Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Yuri's Sketches/WIPs - { update 20NOV } Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

<3
View Results

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 pm
Hello, hello!!

Hi. My name is Sarah, Yuri, or if you dont like any of those, Evil Bunny. I'm 19 years old, and I'm currently attending The Ohio State University for Digital Art-ness. Not totally decided yet, but i'm excited. *ahem*
I'm a girl... >__>
I'm not going to go into personal likes and dislikes here, for your benefit... heh...yea anyways.
--I started my first studio class!!! And I absolutely hate it!!! We're only drawing still lifes... and it's sooooooo boring..... sigh. but anyways...

I first started drawing:
Well, I cant remember. My whole life I suppose. But I really started to get into it in 7th grade, though, i'm sure I did some stuff in elementary school. I did some realism in Middle school and High school, but my forte was in the Japanese style commonly known as Anime, or manga, whichever you prefer. I took art classes in High School, including Intro to art (it was required... =.= ) Painting, drawing, photography, cartooning...and I think that's about it...
I drew mostly on my own, and for fun though. Most of them were morbid, i.e. people holding shrunken heads, little girls in mary janes, and holding a huge battle axe behind their backs, people hanging themselves, etc. (ah high school. x___x)
My current art selection can be found on my Deviant art, if you are so inclined to look.

My current issues:
Well, as most artists, I tend to hate all my work. Seeing as I drew it, and could point out all the defects to you in a heartbeat... But my most disliked things about the art that I draw would have to be:
arrow Hands
arrow Feet
arrow 3/4 view of the head (I can never get the facial features at the right angle)
arrow Getting the eyes to look even

My current strengths:
...I personally dont think I have any... Buuutt...I'm decent at:
arrow Hair
arrow Torso
arrow Profile of the face.

What I'm looking for in this thread:
Is probably what everybody else is looking for. Damn good advice. Just kidding... kinda. But I would love your input, and give me hints/really good tutorials on how the heck to draw hands. @_@
Dont butter me up either. Give it to me straight. wink

Thanks!

I think that's about it. If you think I've forgotten anything, or you would like me to post something else, dont hesitate to PM me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 pm
User Image

Picture #1.
(i'm on the right, jessie {my bff} is on the left. I shall refer to them as such.)

What I like:
arrow Jessie's hands, eyes, boots, fan, tattoo
arrow My face, boots, hair, breasts redface

What I dont like:
arrow Everything else...especialy my hands.

Constructive Criticism please, any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!  

Yuri Mono

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:21 am
Okay, anotherone, No one seemed to like the one previous enough to post on it.. heh.... anyways.
User Image
This one is suposed to be a RL pictuar... And i'm just gonna let you guys critique it... and tell me how to do better. Such as the eyes. I'd really love a draw over of the eyes.... @_@
Ignore his hand. I know it's retarted looking... >__>

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:14 am
Your font color is a weapon of mass destruction on my eyes. gonk

User Image

My redline isn't to say that you did it wrong. Keep that in mind. Anyway, you have some pretty consistent proportion issues across the board. I think that can be fixed simply by pinning down the proportions a bit before you start your lineart. Your heads start of really big and everything gets smaller as you move down to bodies. I'll talk about stopping that in a bit.

Your dog is cute, and besides the huge head, it's alright. I think there are things that will help though. First, if he's looking in the direction of who is playing with him, I would have him make eye contact in some way. Same for the guy. You look at what you're interacting with. Lower his focus to where his hands are. You can also have him focused on the dogs face, which shows people he's focusing on the dog's enjoyment. But have him look at what he's focusing on regardless of what he's doing.

If you have the dog laying flat down, then thats good too. But have the spine show what he's doing. I showed it by curving it up since he's kind of reaching up. Also, with animals, the ears are important to show how they feel. Here, I chose and alert, forward trust of the ears. I also showed a flattened ear. It makes a difference.

User Image

I already mentioned that his head is too big. Well, his arms are also too long. And he's much too skinny. A man's shoulders are about 2 1/2 to 3 times the width of his head. Widen the shoulders. In my redline, I had him bending over more to make sure the hands still reach the dog. In the corner is a little example of what I do to keep things from being too flat. See how you can see what direction the body parts are going in?

User Image

Once again, things start off big and end too small. Doing this can help that. When you draw in a little skeleton (nice and light) you can make sure the parts stay consistent. You can just erase the light lines before you start to detail.

User Image

I think this one has amazing design potential. I love that push and thrust created in the space between them and the overall shape they make together. Also, their poses are dynamic and interesting. This shows me you have a great potential as an artist because you're showing innate design smarts.

You really have to work on proportions though. There are plenty of charts and tutorials out there, but you'll learn the most from looking at real people and sketching little sketches of what they're doing. You can also work from photos when you can't get out to draw people.

Your bodies are very skinny and flat. Try and work like the little example of the guy in the corner with the dog. (The guy with tubes.) If you do something light like that with the skeleton, it will help you remember to make sure they look like they take up space.

I think you're doing a good job so far. I look forward to seeing more.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:46 pm
mrgreen
Thanks a lot for posting all that.
Now I know one of the reasons for why my drawings look so weird sometimes.. o__0;;

Proportions.... >__< And after reading that the people get smaller as I draw them, I realized that that's what I do when I write. ....not relevant. but anyways.

Thanks a lot for the red-lining. It's helped me a lot 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:59 am
Anytime. 3nodding

One thing that will help you keep your bodies from being flat is taking some time to get familiar with the body from the inside out. The skeleton has a certain amount of volume. The muscles and fat around that. Also, there has to be room for organs. When you have time, go to the bookstore and look for Anatomy for Artists by Sarah Simblet. There are great diagrams of men and women that show everything. (Definitely one to buy, but I know some of us can't. It's not expensive, but there are parents that get all buttsore about nudity.) So you know what it looks like

They have a diagram that shows you just how much guts we're stuffed with. Seeing that really did a lot to help me keep volume in mind.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

I agree with Errol. You're poses are to die for! I wish I could come up with such pin up sexy curve-a-licious poses! As Errol said, that's a super great foundation to start from.

I can't wait to see more from you! I know with the guild's help and maybe some tutorials/anatomy books, your art is going to be so rocking! Once you get more anatomy down, I'm going to be so much more fricken jealous! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:05 pm
My dear, you have excellent potential with your artwork. What makes it art is that it is never perfect, and there is always room for improvement. Your anatomy is right on track, as long as you keep at it and practice.

Hands are especially difficult to master because of not only perspective, but the fact that there are so many digits and joints and a very prominent bone structure in the palm of a hand. It has taken me -years- to master hands, and even now I am not perfect in it. I am currently working on a helpful tutorial for hands AND feet for this purpose. I'd suggest looking up actual medical anatomy websites and such and study the muscle structure of a human figure. After I did that, everything else came so much easier for me. It's also good to study reflexes, adduction (the direction of muscle contraction), and abduction (the direction of muscle relaxation).

Your style is quite developed, but as you progress in strengthening your weaknesses and balancing your strengths, it will develop more. Just keep on practicing, that is very important. Also, I suggest art surfing. It's good to look at other people's styles and study how they create their works, you can pick up alot of useful tips and tricks from doing that, as I have found out. I especially like to do this when I have a really bad artist's block, because I can pull inspiration from the images before my eyes and spark ideas from there. At this very point in time I am working on the concept of my next painting, and at the moment, I'm in transition between a sea of ideas. Remember to keep your mind open and your pencil at the ready n_n;

Xyirii

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 pm
@ Errol- Thanks for the book suggestion. And no worries about parents. No longer live with them 3nodding thank god.

@ Teh Prurient- redface Thank you! But allow me regain my modesty, and say that it took me quite a while to come up with those poses...

@ Xyirii- Thanks for the hand tip. 3nodding And I'll be sure to keep an open mind. I've been working on that for quite a while now, and thanks to that, I believe, my poses are not so stiff anymore. 3nodding

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:58 pm
User Image

if the picture doesnt show up, I have it posted on my DevArt
Here's a piece I worked on today. I think I spent altogether 7 hours? give or take.

Done completely with my tablet and PS7.

shrug. First time doing this style. (Dark BG colour, and then layering on the colours to create a night-time look)

You know what to do. wink  

Yuri Mono

`Famire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 pm
Oh, nice! It's got a very convincing night-time look to it.

The nose looks a bit odd to me, I think you could define it more sharply on the bottom and perhaps give her some nostrils. I also think you should generally put more hard/soft shadow contrasts into your shading - it looks kind of like you're blending EVERY shadow.

The eyes seem a bit too bright for the night-time colouring. If they're glowing, I think you could have a glow around them and light reflecting off her hair, skin etc.

Um, also I think the hair isn't shaded darkly enough. Actually it kind of looks like you spent lots of time on the skin then rushed through everything else pretty quickly.

The lineart could be cleaner, too, or at least thinner, for a more realistic look.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:36 pm
Ooooo. Perdy.

I have to agree that the skin was shaded to match the nighttime, but everything else is too pale in contrast to the skin. Personally, I like the thicker lines because it gives the image a little extra dimension. Realistic isn't always the way to go 8D Also, the eyes do look like they are supposed to glow, and if so, there needs to be red reflections off of the hair and a little on the skin to give the impression that they are indeed glowing. You may want to darken the background too, just because of how dark you shaded the skin. The current lighting gives off more the impression of twilight than night.

One last suggestion: the lips could be darker, and shaded with a little bit of the same blue you used elsewhere. The upper lip needs to be darker than the bottom lip to show where the light hits and where it doesn't, and if you want, you could add some white or pale highlights just where the moonlight shines most to add that extra edge.

No need to worry over the things I say..I just make suggestions alot. XD

But, anywho...I still love it for what it is. <3

Xyirii

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 am
Ah. Perhaps I should explain it a bit more? Yes it's at night, but there is also moonlight, which would explain the random silverish hilights.

And her eyes aren't exactly glowing... they're just... really bright?
I saw it done on some pictures, and I fell in love with it. Like two bright jewels in a sea of dreary greys and dark colours.
that being said.
@ `Famire- eek I totally forgot the nostrils... even though it's more anime than realism.. >_>;;; oops. And yea, I prolly could have done some more ambient lighting....I'm always forgetting stuff like that. And the hair...yea, I rushed through it... sweatdrop

@ Xyirii- Ah lips.. @.@ Those're something I have to work on. And I know I still have a ways to go with this aspect of painting.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:46 pm
User Image

In that case I think you could have her eyes glowing less...red red? I mean, if you made them a bit less bright, a tiny bit more of a purplish shade, they'd still stand out but they wouldn't be quite so...radioactive. :3  

`Famire

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:42 pm
heehee... radioactive.

Point taken.

3nodding

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers