Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply Advice from a Caterpillar
Originality: A Dead Concept?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Originality?
  Why bother when there's so much out there already?
  Of course! Life would be bland without innovations, after all...
  I'm up for it....as long as I don't have to think of it myself
  My opinion isn't relevant here (poll whore)
View Results

Vindictive Fox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:29 pm
Just a comment about the thread with rp ideas in it.

Does anyone have any original ideas for an rp, or will everything here be a half-baked ripoff of a work that's already been concluded?

----Note: If you have an original idea, feel free to post it here-------------

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:25 am
Half Baked ripoff. I tried going for some origionals, no one liked them or would roleplay with them.

Hey, thats what people like, I'm not to argue.  

pepperisawesome

pepperisawesome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:13 pm
Vengeful Fox

I always thought it was original enough when we made up our own scenario to put characters into, instead of taking a world that has already had its heroes, its challenges, and most importantly; it's ending. There's no point in submerging a character into a world without conflict. That's why all rps of that nature wind up being just idle characters with no real point. And they normally die within a few days/weeks (but no longer than that)

That's just me talking from my own experiences. I could be wrong this time.

I'll move the rest of this talk into the thread

I give credit to those who make up the roleplay, and sell the concept.
But you know, out of experince, how hard it is to begin an origional roleplay in which people will enjoy themselves. Most roleplays I have noticed steal plotlines and borrow themes from other sources.
Atleast some admit that their Roleplays and stories they have made up are taken from alternate sources.

But (out of my experince) origional concepts seem less popular. Extremely so, to the point people don't even try.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm
lunexor

Most roleplays I have noticed steal plotlines and borrow themes from other sources.

What do you mean by 'steal plotlines'? I only remember one from the old RPL that did that. And it was from one of our...less talented members >.>

But in general, there's nothing really 'new' anymore, so some similarities are to be expected in everything. As long as it's not blatant ripoff of something already established,, and has a visible conflict, then I'm fine with it.

But then, there are a lot of rps that do take the entire plot (like the one's i've seen in this subforum)  

Vindictive Fox

pepperisawesome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:26 pm
Vengeful Fox
lunexor

Most roleplays I have noticed steal plotlines and borrow themes from other sources.

What do you mean by 'steal plotlines'? I only remember one from the old RPL that did that. And it was from one of our...less talented members >.>

But in general, there's nothing really 'new' anymore, so some similarities are to be expected in everything. As long as it's not blatant ripoff of something already established,, and has a visible conflict, then I'm fine with it.

But then, there are a lot of rps that do take the entire plot (like the one's i've seen in this subforum)

Atleast it is clearly admited. That is what the people want, hence that is what I give them.

But it couldn't kill to see some origionality around here, true. I just want to see if the majority would go for it. With origional works, you have to make sure everything is secure, and not much will go wrong. Otherwise, lots will go wrong and no one will enjoy themselves.

Excatly, nothing is truley "New" anymore. I still want to find the perfect novel that rips off everything. Now that, that would be intresting.

Most of those Roleplays had baseplots that were very farmiliar. A little too farmiliar, but if you were to bring it up, one's head would get bit off.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:50 pm
Kase, you're amazing at coming up with Rp ideas, would you please help me brainstorm for an original one?  

xXxHellequinxXx

Lily of the Sword
Crew

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:50 am
Kase. You are a crew member. If you want an original RP, then DO IT. Don't just sit around here and complain about it. I'll be moving this to a different sub-forum since this thread is not an RP.

Yeah, we would like to see originality. And if you please remember, ANYONE CAN START AN RP IN THE GUILD. So if you want an original RP then make one and see how it goes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:16 am
Hey, if you ever need help starting an idea or RP, hit me up. I'm always ready for a good RP session.  

CrimsonDestiny

xXxHellequinxXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:30 am
Does anyone actively participate in the rps or not????  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:31 pm
I do! check out the Wonderland RP, Kahlan_BrightBlade and I have been writing away! And just today we were joined by ChocolateDippedinMello!!
I would love to see more people get into the RPs. They're such great ideas! And as far as I know they're pretty original too. Maybe you're right, lunexor, about people not liking original plotlines. Maybe they're scared blaugh Who knows? All I know is I'm going to make some characters for those RPs and stick them in there and see if anyone else will join me.  

The Night Faery
Captain

Lady Mimicry

6,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 pm
I was ChocolateDippedinMello, but I switched to this account. Anyways, we've made alot of progress and though the basics, ya know, Wonderland isn't original, our characters are original and it's actually a great story when you read it. I mean, we've made it to page 92 and it's still spiffy.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:57 am
User Image

Is there any decent role plays anyone will recommend?

User Image

Xenataos

Interesting Seeker

thefinnyfreak

Aged Phantom

8,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Heckler 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 pm
eh, the rippoffs are fun. We can do something we already kind of know, like i have an Alice in Wonderland based one.  
Advice from a Caterpillar

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games