Reply The L Guild Forum
The Stupidity of it All Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tea with Bubbly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:56 pm
So a couple nights ago my good friend and I got into the discussion of Death Note and it's popularity.

We reviewed over the obvious new mouth-foaming fans that were surely hit us like a huge tidal wave and bad B.O. and bad cosplay. Again I'm not bashing on all new fans, but if you have proof that the majority of them are in the least bit intelligent then by all means prove it to me.

Now we all can easily predict what the majority of them will do to ruin the good name of the show, but what about the older fans?

Believe it not but there are acts of stupidity displayed by... lets call them oldbies for now.

The group of people I'm discussing is usually split off into two groups. The first being the haters of anything translated by "those corporate bastards" and the second being those who just take Death Note too seriously. Let's start with the first group.

For lack of a better term I shall call them "The Haters". Trust me I know the dread of all that is to come from Adult Swim's Death Note Dubbed airing on weekends but that doesn't mean they need to shake their fists at every person who worked on the series.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is they never use contructive critism. There is a difference between "OMG U SUCK SUBS 4EVa4!!11" and "His tone was flat on parts that he should've been peeved or excited. He also sounds akward with some lines, like he didn't practice them enough." xD

I don't mind if people don't enjoy what I do as much or at all. It's the fact that they can't give good reason to what they're saying that bothers me.

Going on to the second group, it's the type that takes Death Note too seriously.

Death Note is obviously not for children, which is why I don't have to completely worry about it turning into Naruto or One Piece. Be that as it may it's a fictional story with fictional characters. Of course we all wonder about the what if's and the what would you do's but when it comes down to it, it's not real.

You can't tell me it doesn't peeve you when someone preaches about how we should all follow Kira's lead or blah blah blah. Just a few days ago, I recieved a private message from someone who did just that. They start to change their thoughts or morality and ways of concluding problems as close as they can to DN, which if you really think about it, it's very creepy and kind of scary.

Deaht Note is just a source of entertainment. It's a fantasy. A hypnotizing story and that's what makes it so great. But when someone can't tell the difference between fiction and reality, it ruins it for the rest of us.

Those are the shorten versions of my rants opinions. It's oldbies like this that pretty much make me want to vomit. They ruin it for potential good new fans of DN and even for those who already have been a fan of DN for a while.

Saying that the newbies tend to bother me the most. Yes there are people who genuinly just enjoy the show and the characters but are they a lot of them in the new group? I believe not.

Just wait, we're going to find beyon-belief annoying fangirls and know-it-alls after just a few episode. Just because you know what L's favorite socks are doesn't mean you know the actually character. <<

So tell me, do you agree with me on this?

What other little stereotypes groups have you encountered?

Am I wrong for saying all of this?

One of my friends was already driven away from DN because of these types.

Do you select the people you talk to about DN so exactly this thing won't happen to you?

What peeves you the most about mouth foaming DN fans? xD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:22 pm
I just hate the long-time fans that start giving away spoilers!! D:<
like the ones that say 'Aww I'm sad that Light dies...'
okay that just ruined the ending for new fans. also~

'Too bad L died... DAMN YOU LIGHT!'
oh great... another spoiler! STOP IT!!

*who's your favorite character in DN thread!*
'LAWLIET~! :333'
you freaking idiot! his name suppose to be a secret!
if you're really a fan of L then don't be giving away his name like it's just ANY name!
D:

curse the spoilers that people are dumb enough to post!

and someone's morals and lala~ completely changed because of DN? o.o'''
that scary... it's just a story...an amazing one... but it doesn't mean you have to go on follow 'kira' ... come back to reality!

xX_Elysium_Xx

Konfekt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:45 pm
It only upsets me when people give away endings to a series when I dont want to know. I mean, its fine for people to get all obsessed about it. I mean, it makes things diffrent? I dont know, but all I know is when I first read Death Note I was REALLY into it. Is that what Gaia's for?

You sure do rant alot xD;  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:06 pm
Kabayal
It only upsets me when people give away endings to a series when I dont want to know. I mean, its fine for people to get all obsessed about it. I mean, it makes things diffrent? I dont know, but all I know is when I first read Death Note I was REALLY into it. Is that what Gaia's for?

You sure do rant alot xD;

xD

I like to think of it as detailed and reasoned ranting. :3

Tea with Bubbly

Tea with Bubbly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm
xX_Elysium_Xx

if you're really a fan of L then don't be giving away his name like it's just ANY name!
D:

that scary... it's just a story...an amazing one... but it doesn't mean you have to go on follow 'kira' ... come back to reality!

I'm so use to spoilers being shown to me that it hardly effects me at all, jaded I guess you can call it. Only in a written books do I get upset about that.

But yes I understand how that can be a peeve. It ruins the novelty of the twists and surprises in the plot line. :3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:13 am
I don't get why people put down dubs just because they're dubs.

Especially if they haven't even attempted to watch the dub they're putting down.

For example, I remember reading someone's journal on deviantARt mentioning they haven't even seen the dub because they didn't want to put up with it being bad. (And they knew it was bad without seeing it, how?)  

Piffle Inna Box

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:38 pm
People who follow "Kira's ideals" are out there and it freaks the living hell out of me. If you guys read my "OMFG..." post, then you'd know what I'm talking about. This guy murdered someone and chopped them into little pieces claiming to be Kira in Belgium!

Scary, scary, scary. I'm looking all ways around me whenver I go outside my house now. I'm scared to freaking death of people whom are messed up in the mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:52 pm
It's amazing how far people will go.
Though this seems scarier when they get that obsessive about Death Note than when they obsess that much over other anime because Death Note is...well, it has a lot of death XD but the point is, when people start murdering over an anime, that's retarded.
I do not think there is a big big risk of n00b fans because I think you do have to have half a brain to follow the story. Sure, there are poser fans who "OMG MISA HAWT" and stuff, but I don't see them too often.
I agree about those who shun the dub without seeing it. That's just as dumb...
On a side note:
Shouldn't this discussion be in the subtopic for Death Note in general?
It's a good discussion but we don't have enough threads in that topic because everyone leaves the main discussions in the L-only forum because it's the main forum.  

SCP-511

Tea with Bubbly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:46 am
gonk

The shame of some people!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:48 pm
xX_Elysium_Xx

D:

heh, basically every death was spolied for me

;~;  

Euroption

The World Within

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 am
I've met all kinds of DN fans, Supporters of both sides, old and new fans...actually I recently got a lot of my friends into the series and they seem to enjoy it.

It annoys me when anyone is all 'OMgzzzZ LyT3 iz So0o0o KY3wt!!1!!1one!!!111' and like you said when people b***h at new fans for being new fans. To me it doesnt matter how you get into a series. But if you can get into a series and maybe have intelligent conversations regarding it then power to you. Death note isnt a kids series, nor will it ever be, so I dont think theres any reason to worry about that. The fans can settle down.

And in my opinion changing your way of thought or your morals to fit to Kira's or L's or anyone in any series for that matter, I'd say it's time for a reality check. However if you walked into the series with the same morals, or religion, or mannorisms, or whatever than that's fine. But changing yourself to suit something or someone else in my eyes is never good.

In the end it is fictional.
You can love the characters with all your heart [which I do] wish they were real a thousand times [which I do] but in actuallity its just a story.
It's a fantastic concept. It's very well written and illistrated and all, dont get me wrong, but its a story and people should treat it as such.
I am admittedly obsessed with the story, and love it to death, but I never go that far for anything.

-END OF FRIKEN RANT-
damn Ive never posted this much before.
How much do you wanna bet NO ONE is going to read it? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 am
TheAntiKira
I've met all kinds of DN fans, Supporters of both sides, old and new fans...actually I recently got a lot of my friends into the series and they seem to enjoy it.

It annoys me when anyone is all 'OMgzzzZ LyT3 iz So0o0o KY3wt!!1!!1one!!!111' and like you said when people b***h at new fans for being new fans. To me it doesnt matter how you get into a series. But if you can get into a series and maybe have intelligent conversations regarding it then power to you. Death note isnt a kids series, nor will it ever be, so I dont think theres any reason to worry about that. The fans can settle down.

And in my opinion changing your way of thought or your morals to fit to Kira's or L's or anyone in any series for that matter, I'd say it's time for a reality check. However if you walked into the series with the same morals, or religion, or mannorisms, or whatever than that's fine. But changing yourself to suit something or someone else in my eyes is never good.

In the end it is fictional.
You can love the characters with all your heart [which I do] wish they were real a thousand times [which I do] but in actuallity its just a story.
It's a fantastic concept. It's very well written and illistrated and all, dont get me wrong, but its a story and people should treat it as such.
I am admittedly obsessed with the story, and love it to death, but I never go that far for anything.

-END OF FRIKEN RANT-
damn Ive never posted this much before.
How much do you wanna bet NO ONE is going to read it? sweatdrop

It's really annoying. I also don't like when people try to be exactly like the character they like. It's one thing just copying every once in a while for fun, because you're a fan. It's another trying to eat or write exactly the way they do but as in... all the time!

I just think it's strange to try to be like a fictional character completely. Again it's a thin line to seperate the copy-for-fun and the I'm-so-going-to-act-like-him-forever people.

It's a little hard to describe really but yeah, that's another group that bothers me. It just kind of ruins it for the rest of us, you know?

I also don't like newbies who think they know all after one dozen episodes

xD!!

I don't think that's long at all. I don't get how people can be lazy about reading just a few paragraphs. I blame main stream media and those fancy walkie talkies! -Shakes Cane- D:<

Tea with Bubbly

The World Within

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:11 am
I agree with you.
Its just a little creepy.

Personally I can relate to the characters in my own way.
Like Mello and the chocolate thing and the way I tend to sit like L...
I adore Mello to no end. But I dont try to be like him...
Except I really do wanna join the mafia. I have since I was seven...its an odd dream.
Though I do relate to him most out of all the characters... sweatdrop
That's cool with me...but I dont copy them and say Im going to do it forever....

People these days are too lazy though...
I read everyones post before I post [at least in the short threads] but then there are people who are like OMG IM NOT READING ALL THAT.
dork fishes...every one of them stare

I feel old sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:24 am
I love the quirks of all the characters. From L's sweet tooth to L's crazy laughter! But I can never say I'm like any of them. D:

I did do a test once that said I was most like Ryuk though. And when I told me friends they said "... Yesh, you do kind of act like him don't you! LOL :D"

xD

It's amusing, but I think that's the only character I can relate to. Ryuk... oh and Naomi! :3 Everyone else I just enjoy, like L and his sweet fetish. I can NEVER eat that many sweets. I don't like that many sweets, but I think it's cute nonetheless. xD

Seriously! It takes me less than a minute to read "long posts", I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and say that they're lazy but I really think it's because their brains can't process that much information. xD

Why do you feel old? D:

Tea with Bubbly

The World Within

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:32 am
I'm very much like Mello in more ways than one. For little trivial reasons and reasons I kinda feel go a little deeper than that but personality wise and mannorism wise and all that Id have to say Im most like him...

I loved Naomi. I thought she was amazing, and it made me sad when she died.
All of my favourite characters die in the end though, So I cant say I was shocked to death.

HAHA. Maybe they cant.
Maybe we're too smart for them. wink

I feel old cuz I'm all MWA MWA MWAH KIDZ THESE DAYZ. 0_o -twitch-
Its a little weird. neutral

The L Guild Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items