Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Vena -- Open Redline/Critique Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:23 am
User Image

This is an open redline and critique thread. Anyone can post ... Read below! vv

How to get a Critiqueing/Redlining

Post an image in this thread! Please don't give me a bunch of images or a whole gallery at once, let's work on one image at a time. My best work always comes from reviewing and reassessing my work while it is in progress - I can only encourage multiple drafts =) But still - just one at a time!

example of a redline:
User Image

About Vena

General:
I'm currently an animation student at the Emily Carr University in Vancouver, BC, Canada. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work but definitely what I love to do. =) My love of art spans across a lot of media and I have some experience painting in oil, acrylic and watercolors and drawing with conte/charcoal and ink.

Education:

Previous: I took continuing studies courses at HKU Space in Hong Kong, and at Emily Carr before becoming a full time student there. I have taken mostly drawing and life drawing courses, as well as painting.
Current: 2nd Year Animation student at Emily Carr University.
Art Site TheCrux
Time Zone: Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -8 hours
Times I'm Online: Usually a little bit in the morning, but mostly after 5 my time for the majority of the evening.
msn: jasper_tear@hotmail.com

What I Have to Offer!

I love, love, LOVE to draw people. I've taken a few life drawing classes, and the subjects of my drawings are almost always focused on a person or people. I also have some groovy anatomy books at my disposal for reference.

I can help with painting/drawing media related problems.

I can help with some animation problems.

Stuff I can help critique:

- anatomy/structure
- composition
- shading/contrast
- animal structure

Other stuff:
Favorite artists: Egon Scheile, Gustav Klimpt, H.R. Giger, Ashley Wood, Ron Mueck, many more =D

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:01 am
Challenges:

Challenges to get you going if you need something to start on.

Warm vs Cool Color Challenge

This is a two part assignment.

PART 1

Sketch a landscape, scene , or figure from observation. Do not worry about detail of the objects/scene. Make sure you have a strong lightsource and cast shadows. On your image, make note/sketch where the shadows are. Take a picture of your scene if you are afraid you will forget it!

PART 2

Choose ONE color that you will paint your scene with. You may use black, white to mix your color with, as well as two colors that will weight the warmth/coolness of your color, but not on their own. Ex. If you choose green, you may mix with yellow or blue to change the green- but you cannot have blue or yellow on their own!

Complimentary Color Scheme Challenge

Finished Products:

nighsongbyrd

Tiger-of-snow
Syrella

Use a mirror (not a picture!!) to draw your face. Only use either GRAYSCALE or COMPLIMENTARY COLOR (adding B&W to make tone and shade).

A complimentary color set are colors that are at the opposite of the color wheel from each other. They are:

Violet and Yellow
Orange and Blue
Green and Red

You can use black and white to make other tones and values, and of course you can mix the colors together. Try to make as many values as you can!

If you do it on the computer, try mixing the colors yourself by lowering the opacity.

Here are some of my own examples : Blue and Orange

This one is similar but it uses a discord color scheme. Discord  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Solus_Nyxx

Beloved Genius

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:23 pm
Fond noon- (according to GAIA time)
I'm almost always online - (Because I have an i-book with me) So I don't think it matters too much-

rofl Ah, And I desperately need guides with colors-
I mess it up., all the time-
People tell me I suck at anatomy, coloring and perspective...
Pretty much everything that makes up a good drawing. *rofl*
My Deviantart

Those are my poor excuse for drawings,
I don't have much of originality in me-
I NEED to learn how to mix and match my own colors!! HELP !?!

I'd be a good mentee... I swear!?- :3nod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:22 pm
Hi! Nice to meet you =D First thing.. dont say your stuff is a poor excuse for art! Be proud of your stuff. But yeah, welcome to my thread! XD Post your new stuff or whatever you are working on =)  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Solus_Nyxx

Beloved Genius

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:25 am
ahm-
All righty then.. it's a WIP...but here.. -

User Image

I didn't finish the bird he's crushing into oblivion-
Because I was messing it up...
Err...and sorry 'bout that.. xd I'll never say it again-

He's about 16- wearing a sort of poets' blouse or something... xd

You can just call me kris btw... and I'd...call you Vena.. if it's fine with you..-~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:08 pm
Hey Kris =D Hehe kinda cool, my name is kristen =P

Soo with your picture I think the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have a really good focus on his face, but the rest of the picture gets a little lost to me. I didnt realize that he was crushing a bird until I read what you wrote... the bird is very undefined right now. If he is crushing the whole bird I would suggest showing mangled parts of the body, a leg, a whole wing or something so that it becomes more apparent that it is a bird. You could try looking up a picture of a small bird and distorting the positions of its body to match your hand in the picture. So gory =P

The face looks very nice to me, good work on that =D the only thing I would say about improving that is maybe make the eye a bit smaller (though I can tell its a stylistic thing, so its all how you feel about it) and the nose appears slight off center, because you havent drawn the bottom of it... if you shade the bottom a little darker it will help shape it, right now if feels a bit 2D.

for color, I really like the face and how focused the picture is on it, a tip is for background and foreground, desaturate the colors a bit. The red background detracts from the bloody hand, and since that is a big part of the narrative in the picture you will want to have more focus on it. The birdcage is also a bit busy in the picture, but since its not a real focus in the picture you could darken it or blur it so that its there, but not taking away from the face and the hand.

Anyways I hope that is helpful, and that I am not too long winded >< I do like how your picture looks, keep me updated =D  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:40 pm
/coughcoughcough

Haaaay. ; D wanna Mentor meee?

*Edited to fix my stupidity

Here's my DA... As you can see, my anatomy could use some improvement. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:41 pm
Sure =P Just post in the thread whatever you want a critique from!  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm
Okay. : D As of this direct moment, I don't have any WIP's I'm working on, but.. I will. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:57 am
Ahh--
I think I see your point...

So to check:
The nose, the bg and foreground ...needs work.

(And yeah, admittedly the bird. xd )

Much thanks !!

Hmm, mind if I post s sketch?

Solus_Nyxx

Beloved Genius

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:56 pm
Kay, soo, for school we had a project where we had to hide crap and stuff... I came out with a sketch, but it's.. bad. : / [I figured I would fix the face more when I could draw it bigger... But I'sa be badd with bodiess.]

Here's a link  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm
xaphiel
Ahh--
I think I see your point...

So to check:
The nose, the bg and foreground ...needs work.

(And yeah, admittedly the bird. xd )

Much thanks !!

Hmm, mind if I post s sketch?

post away, hehe =3  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:30 am
.[ Cheesecube ].
Kay, soo, for school we had a project where we had to hide crap and stuff... I came out with a sketch, but it's.. bad. : / [I figured I would fix the face more when I could draw it bigger... But I'sa be badd with bodiess.]

Here's a link

Ok, well with this picture I can see where you are going with it, I like the face on the body.. maybe think of a better way to 'hide' it in the picture, right now its just kinda floating on her body. You could integrate it by using similar lines together, like say the curve of her stomach as the curve of her cheek. Otherwise it feels a little dispaced.

There are a couple of anatomical problems, mostly just with her torso. The breasts should be a little more stretches, so the breasts should be a bit lower. The (our) left side of her body is also a little too far out. The hands and fingers are also a little too large. I really like the contour around her head and shoulders =)

I hope that helps you a bit with your sketch.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 am
...Fond morn dearest Mentor xd
whose name is almost the same as mine.

*rofl*
I colored the sketch... (just a bit though-- )
and I'm running low on colors I can use.. --
I'm opting for red... Drapery-wise... it looks awful ...
suggestions? *__* ahh, and of 'course C&C's ...
User Image

and Cheesecube... your gallery's pretty nice btw. ^_^-

Solus_Nyxx

Beloved Genius

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 pm
Well first off, the bodies look very nice =D Nice composition too. However! you need to widen your range of colors, kris!! There are millions of colors! hehe =D Right now you use very saturated tones, and for stuff in the background, you should stick to muted or desaturated colors. While red is a nice color for the drapes, if you use a velvety dark green or blue it will make the read coat on your main character brighter. Right now it is much too bright of a red so try to tone it down a bit. Also since the flowers in the front are so close to the viewer, try to tone them down a bit too, just keep their presence but not so much detail =3  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff