Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
exploitation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boadicia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:52 pm
I have seen way too many commercials regarding some new tv show called America's Psychic Challenge or something along those lines. I suppose it's a testament to the evolution of human society that a show like that can be put on tv nowadays, but I feel that the show may be exploitative. Do things like this make legitimate psychics easier to accept, or does it make them look ridiculous?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Boadicia
Do things like this make legitimate psychics easier to accept, or does it make them look ridiculous?
100% Within the eyes of the beholder.

Anyone who is interested in this as evidence to support what they already believe will use it as such.

Hard Skeptics will dismiss any evidence as proof that people will believe anything if it has enough media presence- and that it is far too easy to fake.  

TeaDidikai

RedRoseSpiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm
I haven't heard about it but I bet my mom has. I probably won't watch it except in passing. Not because it's about psychics or exploiting them or whatever but because I have no love for reality TV. I see all shows like this as exploitation. I'd rather watch a show on psychics on the Discovery Channel, Science Channel, or History Channel. That way there's a better chance of what is being shown is real and isn't all about the TV station's profit margins.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:38 pm
I'd watch it if I had cable.....which I don't. I'm kinda in the middle when it comes to beliving stuff on tv. On one hand I do believe what the show is about....on the other, people do make stuff up for tv. Kinda like with shows about ghosts. I believe in them but tv shows about them can be faked for ratings.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:53 pm
I think that when presented on tv alongside shows like Criss Angel Mindfreak, wherein he admits that none of his 'supernatural' tricks are real - it could end up causing psychics to be lumped in with illusionists. I am not familiar with the show in question, but if they want to be taken seriously they will need to be very careful about how they present their information.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 pm
I was watching that show the other day. To me, it looks like nothing more than the bullshit cold-reading tactics that John Edwards uses, keeping everything vague when doing a reading for somebody: "Money problems", "health concerns", "a great loss" etc...stuff almost everybody goes through at some point in their lives. At best, they'd hit one random thing on the nose when doing a reading, but it's usually of the likes of "You got your hair done recently" or "You've very passionate about music."

I don't know. From what I saw, it wasn't anything remarkable, just a lot of showy gestures and facial expressions, and guessing.  

queertastrophy

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff