Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Offerings.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:17 am
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm in the process of setting up some shrines to deities and other beings I like and honour ^_^
When each shrine is completed, I'll make an offering for the divinity in question.
I've been thinking hard about what to offer, particularly since I am very greatful to two deities for helping me out so much recently. I want to offer something special.

So I was wondering, what kind of things do you offer to various beings? Why do you offer such things?
Have you had any notable experiences due to a particular offering or sacrifice?
Why (if you do) do you leave offerings for something?

I'll answer later ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:24 am
Well, offerings and sacrifices are two different things in my book. Mostly because I think many folks don't understand the concept of Sacrifice anymore.

A stick of incense is an offering unless great time, care and effort and expense is put into it- then it becomes a sacrifice. wink

As for what I offer and sacrifice and to whom, it completely depends on who I am working with.

Food, art, drink, scented items and the like make for standard offerings.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 am
I'd day an offering is something that does not have any emotional attachement. Perhaps it's a run of the mill thing, and no great amount of thought into it.

A sacrifice is something that takes a little more to be offered.
For example. I'm going to offer my very favourite amythist necklace to poseidon. I love it to bits.
I was once going to throw it into the sea. But realised thats not practical because it'd wash up again immediately xD  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 am
patch99329
I'd day an offering is something that does not have any emotional attachement. Perhaps it's a run of the mill thing, and no great amount of thought into it.

For example. I'm going to offer my very favourite amythist necklace to poseidon. I love it to bits.
I was once going to throw it into the sea. But realised thats not practical because it'd wash up again immediately xD
Could always pay for a ride over the Bar and then chuck it.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:06 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329

Thats a nice idea ^_^
I'd have to find boat rides though ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:15 pm
patch99329
TeaDidikai
patch99329

Thats a nice idea ^_^
Hope you don't get sea sick.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:10 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329
TeaDidikai
patch99329

Thats a nice idea ^_^
Hope you don't get sea sick.

Nah, I'm good unless it's dark. ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:39 am
Here's a thought.

Perhaps the most valuable things one can offer the Sacred is our time, oddly enough. Time studying them, honoring them, etc. In a way, the practitioner themselves is the offer by paying direct serivice to that entity.

That's not to say one doesn't make offerings other than oneself and one's time studying the Path. I quite regularly offer something to Storm Spirit whenever one is passing in the area - most often the burning of a candle, incense, and a bit of a blessing or incantation of sorts. It's primarily to pay respects but sometimes I also give the offering with the intent of feeding Storm's energy. Though every time I empower storms, I'm later reminded why I really should be more careful about doing that. sweatdrop  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:45 am
Starlock
Here's a thought.

Perhaps the most valuable things one can offer the Sacred is our time, oddly enough. Time studying them, honoring them, etc. In a way, the practitioner themselves is the offer by paying direct serivice to that entity.
Or not. Sometimes this takes the form of self service.

At a certain point it's like those guys who buy their wife gift cards they are going to use themselves.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:48 am
TeaDidikai
Starlock
Here's a thought.

Or not. Sometimes this takes the form of self service.

At a certain point it's like those guys who buy their wife gift cards they are going to use themselves.

True enough. But then could you really call it an offering? I'm not sure I'd call it that if it's made with self-serving motives. sweatdrop  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:01 am
Starlock
But then could you really call it an offering?
That's my point. You couldn't- or at least, it would be dishonest and thus you shouldn't.

Just reigning in an otherwise good thought so the generalization doesn't include things the valid point should not include.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games