Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I Have A Question About Cunningham

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like polls?
  Indeed.
  Yes.
  Poll whore.
View Results

Screaming Lord Byron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:05 pm
I've just started to read Wicca by Scott Cunningham and I was kind of confused about something he said and I've also heard it talked about in other books.
He mentions something about the god being in the sun and the goddess being in the moon. I was wondering how could that be because there are many suns and there are many moons.
I'm not trying to mock the religion so please do not get offended. I am only a beginner and I hope someone has advice for me.
Thanks to all!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:09 pm
Wicca- which was the basis of Cunningham's books, worships two specific deities- the Lord and Lady of the Isles.

As gods, their nature in relation to the Moon and Sun of this planet may or may not be part of the mysteries.  

TeaDidikai

Screaming Lord Byron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm
TeaDidikai
Wicca- which was the basis of Cunningham's books, worships two specific deities- the Lord and Lady of the Isles.

As gods, their nature in relation to the Moon and Sun of this planet may or may not be part of the mysteries.

Um...I'm still a little confused.
Sorry, I'm not the brightest Crayon in the box if you know what I mean.
I'm guessing what you say is that it's impossible to know because it's a mysterious religion?
Sorry, I tried.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 pm
MimeSublime

Don't be so hard on yourself.

You're asking questions! That's a good thing.

Quote:
I'm guessing what you say is that it's impossible to know because it's a mysterious religion?
Sorry, I tried.
Not impossible to know.

See- Wicca itself is a religion that has Mysteries. Mystery religions had secrets that were both about the mechanics of the religion and it included the spiritual knowledge of the religion.

The way to learn these Mysteries was to be initiated and taught.

Cunningham based his books off this Mystery tradition.

He borrowed elements of the religion that were not the Mysteries and published them.

To those ends- he says that the God and Goddess of the religion he wrote about are the Sun and the Moon.  

TeaDidikai

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:22 pm
Well first, there is only one Sun. Our Star is the only one called "Sun". Second the References to the Moon, again refer to our Moon.....as it is also the only one named "Moon"  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:28 pm
Ethermus Prime
Well first, there is only one Sun. Our Star is the only one called "Sun". Second the References to the Moon, again refer to our Moon.....as it is also the only one named "Moon"
Both of which have many names within different cultures and often are terms applied to other solar systems.  

TeaDidikai

Screaming Lord Byron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 pm
TeaDidikai
MimeSublime

Don't be so hard on yourself.

You're asking questions! That's a good thing.

Quote:
Sorry, I tried.
Not impossible to know.

See- Wicca itself is a religion that has Mysteries. Mystery religions had secrets that were both about the mechanics of the religion and it included the spiritual knowledge of the religion.

The way to learn these Mysteries was to be initiated and taught.

Cunningham based his books off this Mystery tradition.

He borrowed elements of the religion that were not the Mysteries and published them.

To those ends- he says that the God and Goddess of the religion he wrote about are the Sun and the Moon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:40 pm
Does that make sense?  

TeaDidikai

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Ethermus Prime
Both of which have many names within different cultures and often are terms applied to other solar systems.

But being that we know from what Culture he wrote from, and being that when we see "THE" in front of Sun or Moon....it Means the Sun and Moon which circles our planet.

When one uses the term "moon" in reference to another plante it's not so much a correct term as it is an analogy. "Oh that is to Jupiter, as the moon is to us"  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:48 pm
Ethermus Prime
TeaDidikai
Ethermus Prime

But being that we know from what Culture he wrote from, and being that when we see "THE" in front of Sun or Moon....it Means the Sun and Moon which circles our planet.

When one uses the term "moon" in reference to another plante it's not so much a correct term as it is an analogy. "Oh that is to Jupiter, as the moon is to us"

So then what is the "correct term"?  

Collowrath

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:51 pm
Romanus

So then what is the "correct term"?

Natural satellite

Either are correct though, it's just saying "Look it's Jupitors moon" is saying "Look, it's Jupiter's equivalent of the Moon"  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Ethermus Prime
TeaDidikai
Ethermus Prime

Or- you know, the text in question could be speaking about a greater Archetype or something. wink Not like Cunningham ever used those.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff