Roxas and Sora screamed in excitement and manhugged each other. "It's good for the environment, y'know?"

"God, Axel, you sound like Rai," said Roxas.

"I won't play," said DiZ. "I'm just here to tally scores... and to scope out the girls."

Sephiroth drawled, "Axel wouldn't shut up about the stupid polar bears the entire way there. And if I had heard Roxas sing Veggie Tales one more time..." To prove a point, he cracked his knuckles menacingly.

Larxene leaned into Kairi and whispered, "That Sephiroth guy smells like meth."

"Let's get this over with," whined Vexen. "My book club is meeting in an hour, and I'm supposed to serve tea and crumpets."

The large group of twenty people moved to the sign-in. The lady behind the desk looked amazed. They hadn't seen customers in years, and today there were twenty. Nineteen, not counting DiZ.

"You're gonna hafta split into five teams of four," she said.

Team One was Sora, Roxas, Riku, and Axel.

Team Two was Kairi, Goofy, Donald, and Cid.

Team Three was Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, and Cloud.

Team Four was Larxene, Vexen, Marluxia, and Zexion.

Team Five was Ansem, Xemnas, and Sephiroth.

Everyone was given a differently colored golf ball (which took a lot of time to do), golf clubs were distributed, and they were on their way.

"Here's how you do it," Yuffie explained. "Each person has six tries to get the ball into the hole. You want to use the least amount of tries. We add up the players' tries, and the team with the lowest score at the end of the course wins."

Zexion yawned. "We get it."

Hole 1

Sora and Ansem were attempting to get competitive. Ansem screamed, "SUBMIT! You shall not win at mini-golf. One who knows nothing can understand nothing... about the way the graceful sport of mini-golf is played."

"I'll show you!" screamed Sora. "You're going down!" He unsheathed his Keyblade and hit the ball gently. It was a perfect hole-in-one.

"NEW RULE!" Xemnas declared. "No using Keyblades/gunblades/broadswords as golf clubs! 'Tis no longer allowed!"

"Huh?" said Cid. "Whussat suppose t' mean?" He wiped his nose on his sleeve rather unattractively.

Xemnas stared for a moment, disgusted. "Never mind."

Hole 4

"Like, oh my God," exclaimed Marluxia, sounding more like Paris Hilton than a Nobody. "This hole is, like, impossible."

It certainly was. The hole was located on an island. There was a thick moat of water surrounding the flag.

"I'll go first," said Vexen. He neatly froze the water and hit his golf ball over the ice.

Larxene stared. "Hole-in-one again. I hate you."

Vexen looked scandalized. "Larxene! Respect your elders!"

Marluxia took it differently. His eyes filled with tears and his voice became choked. "Vexen, WE are over! We are breaking up, do you hear me?!"

"You sure have a whacked sense of humor, Marluxia." said Zexion.

"Oh, he wasn't joking," Vexen told him unenthusiastically as Marluxia took out a hanky embroidered with flowers and started sobbing.

Hole 8

Leon and Cloud had both finished their hole. They were watching Yuffie and Aerith have their go. Their go was not going well. They were both too busy spying on Axel to concentrate. When Aerith's golf ball (hit by Yuffie) went soaring through the air and chipped one of Xemnas's teeth, they vowed to pay closer attention.

"Aerith's pretty cute," commented Cloud randomly. At that moment, she was whacking Yuffie in the head with her golf club, looking ferocious, demonic, but definetly not cute. Leon stared at him, wondering exactly how whacked his taste in girls was.

"Eh, I guess," replied Leon neutrally. "Personally, I like Larxene. But Naminé's cute, too. Why didn't Naminé come?"

Cloud shrugged. "Maybe she and Xaldin had a date today."

"That's disgusting." Leon sighed. "We sound like freshmen in high school."

Cloud laughed. "I steal lunch money from Olympian freshmen. Trust me. We are nothing like them."

Hole 12

Sora was doing OKAY. The only thing he was concerned about was beating Ansem.

"OH!" exclaimed Kairi, turning toward the sound system hidden very inconspicuously behind a bush. "I love this song! It's so beautiful!"

Ansem groaned. "Of what are these people thinking? Playing pop songs at a mini-golf course?!"

Kairi glared at him. "Pop songs are played everywhere. Sorry YOU don't like them."

Ansem turned away from her, muttering under his breath "Tch! Pop songs."

Sora began singing along to the euro/techno remix. "When you walk away, you don't hear me say-"

Riku cut in right at the high notes, butchering the perfectness of Utada Hikaru's singing. "PLEEEEEZE! OH BAAAAAaaaaAAAAAABY! DON'T GO! SIMPLE AND CLEAN IS THE WAAAaY-"

"Riku, shut up," said Kairi. "You suck."

"My ears are bleeding." said Sephiroth as his silver golf ball went into Hole 13. "Please. Make it stop."

"Save the high notes for Soprano Sora." Ansem said.

Sora looked scandalized. "ExCUSE me? Those notes are not high at all! I can reach a high C-sharp, for your information!" He demonstrated, perfectly hitting a note that would shatter glass. Everyone, even the lady at registration, turned and stared.

Axel covered his ears. "Ouch. Please don't ever do that again."

Roxas laughed. "C-sharp? That's NOTHING."

"Let's not battle it out like a couple of chorusgirls here," pleaded Xemnas. "Soon you'll be reaching notes that even dogs or dolphins are meant to hear."

"Well," said Roxas fairly, "I don't think that either of us can go as high as Marluxia."

"WHEN WE ARE OLDER YOU'LL UUUUUUUuUUUUUUNDERSTAND, IT'S ENOUGH-"

Ansem screamed, "RIKU! SHUT UP! I COMMAND YOU TO SHUT UP!"

"Sir, you may steal from me my power and my will, but you shall never take the music away from me!!!" proclaimed Riku boldly.

Hole 14

Goofy and Donald stared at each other. It was pretty boring near them. Kairi had ditched them to join Sora's team, and Cid had gone to the bathroom and had not returned.

"This is stupid," quacked Donald.

"I'm havin' a great time." said Goofy. Ten seconds later, he said, "You're right. This is stupid."

Hole 15

"NO!" Sephiroth screamed. "IT STOLE MY BALL!"

"Huh?"

"IT STOLE MY BALL!" Sephiroth said, pointing down the hole.

"Oh, yeah," said Riku. "It does that at the last hole to tell you that you're done."

"BUT- BUT- THEY STOLE MY BALL!" he screamed.

Roxas, Axel, Sora, and Kairi leaned in to each other, giggling. "Hee hee... they stole Sephiroth's ball."

"That's not funny," Sephiroth told them, scowling. "This is why people want to kill you. You're so goshdarn annoying."

Roxas began singing Veggie Tales songs again. Sephiroth said, "That. Is. IT! PREPARE TO DIE!" He unsheathed his long swishy sword from nowhere and ran after Roxas.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Roxas screamed.

The Ice Cream Parlor Next Door

DiZ laid the score sheets out on the table.

Roxas, Axel, Sora, Riku: 64
Ansem, Xemnas, Sephiroth: 68
Kairi, Goofy, Donald, Cid: 77
Cloud, Yuffie, Aerith, Leon: 134
Vexen, Zexion, Larxene, Marluxia: 72

"SWEET!" screamed Aerith. "We won!"

"You lost," Zexion reminded her. "By about a million."

They were all huddled around one of the large party tables, enjoying a loud and boistrous conversation and an ice cream.

"So..." said Leon slowly. "WHY were we kicked out again?"

"Apparently Sephiroth took out his sword and said he wanted to gut Roxas like a fish and the lady who owned the mini-golf course almost called the police." Larxene replied. "You morons."

"It's not MY fault!" Sephiroth told everyone. "Roxas was singing Veggie Tales!"

"I'd like to see you trying to be a parent," Vexen remarked. "You'd make a terrible dad."

"I already knew that," he said grumpily. "And besides, I AM a dad."

They all gasped.

"This is news to me!" exclaimed Yuffie.

"It's news to ALL of us," said Vexen.

Ansem asked, very slowly and carefully, "Who's the mom?"

Without looking up from his double chocolate milkshake, he said very calmly, "Aerith."

Aerith looked up, stared at Sephiroth, and screamed.

"Please tell me that that's not a 'oh my gosh I'm so happy I'm finally a mom' scream," said Sora.

"OH MY GOD!" screeched Marluxia, hugging Aerith around her shoulders. "I'll plan the baby shower!"

Cloud punched Sephiroth in the face.

"I love getting together with you guys," said Roxas dreamily.

"Yeah," said Goofy as Sora told Ansem a "yo momma" joke. "It reminds me of the times when we used to fight each other." Ansem apparently took the joke the wrong way, because Sora went sailing through the air and hit the opposite wall of the ice cream parlor.

Within a few seconds, everyone was screaming, yelling, and fighting, except for Goofy. Aerith stood up, announced to the group that she was going to see her doctor, and left.

The crowd dispersed after a while. Everyone went their seperate ways. Sora was happy, though. Next month, they'd go skiing.

The End  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 am
Here is a Sailor Moon fic. It is before Chibi-Usa arrived in the past. The lone figure stood out on a hill, over looking the kingdom. A small gray cat nudged her side. The figure stood with her back to the wind, a single tear trickling down her cheek. Her long white dress flowed in the breeze as she clutched a small gold key to her chest.

"Will you come back?" The soft voice of the cat, Diana, asked. The girl turned to look at her companion, a sad smile on her face. She knelt down.

"Of course I will come back" Chibi-Usa said softly. "But I must go. It is my fault that mother got hurt, I have to save her" Diana nodded understandingly.

"You don't have to go alone" She whispered. Chibi-Usa nodded fervantly.
"Yes, I do" She said. "Diana, no one can no about this. Pleas, promise me you won't say a word" Diana sighed.

"I promise" She said. Chibi-Usa stood up, bracing herself against the wind. She held the key up high.

"Time key, take me to the senshi of the past, Sailor Moon" She called. Diana watched in awe as a bright warm light filled the hills and engulfed Chibi-Usa.

"Agggh!" The startled girl cried as she began to fall at a face pace. Umph. She landed on something soft. Looking up she saw a startled couple staring at her. The girl looked familiar.

"Give me the crystal" She demanded.  

barbara_smith3423

dead threads - do not post

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces