Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Ewwwww- Gross! (The nastier side of spells and paganism) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm
So the bulk of neo-paganism shudders at the idea of dealing with animal sacrifices, urine and other gross things.

And ya know- I don't blame them. I'll take any chance I can to avoid it myself.

However- it can be a point of curiosity. So while I do not recommend the following, let's jot down some of the spells, practices and traditions that might be gross and or dangerous.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 pm
1.A little something from hoodo and trad witchcraft, amongst other things: Putting menstrual blood in the food of a man. A love spell.
I have and would never do such a thing, but biology says it is likely to work.

2.Witch bottles- 'eww blood and urine', heck, they work.

3.Scrying with blood- the name of the practice escapes me. Unless I could find a doctor or some other trained person to take blood from me properly (needs a fair bit of blood) I would never do this.

4. cornish witchcraft- Not something Im very familiar with, but I believe cornish witches used to put dead cats in walls or under floorboards to repel rats.

5. The toad ritual, which name escapes me again. I'll try and find more info.  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 pm
patch99329
1.A little something from hoodo and trad witchcraft, amongst other things: Putting menstrual blood in the food of a man. A love spell.
I have and would never do such a thing, but biology says it is likely to work.
Buckland tried to pass this off as Rroma tradition as well.

I couldn't stop laughing. It would be a total violation of the purity laws!

Quote:

3.Scrying with blood- the name of the practice escapes me. Unless I could find a doctor or some other trained person to take blood from me properly (needs a fair bit of blood) I would never do this.
Hematomancy.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm
I recall a hoodoo spell involving a beef heart. Forgive me, it's been quite a long while since I read Mules and Men. I believe it was a revenge ritual of some type. It involved cutting the heart open, placing something inside, then pinning it shut. the thing eneded up either buried near the target's house, or placed on the porch, I think. That struck me as a bit gross. There's something similar involving a beef tongue to chase off a romantic rival in Ray Malbrough's Charms, Spells and Formulas. It involves splitting the tongue, putting in the name of the rival on paper, then closing the split with pins. the tongue is then roasted, the pins removed, and the resulting meat given to the lover to eat. I'm none too fond of organ meats, so I found this to be slightly gross.

Then, there was the gruesome method of obtaining the black cat bone, which involved boiling the poor cat alive, then passing each bone through one's mouth until one tasted sour. This was also in Mules and Men, and I remember it well. cry  

Hybrid Jewel

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:40 pm
I've read that menstral blood as a sacrafise to Artemis. A bull to Zeus or Posidon. Of course, the classic witch's bottle. Um. Alot of spells I've read in my book The Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells deal with blood, urine or menstral blood, thoughs are mostly just there for historical reasons.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:17 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Alot of spells I've read in my book The Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells deal with blood, urine or menstral blood, thoughs are mostly just there for historical reasons.
A conversation with Patch about that book inspired this thread. mrgreen  

TeaDidikai

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:40 pm
I'm not sure of the origin, but there's another spell involving a beef tongue to silence a liar. You write the intended target's name on a piece of paper, cut a slit down the middle of the tongue and insert the paper, roll up the tongue, and insert seven nails, seven needles, and seven pins. Each time you place one of the "poky things" in the tongue, say "[name of person] cannot lie".

After this, you're supposed to wrap the tongue in red cloth, and leave it in the woods with seven pennies.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:54 pm
Hybrid Jewel

Then, there was the gruesome method of obtaining the black cat bone, which involved boiling the poor cat alive, then passing each bone through one's mouth until one tasted sour. This was also in Mules and Men, and I remember it well. cry

Similar to the toad ritual I mentoned above. Boil the poor creature live.  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:45 am
How "messy" do people consider animal sacrifice?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:53 am
TeaDidikai
How "messy" do people consider animal sacrifice?

Impractically messy.
I suppose if you were outside it wouldn't be as bad.

I watched a sacrifice on t.v of a sheep (somewhere in eastern europe, their religion escapes me) and there was blood everywhere! It must be hell to clean up xp  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 am
patch99329

Impractically messy.
One kind of person would bring an animal inside to be slaughtered? eek

Quote:
I watched a sacrifice on t.v of a sheep (somewhere in eastern europe, their religion escapes me) and there was blood everywhere! It must be hell to clean up xp
Larger livestock can be difficult. Chicken's aren't so bad as long as you tie them up by their feet.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:16 am
TeaDidikai
patch99329

Impractically messy.
One kind of person would bring an animal inside to be slaughtered? eek

Heh, I didn't mean in the home or anything xD
A designated temple perhaps?  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:06 am
patch99329

Heh, I didn't mean in the home or anything xD
A designated temple perhaps?
Ah. Not something too common anymore.

Quality temples are so hard to find!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Alot of spells I've read in my book The Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells deal with blood, urine or menstral blood, thoughs are mostly just there for historical reasons.
A conversation with Patch about that book inspired this thread. mrgreen
*giggles* I don't find that in the least surpising Good book.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
*giggles* I don't find that in the least surpising Good book.
I like it. I always enjoy in looking into other people's concept of magic.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff