Fashion & How People are Treated for It Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:58 pm
A few years ago, I noticed a disturbing trend in how people were being treated based on how they were dressed. As of late, I've noticed a similar recurring trend.

The discrimination? Alternative fashion criticizing popular fashion.

While preference is more than valid in terms of commentary, I find there to be a growing number of rude and cruel comments against popular fashion, and more often than not, it's taken from an elitest stand point.

I regularly come across threads based around people who have been denied access to certain clothes, particularly younger goths who complain about not being allowed to dress the part. Often, these complaints allude to how it's "unfair" that "Girls can dress like sluts" or "Guys can wear their pants around their knees".

I'd like to specifically address the point in this thread that these fashions, disdained as they may be within the goth culture, are far more discriminated against in popular culture, and are so with greater frequency.

Nationally, I know of dozens of cities and counties with LAWS preventing people from dressing this way. I don't know of a single school that DOESN'T have rules against these things, even if the rules go unenforced. Pop culture constantly mocks these fashions as well. Comics, film, television and literature all take cheap shots at popular fashion, while alternative fashion (in our case, goth) is only occassionally mentioned.

Examples:

Manah Uchiha
even if my school does get uniforms...and I know they never will......I would still break the dress code...I'd do almost anything to NOT look like a clone!!...Uniforms are are just a cruel way to make girls dress slutty if you ask me......you have yo wear Mini skirts in the fnckin' winter!!....the only thing that's missing from those outfits are the big flashing "Rape Me!" signs...

Discuss-

- Inconsistencies between popular conscent and popular use of fashion trends
- Whether or not my commentary is valid
- "Slutty"- Is a low cut skirt inherently more sexual than bondage pants, whose design is based upon sexual fetish?
- Is a corset (an expensive, inconvenient, and commonly uncomfortable device) any less absurd to be worn than ultra-baggy pants?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 pm
The phrase, "Asking for it," definitely comes to mind - never really understood why what someone wears indicates their likelyhood of getting assaulted.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:12 pm
Alot of the girls I've spoken to that dress 'alternative' actually look waaay sluttier than the the girls they complain about.
It just seems stupid to complain about something when your pretty much wearing a dyed-black version of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:49 pm
Blackrose Kaire
Alot of the girls I've spoken to that dress 'alternative' actually look waaay sluttier than the the girls they complain about.
It just seems stupid to complain about something when your pretty much wearing a dyed-black version of it.

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

http://www.synth-tec.com/product.php?pid=994  

GilAskan
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:15 pm
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

A]http://www.synth-tec.com/product.php?pid=994
A hooker skirt! biggrin

That just looks stupid to me,it looks like it would be akward to move in...And especially to bend and stuff.
So it's for either wearing pants or something under..or for stripping? xp  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:20 pm
Blackrose Kaire
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

A hooker skirt! biggrin

That just looks stupid to me,it looks like it would be akward to move in...And especially to bend and stuff.
Personally, I find the pants-underneath-short-plaid-skirt fashion to be a bit tacky.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:48 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Blackrose Kaire
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

A hooker skirt! biggrin

Personally, I find the pants-underneath-short-plaid-skirt fashion to be a bit tacky.Yeah me too  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:34 pm

I would have to say, why would one want to wear a skirt that short. I mean who really wants to see someone's a** hanging out from the bottom of there skirt. I think it just looks disgusting and tacky. I mean you can't really bend over or walk right without someone seeing your goods.

NekoYasha09er

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:01 pm
NekoYasha09er

I would have to say, why would one want to wear a skirt that short. I mean who really wants to see someone's a** hanging out from the bottom of there skirt. I think it just looks disgusting and tacky. I mean you can't really bend over or walk right without someone seeing your goods.
It'd be really scary to see a fat cross-dressing guy in that though O_o  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:07 pm
Blackrose Kaire
NekoYasha09er

It'd be really scary to see a fat cross-dressing guy in that though O_o

*shudders* Bad mental image. That would be horrible.

NekoYasha09er

mechanical kitsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:19 pm
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

]http://www.synth-tec.com/product.php?pid=994

scream holy... thats a skirt?! are you sure?!!
i saw a girl wearing something like that at the mall... she had to get her boyfriend to tie her shoe when it came undone. she wasnt goth, though.
the shortest of a skirt i've worn... mid thigh. seriously, that skirt looks like a belt.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 pm
xXx kitsy xXx
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

]http://www.synth-tec.com/product.php?pid=994

scream holy... thats a skirt?! are you sure?!!
i saw a girl wearing something like that at the mall... she had to get her boyfriend to tie her shoe when it came undone. she wasnt goth, though.
the shortest of a skirt i've worn... mid thigh. seriously, that skirt looks like a belt.

That's part of the point of this thread.

Goth fashion isn't inherently classy, nor is prep fashion inherently slutty. Alternative fashion isn't always high-brow unique, and mainstream fashion isn't always "give in to the hive mind"-conformist.  

GilAskan
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 am
Blackrose Kaire
GilAskan
Blackrose Kaire

Case and point:

This punk "skirt".

A hooker skirt! biggrin

Alternatively it has other uses, I won't go into details, but when you see a girl grinding to 'NiN - Closer' in a skirt that short, she often is actually off the dance floor, focused on one are of the guy who often has a stupid grin on his face.... in short, people use it to shag covertly in clubs and other public spaces.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:26 pm
oki......Manah has ?......Do I deserve to be stuffed in a Box(hadr wood...NOT cardboard) and tortured and have water poured all over me just because I'm emo/goth?...I don't think I do... emo some of my supposed friends were right outside that box too and they didn't help no matter how loud I screamed.....The Drama Teacher wasn't in th e room for a long time from what I guessed unless she just didn't feel like helping me either even though she is somewhat goth too I don't see her being stuffed in a box........................... stressed  

Manah Uchiha

4,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:03 pm
Manah Uchiha
oki......Manah has ?......Do I deserve to be stuffed in a Box(hadr wood...NOT cardboard) and tortured and have water poured all over me just because I'm emo/goth?...I don't think I do... emo some of my supposed friends were right outside that box too and they didn't help no matter how loud I screamed.....The Drama Teacher wasn't in th e room for a long time from what I guessed unless she just didn't feel like helping me either even though she is somewhat goth too I don't see her being stuffed in a box........................... stressed

I'm sorry to hear about that, though you answered your own question.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff