Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Cleansing Crystals Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:43 pm
I would like to cleanse a new crystal I got with sea salt water, but I know that some crystals can be damaged by salt. I was wondering if any of you knew a resource that can tell me what properties of crystals make them susceptible to damage by salt or dirt, or even if anyone has a list of crystals and how they can be safely cleansed.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:48 am
I don't have any titles for you, but a few suggestions of where you might look. Cunningham's Gem encyclopedia might have something like that, but you're more likely to find what you're looking for in a geology book at your local library. As a general guideline, so long as you aren't working with a mineral with very low hardness (such as talc), you should be fine cleansing it with salt or dirt.  

Starlock

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 am
What is the crystal?
It'd be easier this one time if you just said and we could help xD  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:24 am
I'm more curious as to "why saltwater". ~shrugs~  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:31 am
It's Serpentine. I'll look into the Cunningham book, though, because my Crystal Bible doesn't have that sort of info. At least I think. A friend is borrowing it right now so I wasn't able to look into it this time.

Tea, I chose that because various books I've read and internet websites all say I should. That, as well as moonlight, or burying it, or smudging it, or putting it in a satchel of some specific herbs whose names escape me right now, or if necessary run it under cold water. Why? I have no idea. I don't know what stones are made of, and while burying it under dirt or running it under water makes sense to me, apparently sea salt water is "the best." I don't have any degrees in gemology so I figure if so many sources are saying it's good I'm inclined to believe it. What could it hurt? Besides the crystal, of course. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:59 am
Actually, I've done a bit of research and apparently I shouldn't soak anything that has a water or metal content, and serpentine has both of those. I'm just going to bury it for a day.

But I would like to know why sea salt is apparently the most effective. Every site says that but never explains why. confused  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 pm
Sophist
It's Serpentine. I'll look into the Cunningham book, though, because my Crystal Bible doesn't have that sort of info. At least I think. A friend is borrowing it right now so I wasn't able to look into it this time.
It's safe to wash with salt water- if it really is Serpentine. Some people have taken to dying agates and calling them Serpentine- if so, the dye will wash off and at least you'll know. ~shrugs~

Quote:

Tea, I chose that because various books I've read and internet websites all say I should.

Must... resist... urge... to.... ask.... about..... jumping off.... bridges. ~ahems~

Sorry.

Okay- here's the thing: What does all this information tell you about the procedure?

Mix salt with water and presto! All cleansed?

What are the mechanics? What is the symbolism involved?

And most importantly- why is it right for you?

And why does it need to be cleansed to begin with?

This really isn't about gemology. If it were- I'd be asking you why you aren't using a commercial quality gem cleaning solution. Though- that isn't a bad idea either.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:02 pm
Sophist
Actually, I've done a bit of research and apparently I shouldn't soak anything that has a water or metal content, and serpentine has both of those. I'm just going to bury it for a day.
I'd be interested in how they define soak.

And why you needed to soak it to begin with.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 pm
lol I knew you'd say something like that.

From my understanding I suppose since salt came from the earth it's like a super concentrated form of whatever benefits the stone would get from just being buried in regular dirt. The properties in salt are such that it would effectively draw out negative energy or energy placed on it from being mined or gathered, from those touching it while packing it, from those touching it while shipping it, and from those unpacking it and placing it in the store. All the residual energies of whoever touched it will be on the stone. If I wanted to have a stone completely free of anything but exactly what I want to program it for then it would be rather important that I cleanse it of all this residual stuff. Also, water itself I think has a naturally cleansing property because of its role. It sustains, satiates, and religiously has been used to cleanse after having been blessed for quite a long time. Cleansing it has more to do with what it means to be cleansed symbolically than physically. Otherwise I'd just get the gem cleansing solution.

It's right for me because of how I explained how I believe things in another thread. I just like to go by tradition because it's been tried and true and proven to work for many other people. This doesn't mean I'd jump off a bridge if someone told me to. lol I just like to know that what I'm doing has been part of a tradition that has been proven to work through the ages. That's why I can't just make up some crazy incantation and then do some sort of wiggle dance and presto change-o, the stone is cleansed! If I thought that whatever I decided to do was right then I'd have no need for this guild or for existing deities or tradition, for that matter. I'd just do whatever I wanted. But that's obviously not what I was looking for.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm more curious as to "why saltwater". ~shrugs~

Salt has properties that cleanses or negates dark energies and evil spirits.

In fact, the Wiccan and Roman Catholic recipes for Holy Water are very close and both contain blessed salt.  

[BlkCat]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:32 pm
Sophist

From my understanding I suppose since salt came from the earth it's like a super concentrated form of whatever benefits the stone would get from just being buried in regular dirt. The properties in salt are such that it would effectively draw out negative energy or energy placed on it from being mined or gathered, from those touching it while packing it, from those touching it while shipping it, and from those unpacking it and placing it in the store.

So... why does salt do this? And why is salt clean unto itself? I mean- salt is mined and gathered and stocked on store shelves too. What makes it different from the stone you're seeking to cleanse?
Quote:

Cleansing it has more to do with what it means to be cleansed symbolically than physically.
Why is that? Why mere symbolism and not a sacred act in addition to a physical one?
Quote:

It's right for me because of how I explained how I believe things in another thread. I just like to go by tradition because it's been tried and true and proven to work for many other people.
By that measure- why not simply dip the thing in Holy Water. Works for Roman Catholics!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm
TeaDidikai

Quote:

It's right for me because of how I explained how I believe things in another thread. I just like to go by tradition because it's been tried and true and proven to work for many other people.
By that measure- why not simply dip the thing in Holy Water. Works for Roman Catholics!

Exactly XD....Blessed Salt is used in making holy water.  

[BlkCat]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 pm
[BlkCat]

Salt has properties that cleanses or negates dark energies and evil spirits.
Where do you draw this conclusion from?

Why is "dark energy" bad?

And what of the evil spirits from different kinds of folklore that live in salt and salt water?

Quote:
In fact, the Wiccan and Roman Catholic recipes for Holy Water are very close and both contain blessed salt.
I'm curious as to which Wiccan broke their oaths to tell you such. Is there Mystery within the use of salt for the Consecrating of Tools?

Also note- not all of the Roman Catholic traditions include salt in blessing their water.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:38 pm
TeaDidikai
So... why does salt do this? And why is salt clean unto itself? I mean- salt is mined and gathered and stocked on store shelves too. What makes it different from the stone you're seeking to cleanse?

Well, I don't know. If I did I wouldn't have asked that same question earlier in the thread.

TeaDidikai
Why is that? Why mere symbolism and not a sacred act in addition to a physical one?

What do you mean by sacred act? Why should it be one?

TeaDidikai

Because I don't have any! xd And actually according to BlkCat I'd be making my own version. Seems a lot cheaper than buying "special holy water" in a bottle.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm
[BlkCat]
TeaDidikai

Quote:

Exactly XD....Blessed Salt is used in making holy water.
In some of the Western Rites- yes. But I don't see her rushing to pour wine and ash in as well.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff