Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Nuri's Festival Calendar Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:37 pm
I present to you, my friends and companions, what I'm doing next year. The next step is to start writing rituals or ideas for the day. But that can wait a couple of days. I'd love feedback, and let me know if I missed anyone. These are only planned events, others may pop up as well.

For sanity's sake, I'm starting this off on January 1st

Noumenia celebrates the new month on the Athenian calendar. Good ways to celebrate these are to clean and purify! The day before is a traditional libation to Hekate and the Chthonioi.

My calendar has a bias towards Dionysian feast days. You can guess why. Athens-specific festivals are omitted, cause I don't live there. And why yes, I cited my sources...

January:
1: Spiritual Celebration of Beginnings
9: Noumenia -- Gamelion (month of Marriage)
10 : Haloa, suggested date from Mysteries of Demeter. Celebration of new growth in old and wild fields. Demeter/Dionysos. (pg 134)
12: Libation to Hera (yanked from Hellenion)
20-23: Lenaia, festival to arouse sleeping vegetation and bring springtime (a hopeful guesture in January, don't you think?). Festival of Dionysos, for lenaia either means Wine-press or is another name for maenad.

February
3: Gamelia, Sacred Marriage of Zeus and Hera.
5: Mardi Gras/Propompeia, celebration of satyr/maenads and the nymphs. (From Thiasos Dionysos)
7: Noumenia -- Anthesterion (Month of Flowers)
9: Libation to Aphrodite (Hellenion)
17-19: Anthesteria. Festival in three parts.
17: Pithoigia (Jar Opening). Lots of new wine. Dionysos epiphany, entering his sanctuary. Pleasure for pleasures sake. Offerings to the Chthonic gods.
18: Khoes (Pitchers): More drinking. Merrymaking. The opening of the mortal world to ghosts. A sacred marriage to Dionysos.
19: Khutroi (pots): A day given totally to the spirits of the dead. Sacrifices to Hermes Chthonios of cooked veggies and grains. Do not eat them, and cover your shrines. At the end of the day, purify and uncover the shrines, etc.
29: Diasia, a festival to Zeus Meilikhios (kindly). Burn food offerings whole.

March
1: Chloaia: meaning Verdant (green), festival of the relationship between Demeter and Persephone. (Mysteries of Demeter pg 146)
8: Libation to Hephaistos. (Hellenion)
8: Noumenia -- Elaphebolion (Shooter of Deer)
13: Elaphebolia, Festival of Artemis
15: Asklepieia, Festival of Asklepios
16-20: Greater Dionysos. Dramatic contests, sacrifices, processions of the God to His temple. The Biggest of the Dionysian festivals.

April
6: Noumenia -- Mounikhion
9: Feast of Eros
11: Mounikhia, celebration of Artemis as a moon goddess, mistress of animals
11: Libation to Artemis (Hellenion)
12: Lesser Mysteries, the first step in experiencing the Mysteries of Demeter. (Mysteries of Demeter, pg 201)
13: Meilichia, for Dionysos Meilichois. Gentle, sweet pleasures in life, guarding against unhealthy madness. (Thiasos Dionysos)
24: Olympieia, festival of Olympian Zeus

May
6: Noumenia -- Thargelion
10: Libation to Apollo (Hellenion)
11-12: Thargelion, Birthdays of Artemis and Apollo. First day of purification, second to offerings of first fruits
26: Memorial Day

June
4: Noumenia -- Skiraphorion
7: Kalamia, The gift of grain to Triptolemos. Releasing of negative influences. deciding where resources go (Mysteries of Demeter, 165)
14: Libation to Zeus
15: Skiraphoria, festival of cutting and threshing of grain. Honoring Harvest, Plouton (Demeters son), Descent of Persephone. Entering a Barren part of the year. (Mysteries of Demeter, 174)
17: Dipolieia, Festival of Zeus of the City.
27: Kybersneia, Festival of the Helmsman -- Honors Akoetes, the only man to see Dionysos as a god when He was among the pirates. (Thiasos Dionysos

July:
Bromia: during the first thunderstorm, celebratin Dionysos as god of Noise! (Thiasos Dionysos)
1: Bebakcheumenia, a day given entirely over to Dionysos. No commitments, just madness of the god. (Thiasos Dionysos)
3: Noumenia -- Hekatombaion. Hellenic New Year
6: Aphrodisia, a bathing festival of the goddess. Purification of her temple, her imaged washed.
12: Libation to Athene (Hellenion)
14: Kronia, a festival of Kronos as god of the Harvest
30: Panathenais, celebration of of Athene's birthday. Feast between gods and mortals.

August:
2: Noumenia -- Metageitnion
8: Metageitnia (?) Festival of Neighbors.
9: Libation to Hermes (Hellenion)
19: Ampelia, festival contemplating Dionysos's paradoxical nature. Vibrant life and chthonic gloom. (Thiasos Dionysos)
30: Nyktipolia, Festival of Dionysos Nyktipolos. Go run around all night, do things in darkness.
31: Noumenia: Boidromion (help in response to a shout)

September
1: Niketeria, festival in honor of Nike
5: Kharisteria, Feast of Artemis the huntress
6: Boidromia, feast of Apollo who rescuses people at War (may combine the two)
13: Libation to Demeter and Persephone (Hellenion)
14: Eleusian Mysteries (Mystereis of Demeter, 21 cool
17: Epidauria, commemorates the arrival of Asklepios
30: Noumenia -- Puanepsion (a ritual food. "boiled beans")

October
4: Proerosia: Preparing the fields/goals, study, education, sacred prayer. (Mysteries of Demeter, 80)
7: Mimneskia, Day of Remebrance. Solemn day of remembering Rome's supression of the Bacchanalia in 186 BCE. Ritual lament (Thiasos Dionysos)
8: Stenia, nocturnal female festival preparing for the Thesmophoria. Light-hearted insults, votive offerings (see pg 89)
9: Rites of Arkichronia, day between old and new year. The union between life and death, creativity in barren times. (Mysteries of Demeter, 100. Note, I moved dates around to better accomodate the Athenian calendar)
10-12: Thesmophoria, all female festival in honor of the new agricultural year. A pause for reflection. Mourning for Persephone on the second day, on the third, rejoicing at her arrival. (see pg 112)
28: Khalkeia: Festivals of smiths, associated with Athene and Hephaistos. Rest from work.
29: Noumenia -- Maimakterion (blustering)

November
8: Libation to Ares (Hellenion)
11: Veterans Day
16: Semelia, festival in honor of Semele, the mother of Dionysos. (Thiasos Dionysos)
20: Pompaia: Dedicated to Zeus Meilikhios. Purification
28: Noumenia -- Poseideon

December:
5: Poseidea, festival in honor of Poseidon
13: Libation to Dionysos (Hellenion)
21-?: Rural Dionysos, a simpler form of the Greater Dionysia. Merriment and the like. A good point of connection with the Winter Solstice
28: Noumenia -- Gamelion (month of Marriage)
31: Lysia, The Feast of Freedom, the Great Why-Not?. (Thiasos Dionysos)  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:57 pm
WOW, thats awesome. *makes mental note to jot those down when I get home* This will give me something to work off of.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:11 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
WOW, thats awesome. *makes mental note to jot those down when I get home* This will give me something to work off of.

I really recommend the Mysteries of Demeter book. I need to re-read it since I bought it, but it has some really interesting ideas and even rituals.

And as I work on my rituals and ideas for each of these days, I'll write up more on them, plus more about the how's and whys of this calendar.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

I really recommend the Mysteries of Demeter book. I need to re-read it since I bought it, but it has some really interesting ideas and even rituals.

And as I work on my rituals and ideas for each of these days, I'll write up more on them, plus more about the how's and whys of this calendar.

I'll have to add that to my list of books I need to find and buy, sence my local library does not carry most of them. I'm soooo happy I finally started working, even if it is just twelve hours a week xd  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:58 am
*Claps*
Thanks for posting Nuri, that was a really interesting read!
I think I might purchase the mysteries of demeter actually smile Can it be bought in bookshops or is it an amazon job? xd

The sheer number of festivals scares me a little xD I've only just started poking my deities with a stick.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:47 am
It was an amazon job for me to get that book.

It is a lot, and that's scared me in the past. My hope is that if I can work out what I am going to do on these days, it won't be as scary. If say, for the day that I honor the nymphs, I'm just walking the ISU quad and leaving an offering for the nymph in my favorite tree, that's not a lot, and can be done on my lunch break!  

maenad nuri
Captain

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:00 am
Just wondering, do you practice alone or within a group?
I'm thinking about some of the rituals I know about that are held for certain festivals, and they are usually done in a group setting.
Do you adapt these? Or perhaps write your own rituals?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am
patch99329
Just wondering, do you practice alone or within a group?
I'm thinking about some of the rituals I know about that are held for certain festivals, and they are usually done in a group setting.
Do you adapt these? Or perhaps write your own rituals?

The nearest Hellenic group that I know of is in Michigan, so I celebrate on my own. I adapt group rituals, and write my own when I need too.

And sometimes, I just make s**t up.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:32 am
Nuri

What sources do you draw from when you do such?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:38 am
TeaDidikai
Nuri

What sources do you draw from when you do such?

A combination of UPG, community resources, primary and secondary sources.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:40 pm
Nuri

Do you draw from outside your tradition?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 am
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Do you draw from outside your tradition?

When needed -- the Mysteries of Demeter book has a foot in Reconstruction and a foot within the more generic neo-pagan ideas, for instance.

Hellenic Polytheism has to be a living tradition, and not everything can be rooted in the past.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 am
What's the (Hellenion) for behind all the main god names? Is that to indicate that they're part of the main group that heads the pantheon? If so, why does it say 'yanked from Hellenion' by Hera? Is it a book? o: Oh, wait, Hera's is first, and that one is the only one..

You just got lazy and didn't want to type 'Yanked from Hellenion' anymore, didn't you? XD So it's a book? It's.. not a book according to Google.

Oh. Okay! Never mind, I think I've got it. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:37 am
It's a website ^_^
Hellenion.org, if I recall.  

patch99329

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:40 pm
patch99329
It's a website ^_^
Hellenion.org, if I recall.

Ding!