Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A Collection of Understanding Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:57 pm
Styles of Understanding Deity

Agnosticism:
Hard- The belief that it is impossible for any to know the existence or nature of deity.
Soft- The belief that the given individual does not know the existence or nature of deity.

Antitheism:
An opposition to belief in deity.

Atheism:
Hard- The belief that there is no deity.
Soft- The absence of belief in deity.

Deism:
The belief that the nature of deity is expressed through personal experience, not theological tradition.

Ditheism:
A belief in two deities that are not considered opposite in the context of "good" and "evil".

Dualism:
The belief that there are polar deity expressions within the context of “good” and “evil”.

Dystheism:
The belief that deities are either not wholly good or in some cases are evil. (See Also Misotheism)

Eutheism:
The belief that deity is wholly good and benevolent. (In contrast to Dystheism)

Henotheism:
The worship of one deity, while accepting the existence of other deities as being worthy of worship. The belief that there are many deities, but there is a single overarching deity who generated or rules the others.
(See also Monolatrism and Kathenotheism)

Ignosticism:
A non-theistic belief that states that theological concepts fall short of applicable meaning and being non-falsifiable, cannot attain accurate communication on the subject of deity. (See also Theological Noncognitivism)

Kathenotheism:
The belief that there are multiple deities, but that they are only to be worshipped one at a time.

Maltheism:
The belief that purported "evils" carried out by deities makes them unfit for worship.

Misotheism:
The hatred of deity: often argues that one can harm or hurt deity by disbelief. (See also: Maltheism)

Modalism:
The belief that there is only one God and it manifests itself in three different "modes".

Monism:
The belief that all is one.
Absolute Monism- The belief that only the mental is real.
Anomalous Monism- The belief that while only the physical is real, all mental expressions are related to the physical and thus valid.
Attributive Monism- The belief that there is only one kind of thing, there are many different groupings within the single thing.
Eliminativism- The belief that the mental will eventually be discarded due to being proved inaccurate.
Functionalism- The belief that the mental can ultimately be reduced to the physical.
Neutral Monism- The belief that both physical and mental substance can be broken down into a third grouping uniting Physically based and Mentally based Monism.
Physicalism- The belief that only the physical is real. (Also known as Materialism)
Substantial Monism- The belief in only one substance.
Reflexive Monism- The belief that the physical as perceived becomes one with the mental substance.

Monolatrism:
The belief that while there are many deities, but only one is deserving of worship.

Monotheism:
The belief that there is only one deity.

Nontheism:
Any of a group of beliefs that are characterized as being without or independent of deity.

Pandeism:
The belief that deity existed independently from the universe and created the universe in a fashion that the universe is now the complete expression of deity.

Panentheism:
The belief that deity is greater than the universe, while the universe is contained within deity.

Pantheism:
The belief that the universe is deity.

Polytheism:
The belief that there are multiple deities.
Hard- All deities are unique individuals unto themselves.
Soft- All deities are facets of different aspects of divinity.
Monistic- All deities emanated from a single source and share this divine essence.

Social Trinitarianism:
The belief that the unity of the Christian god as Father, Son and Holy Ghost is not one of substance but is social in nature.

Theism:
The belief in an immanent, yet transcendent concept of deity.

Theological Noncognitivism:
The belief that language is unable to provide meaningful discussion on the nature of deity.

Transcendence:
The belief that deity is beyond the universe.

Tritheism:
The belief that Father, Son and Holy Ghost are distinct Gods.

Trinitarianism:
The belief that God consists of three Persons in one substance.

Theology:
Natural- The belief that it is possible to find evidence of deity and it’s nature through means that do not rely on supernatural revelation.
Mystical- The belief that the soul cannot achieve place through human means nor Divine Grace alone.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:58 pm
~Reserved~  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:59 pm
~Reserved~  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:00 pm
~And one more oughtta do it!~

With that- this is open for people to discuss and chat about personal understandings.

I'll be adding more information as we go along.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:32 pm
*ponders* Well, I tend to make wishes and thank the universe for giving me exactly what I asked for, and teaching me to be more specific, because that wasn't quite what I wanted..

I guess that sort of makes me pantheistic, but I'm also of the opinion that it isn't improbable that there are individual gods out there.

I blame Loki for that one. Or, something that struck me as him, anyway. Hehe, literally. I was working on some diagram on a big piece of paper which I'd splayed out (I believe the phrase is) on the floor, and was lying next to/on top of it, working, when I got the impression that someone was sitting on my lower back and smacked my bum.

I turned around and I'm not sure if I really saw someone there, or if I just got the impression of a presence.. *ponders* It was kind of weird, and I'm not a hundred percent certain I didn't just made it up, but that then begs the question why I came up with a guy who smacked my bum.

I didn't think I was all that deprived at the time, hehe..

Oh, I also briefly held the 'all gods are a facet of one (thing)' theory, but had to discard it because it just didn't sit well with me.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:38 pm
Perhaps a style of Polytheistic Pantheism?  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm
TeaDidikai

Definitely a possibility. 3nodding I suppose it's also not entirely improbable that I just haven't figured out which deity I'm addressing as the universe yet. And there's also the other direction, in which I'll end up being the universe making the changes, but I really wouldn't know what to call that, then.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 pm
Maze
TeaDidikai

Definitely a possibility. 3nodding I suppose it's also not entirely improbable that I just haven't figured out which deity I'm addressing as the universe yet. And there's also the other direction, in which I'll end up being the universe making the changes, but I really wouldn't know what to call that, then.
Read through the Monism section again.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:48 pm
What an awesome word buffet! I'm always pleased to run into the words I've never heard before. Like Kathenotheism. That's a new one.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm
TatteredAngel
What an awesome word buffet! I'm always pleased to run into the words I've never heard before. Like Kathenotheism. That's a new one.

"You! Hermes! Wait your TURN!"  

maenad nuri
Captain

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm
I've cycled through a lot of these lately, just in trying to come up with possibilities that made sense to me. I'm kind of at a standstill right now, but it's a much more comfortable one than where I was just a few months ago. At this point I'm leaning towards either soft or monistic polytheism - the more I think about it, the more I lean a little bit more towards the latter.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:25 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
At this point I'm leaning towards either soft or monistic polytheism - the more I think about it, the more I lean a little bit more towards the latter.
Emanation mythos is very common. I think it is even more common in modern pagan faiths than it was when before Christendom existed if not for the same reasons-

I think now people who worship European deities and have an idea of scientific theory and the Big Bang are more into it.

I'm not sure I can really consider myself a Monistic Polytheist- even though I have an emanation mythos. I need to do more research.  

TeaDidikai

Elizabeth Tarion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 pm
LOL, Nuri blaugh

Does (some) pop-Wicca have a soft kathenotheistic system? I was reading one of Penczak's books and his Wheel of the Year - the God and Goddess change form (archetypes) while going along the wheel and each is honored in turn with a holiday or celebration, similarly with moon phase celebrations of the Goddess and her forms.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:49 am
TeaDidikai
Read through the Monism section again.

I must admit I skimmed that part. ninja *eyes the list* Hm, I'll probably need a bit more time to look at them, considering my bus leaves in a couple of minutes, but if nothing else, it gives me something more to think about.  

Maze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:41 am
MoreSpareParts
LOL, Nuri blaugh

Does (some) pop-Wicca have a soft kathenotheistic system? I was reading one of Penczak's books and his Wheel of the Year - the God and Goddess change form (archetypes) while going along the wheel and each is honored in turn with a holiday or celebration, similarly with moon phase celebrations of the Goddess and her forms.
Not sure there is such a thing as Soft Kathenotheism.

I think it would be closer to Soft Polytheism (though, one could debate that aspects of a self are still in the self) and thus make a better argument for Ditheism.

I've heard lineaged Wiccans suggest that Soft Polytheism may be a valid understanding- but I tend to look at it sideways as it directly contradicts some things that Gardner said himself.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff