Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Exsahn needs help breaking into the world of digital art

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esper The Phantom Beast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I really do need help with this. Ok guys I know I still need to improve a lot and yadda yadda in traditional art but I also know that photoshop or other graphics program along with a wacom tablet is a staple of the industry. My art teacher says theres about a three year learning curve on this stuff too so the sooner I get it and start learning the better. Of course I still plan to practice traditional art heavily and get as good at that as possible I also know that learning and getting a mastery of using a wacom tablet along with graphics programs is just as important! So before I start to babel to much basically I'm looking to see if my Dell Dimension B110 can handle this and I also need help convincing my parents to get this for me for Christmas I think its an excellent excellent deal but because of the huge price tag I'll need a hell of a good argument to convince my parents.

P.S. I already have an ummm pirate copy of photoshop 7  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:16 pm
i dont know how much ram you have in your computer, but a google search led me to think that the b110 has comes with 256 ram.... that will not cut it for serious computer graphics work.  

KowPatty

Esper The Phantom Beast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:24 pm
no I have 512 mb of ram

Here are some specs I found for my compy, I don't know what any of it really means though

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
Processor Speed 2.47 GHz
Memory (RAM) 512 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

will that help you see if it can handle it?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:48 am
I ran Maya (4.5), and PS (5.5) at the same time with a tablet on a computer that's nearly 10 years old. (My software is older, but gets the job done.)

It might help to ask on a forum like cg talk where people are very much into the computers that they use.

I'm not at home so I can't give you my specs at the moment. You should be fine. Just look at the minimum requirements on the box. (Are you running Vista? If you are, turn off the effects. Vista is EXTREMELY resource heavy and the bane of anyone that needs the resources to do actual work on the computer.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Esper The Phantom Beast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:13 am
razz I don't even know what vista is let alone use it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 am
Your comp will be more than enough. I had Photoshop with a tablet on a Celeron 608MHz with 128MB RAM. XD  

Mogtoats

Esper The Phantom Beast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:31 pm
thats good to hear! Thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:26 am
>___>
I dont think you need a 6x8 tablet...
I have a 4x5/4x6(cant remember;__ wink And it works just fine.
And they're cheaper.

But that's up to you I suppose. 3nodding  

Yuri Mono

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:53 pm
Yuri Mono
>___>
I dont think you need a 6x8 tablet...
I have a 4x5/4x6(cant remember;__ wink And it works just fine.
And they're cheaper.

But that's up to you I suppose. 3nodding
People tend to go overboard and get things they won't really utilize. It comes from being inexperienced and excited.

It would be best to save the money and put it to use towards books and such, but hey, you can't stop people. (Trust me, I know. I overdo it all the time when it comes to certain technologies.)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:00 pm
hee hee sorry LOL I can't help it ok how about one of those new bamboo fun tablets those are cheap but would it work the way i want it too?  

Esper The Phantom Beast

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:18 pm
Vista is Microsoft's newest operating system ;P

You really don't need Vista, at least essentially not yet.
Your specs will do the trick. No sweat. n_n
[not gonna get into Vista's specs since I'm an Information Systems Engineering student. ;d]

And about your tablet size, I guess that depends on your strokes.
I bought a Wacom Intuos 3 - 9x12.
I don't think I can handle anything smaller than that T______________T;
Not to mention that I've seen great artists do wonders with 6x8 ones or even less ;D

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games