Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The L Guild Forum
Could it have been better this way? (Contains Spoilers)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 am
I started thinking about this the other day and depressed myself a little. Theories, comments, criticisms are welcome.

In the manga, as L dies,Light gives him the "evil grin." Then you see L's thoughts as he's dying and he says that smile proves that Light is Kira. He dies knowing that he was right about the whole Light Yagami is Kira theory.
Then in the anime, he falls, Light catches him, and while Light is smiling and L dies, you can see L's thoughts in his head. These thoughts are pictures of kids and stained glass windows. He didn't see the smile and didn't know...

At first that made me pretty mad, since he died without really knowing for sure who Kira was and that was, after all, what he died for.
But I started thinking...what if he was happier not knowing it was Light? He said himself that Light was the only friend he'd ever had. If he knew that Light was Kira, he would have died alone. If he died without seeing the smile, then he wouldn't know Light gave him over to die and he would have died in the arms of a friend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:48 pm
I'm not sure if he would have been happier not knowing it was Light. Because it was his life-long job to bring criminals to justice, and this was the one he couldn't, so I would think that for him to know he was at least on the right track and didn't die trying to catch someone who wasn't Kira, well, that would have made him a slightest bit accepting of his death like in the manga. (Wow, long sentences are long.)  

L Lawliet

Mind-boggling Detective

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:25 pm
L Lawliet
I'm not sure if he would have been happier not knowing it was Light. Because it was his life-long job to bring criminals to justice, and this was the one he couldn't, so I would think that for him to know he was at least on the right track and didn't die trying to catch someone who wasn't Kira, well, that would have made him a slightest bit accepting of his death like in the manga. (Wow, long sentences are long.)

Well, that was my reasoning at first. I just think it would be a heavy thing to know that your only friend orchestrated your demise.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 pm
I think he had conflict at the end about suspecting his best friend again and capturing Kira. It was a hard descision to make for him, and then Light had Rem take action before L could take action himself. I think his anxiety towards the end was about how he didn't want to suspect Light. So maybe he knew anyway.  

SCP-511

Koishii X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:37 pm
Persistence_of_Memory
I started thinking about this the other day and depressed myself a little. Theories, comments, criticisms are welcome.

In the manga, as L dies,Light gives him the "evil grin." Then you see L's thoughts as he's dying and he says that smile proves that Light is Kira. He dies knowing that he was right about the whole Light Yagami is Kira theory.
Then in the anime, he falls, Light catches him, and while Light is smiling and L dies, you can see L's thoughts in his head. These thoughts are pictures of kids and stained glass windows. He didn't see the smile and didn't know...

At first that made me pretty mad, since he died without really knowing for sure who Kira was and that was, after all, what he died for.
But I started thinking...what if he was happier not knowing it was Light? He said himself that Light was the only friend he'd ever had. If he knew that Light was Kira, he would have died alone. If he died without seeing the smile, then he wouldn't know Light gave him over to die and he would have died in the arms of a friend.

Well maybe he only said that to Light because it was part of his plan to keep Light close to him to investigate on him? he needed to gain Light's "trust" so he had to say things like that. L would still suspect Light as being Kira even if Light didn't grin.

Funny how L never sleeps or is put to rest. After he died, you could see his picture in the air watching over the investigation. He couldn't believe Near and Mello were picked for his successors.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:38 pm
`Sharingan Koishii

Well maybe he only said that to Light because it was part of his plan to keep Light close to him to investigate on him? he needed to gain Light's "trust" so he had to say things like that. L would still suspect Light as being Kira even if Light didn't grin.

Funny how L never sleeps or is put to rest. After he died, you could see his picture in the air watching over the investigation. He couldn't believe Near and Mello were picked for his successors.

I kinda suspected that too... But I really have no idea whether he meant it or not. And he did suspect Light of being Kira. The smile just confirms it. -shrug-
He thinks "So I...I wasn't wrong...but I..."

And they mention him sleeping once. It's Matsuda and the other guy whose name escapes me. One asks the other if they've ever seen Ryuzaki sleep and the other says that he did once. He was that same sitting position. They actually have a clip from the anime of his grave site. It wasn't subbed when I saw it, so I only have half an idea what happened.
Why shouldn't Mello and Near have been picked?

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The L Guild Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items