Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Food Addiction.....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LadySilverNite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 am
Ok. I have an addiction to flaming hot cheetos. For a while, I wasnt eating them AT ALL. But then I started on the little quarter bags and eventually the dollar bags...and then eventually 2 1 dollar bags EVERYDAY and I didnt eat them sparingly, I ate both bags one after the other.

I just joined a new gym today and my dad joined with me. Hes been getting onto me about my weight for a long time and usually he just puts me down and makes me feel like s**t and makes me feel even more "Stuck" and hopeless. But this time he is PAYING for my gym membership and he joined with me, so we're going to work out together. But he made it a point to tell me "NO MORE FLAMING HOT CHEETOS"

I know hes right. I know I have to give them up, or at least have them WAY less than before. The problem is, I seriously feel like they are my cocaine, and I am already withdrawing, and its been one day. I feel nervous and frustrated and irritated and I NEED A BAG!!! But I dont have a bag, because Im not letting myself. In fact, I dont think its good to have any at all for a while until I can control myself with them. But its SO HARD.

I almost feel like crying, because I really love my flaming hots. Why does it have to be so hard!???  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:06 am
Step One: Scale Back. Gradually scale back on your consumption of Flaming Hots. First, cut down to only one 1-dollar bag each day, down from two. Do that for the month of January. Spend the extra dollar per day on either fresh fruit, or a nail polish or lipstick, or some other little non-food or healthy-food treat. (Either daily for one dollar, or weekly for $7.) Then go down to two quarter bags a day for the month of February, and spend the extra $3.50 on another little healthy-food treat or non-food treat. Then go down to one quarter bag per day, and spend the remaining $1.25 a week on a little treat, as before. April, go down to a bag every other day. May, go down to a bag only twice a week. June, down to once a week.

Step Two: Substitution. Instead of bags of Flaming Hots, get a bag of Soy Crisps. If you're familiar with Weight Watchers point system, two tiny bags (quarter bags?) of FH's will be worth about ten points. You can get a bag of Soy Crisps, an entire bag, for about eight points, thus saving you two points, while getting to eat slightly more of them. They come in White Cheddar, Lightly Salted, Barbecue, and some other flavors. It'll still taste and feel like chips, so your crunchy craving will be satisfied.

Step Three: Replacing. On the days when you're not eating your FH's, get some dried banana chips (not the fried kind; check for fat content) or apple chips. They're still crunchy, but a lot healthier. You'll still need to eat less of them -- an ounce or two instead of a huge serving -- but you'll find that you're more satisfied nutritionally, you feel full faster, and you won't get as hungry again quite as quickly..

And because a lot of your discipline is coming from your dad, you should tell him that you aren't going to be able to stick with it in the long term if you go cold-turkey. But if you allow yourself to step down gradually, you'll be making smaller changes at a rate that's comfortable, and you'll stick with them for much longer. That should make him a bit happier as he sees you making the effort.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 pm
Withdrawal is terrible, but dude... once you´re over it, things are great. Also, after a while of eating the healthier stuff, as strange as it may sound now, you´ll start craving things like carrots and fruits and stuff for a snack instead. O-o;; You´ll always have the flaming hot cheetos in the back of your mind... and every once and a while is okay... but if you´re trying to kick an addiction, you really don´t need to be eating them at all for a while. :3

It´ll be hard, but it´ll be soooooo, so worth it in the end. And, who knows, maybe you´ll hate flaming hot cheetos after a while. :] I was addicted to soda before I started dieting and eating healthier, and now that I haven´t had any for a year, I get sick when I drink it because I´m so used to drinking nothing but water, soy milk, and organic juice. x3

Good luck! And I´m glad your dad joined the gym with you! It´s always nice to have others along with you.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 pm
OMG Sweetie, I went through the same thing. Those are worse than cigis!!!!

They are so addictive, but instead of making them an everyday thing, make them a special occasion sort of thing. When I was a senior in h.s. my diet consisted of a big bottle of iced tea, and one of those giant dollar bags. Luckily I had friends, and theatre teacher, who loved them too, so i started by sharing. Then i slowly cut down to special occasions.

Try this, make a small weight goal, like 5 or 10 pounds, and let yourself have one of the tiny bags for making your goal.

You don't have to give them completely up because trust me you'll just slip and give up that way, but try to just cut back you know.  

Soi Tsuba

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games