Reply Music - Related Topics
Help! I don't know where to start.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 pm
I've always wanted to start a band, it's kind of been a big dream of mine. Now I feel I'm in a place where I can devote my time to it, the only problem is: I don't know where to start.

I was wondering if any of you who are already in a band or have friends in bands could help me in my endeavor.

Right now I know:
I want a punk-goth type of band.
I need a practice space because my house is too small
I need band members

Aside from that I have no idea how about doing these things or what else I'm going to need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:46 pm
Practice space ask at local music venues, you'll find they often rent out rooms during the day for practices and such. As for members just post some flyer's and give a time and date for auditions.  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 pm
Okay, by punk-goth do you mean post-punk or deathrock?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:58 am
I think he actually means horror punk like the Misfits.  

Rellik San
Crew

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:45 pm
Rellik San
Yes, something to that effect. I just didn't know the proper name. Although I kind of want to do something more innovative. I want to do something fresh using my two favourite genres.

I know how I can find practice spaces and band members but I need help in finding out what order I should do these things. Mainly because I have no place and no equipment.
Should I provide equipment or should I ask that my band provide their own?
And it seems silly to ask for a place to practice with no band, but the same time how will I audition without any space?

By the way I'm a chick. I just have a male avatar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:16 pm
Laharl Part Dux
Rellik San
Yes, something to that effect. I just didn't know the proper name. Although I kind of want to do something more innovative. I want to do something fresh using my two favourite genres.

I know how I can find practice spaces and band members but I need help in finding out what order I should do these things. Mainly because I have no place and no equipment.
And it seems silly to ask for a place to practice with no band, but the same time how will I audition without any space?

Oh ok. Well anyway, as far as it goes, the only instrument you should provide is a drum kit, which you can rent. You should provide that, because there is no sense in someone dragging a full drum set to a 5-10 minute audition. Also provide amps. As for guitars and bass, people can bring their own, they are easy enough to transport.

What you should do is wait to generate interest, then hire a room on a one off thing for auditions, only worry about a permanent practice space if and when you find people to be in the actual band with you.  

Rellik San
Crew

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Rellik San
Laharl Part Dux
Rellik San

Oh ok. Well anyway, as far as it goes, the only instrument you should provide is a drum kit, which you can rent. You should provide that, because there is no sense in someone dragging a full drum set to a 5-10 minute audition. Also provide amps. As for guitars and bass, people can bring their own, they are easy enough to transport.

What you should do is wait to generate interest, then hire a room on a one off thing for auditions, only worry about a permanent practice space if and when you find people to be in the actual band with you.
You know what, that's very helpful. Thanks.
I love asking other people they always think of what my scatterbrained self can't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:07 am
What are your influences?  

alice from weirdland

xdemonicallyxyours13x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:52 am
SO IN CONCLUSION THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

i) Band members: make flyers that include your musical influences, what you play, what you are looking for in a music genre. Post these in second hand music shops and on phone poles (alot of people go into them and if they seem interested they will call). Oh yeah tres importante : don't forget yer number.
ii) Practice venues: if you get a band together ask them if they have a venue before you go and spend the money to rent a place. its easier and if in doubt (or no luck) just pool your money together with your band mates (after you get to know them ofcourse and they don't just think yer milkin them for money).
iii) Musical Direction and Genre: Its a group decision  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:19 pm
Go to places, like CD Warehouse, and post fliers saying your phone number and who you need in your band. Ask employees to help send them out to people, sooner or later, you'll get your band.  

ObsessionIsSuchAnUglyWord

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff