Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Creating a good composition Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:33 pm
I was curious as to how much we know about composition and design.

There are many little tips that can help us set up our images to make them visually balanced and attractive.

Let's each submit a point from art theory that we've learned.

I'd like to submit the Rule of Thirds.

Rule of Thirds in Photography

It's a neat little trick to help you have focal points. Mostly I've heard about it pertaining to photos, but it works for illustrations too.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:49 pm
I know this but I tend to forget to apply it for some reason.

Errol, there is something in theater called stage balance (or something), do you know? Basically it is that on stage, the actors have to be balanced either side.

And that can be applied to pictures, too. Try to balance left and right elements in drawings.  

Mogtoats

KowPatty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:11 am
Another important guide are the classic compositions:

http://chrisbfulmer.com/nlcart/2ddesign/ClassicCompositions.htm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

a focal point is well-placed on the rule of thirds or the golden mean, but overall, composition is much more than a focal point.

also, i have learned that it helps if the positive area leads off the plane in at least 3 sides. this brings the space forward and makes it more personal.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:58 pm
This doesnt really pertain to photographs/RL artforms. But it does have to do with proportions in the face/body.
The greeks came up with it. It's where you put your thumb next to your forefinger, with your hand/palm flat. and the part of the forefinger that doesnt have the finger next to it is used to measure proportions on the face.
It's one ...length. shrug. it's a unit of measure.

But the eyes are each one length, so is the mouth, and the ears. and the tip of the nose to the bridge/where it curves into your fore head is also one.

3nodding  

Yuri Mono

KowPatty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm
actually that does have everything to do with it - it is the golden ratio and it exists throughout nature, not just in our body's proportions.. smile it is part of where the rule of thirds comes from and it is also seen in pine cones, sunflowers, seashells, snails and more!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Oh hurray! 3nodding

Thanks, I totally forgot what it was called... sweatdrop

Yuri Mono

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:31 am
The Martian
I know this but I tend to forget to apply it for some reason.

Errol, there is something in theater called stage balance (or something), do you know? Basically it is that on stage, the actors have to be balanced either side.

And that can be applied to pictures, too. Try to balance left and right elements in drawings.
Cool. Seems there are things from different disciplines that can be used in drawing.

Visual balance is pretty important. I notice that's something I'm constantly mentioning in critiques. People confuse balance with symmetry too. Imbalance causes the eye to go directly to what seems "off" so you'll have a focus you don't want if. Then if it's symmetrical, you'll have a center focus that you don't want.

A lot of people aren't really familiar with eye flow. I try to keep that in mind. I don't always do a good job of it, but hey, it helps.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:37 am
KowPatty
Another important guide are the classic compositions:

http://chrisbfulmer.com/nlcart/2ddesign/ClassicCompositions.htm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

a focal point is well-placed on the rule of thirds or the golden mean, but overall, composition is much more than a focal point.

also, i have learned that it helps if the positive area leads off the plane in at least 3 sides. this brings the space forward and makes it more personal.
I'm going to add this one to the resource sticky.

I know there's more to composition than focal point. But if I started listing a lot of things, would you guys have posted?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

KowPatty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:45 am
oh i was just adding to the conversation, i wasnt trying to make it sound like you forgot something smile

i probably would have posted anyway, it would be impossible for anyone to list all of the compositional possibilities wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:48 am
Yuri Mono
Oh hurray! 3nodding

Thanks, I totally forgot what it was called... sweatdrop

Golden Numbers and Us

You can look through the sections on the side. There's some great pictures and he read is easy.

Golden Spiral (that's what I learned to use to help with focal point and comps), divine proportion, golden mean... there's a lot of ways to say it.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:55 am
KowPatty
oh i was just adding to the conversation, i wasnt trying to make it sound like you forgot something smile

i probably would have posted anyway, it would be impossible for anyone to list all of the compositional possibilities wink
True. I'm not that smart anyway. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:55 am
the fibonacci sequence!  

KowPatty

arcane_halo

Dapper Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:35 am
How is it that I understand a little of this when I'm not even a phoographer...

*thinks of brother* Ah yes...he teaches me things...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:16 pm
Of course It's Errol razz
Lol.

Victor VonKeller

perplexi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:46 am
here are some more compositions:

- Order
- Irregular
- Diagonal
- Vertical
- Horizontal
- Focal point (donut hole)
- Radial
- Kinetic energy

also, go to art school and take principles of design class.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff