Rawr

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Filipinos...
  Asian
  Pacific Islander
  I don't care. Why are you asking me this? You're stupid.
  No. YOU'RE stupid.
  Gold~
View Results

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:02 am
Question: Do you think Filipinos are Asian or Pacific Islanders?

I already know what I think and I can sure as hell back up my argument, but I just wanted to know where you guys stand on this.

(And don't worry, I shall refrain myself from getting mad if you choose the one I don't think is right.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:58 pm
er.... Asian.. i think... NO wait Pacific Islander! uhh nvm i choose both i think... was that the rite answer?  

Eli_dude2

Animaznboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:29 pm
Eli_dude2
er.... Asian.. i think... NO wait Pacific Islander! uhh nvm i choose both i think... was that the rite answer?
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

I wish I could be love,
Then I could be
All over the world.

Way to go there buddy. You've chosen correctly. Philippinos are both. Our country is an island, and it just happens to be in the Pacific. So we are Pacific Islanders.
But, every country has to belong to it's respective continent. The Philippines does not belong to Australia. And it sure as hell doesn't belong to America. So what else is left, but Asia?
We are Asian Pacific Islanders. Does anybody know what Ocean Japan is in? :3
I'll remember to love,
You taught me how.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 pm
User Image

proud of my heritage and who I am so, um I always put asian when people ask.. but i fits both thats cool too heart  

Kuroi Kohhi

blackhawk111

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 pm
is whatever you think it is  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:48 pm
well asian is a wide title...it includes as far as israel to the west and japan to the east, half of russia to the north and india to the south...but if you mean east asian then I would say yeah probably...even though tagalog is an austronesian language, the filipino's genetics have some similarities to the Hoklo ppl in china and taiwanese aboriginals (Haplogroup L,H)  

thejrockstar

-Falling.Ice-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:23 pm
uh.....both?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 am
both.  

-Dotted-Delete

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 pm
I've written this in another thread somewhere, but I think it's really a matter of preference. I kind of used to think Pacific Islander, but then I'd also hear a couple people thinking of Filipino as Pacific Islander... I've heard Filipino people themselves say one thing or another, so I'd say it's really all up to what the person considers himself/herself.

Asian is a very general term, if you think about it, because it includes countries like Russia and India as well, but people normally don't really think about Russians and Indians being Asian. I guess people generally consider Asian as "Oriental" that is now a politically incorrect term.

I'm Japanese but I don't fill out Pacific Islander on forms. Supposedly there's a dispute about what "Pacific Islander" refers to. I guess it usually would refer to areas like Malaysia and New Zealand, but different people use it differently.

Wikipedia even states:
Despite this, a growing number of Filipino-Americans have denied the classification of being "Asian", instead claiming to be "Pacific Islanders", which has provoked dismay among some Pacific Islanders who actually belong to the Oceanic cultures comprising the commonly accepted definition of the term, and has also prompted allegations of cultural denial from other Filipinos, the worldwide majority of whom identify themselves as being Asian (as the Filipino government has stated since its foundation that the Philippines is a part of Asia).

OH! That brings me to a conclusion! That little thing in Wikipedia probably explains why the people I know (who live in the U.S.) who are Filipino think of themselves as Pacific Islander rather than Asian. I should ask my friends who were born in the Philippines what they think....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:31 am
Fuku Taichou
OH! That brings me to a conclusion! That little thing in Wikipedia probably explains why the people I know (who live in the U.S.) who are Filipino think of themselves as Pacific Islander rather than Asian. I should ask my friends who were born in the Philippines what they think....

Hm...That kinda made me realize something...The majority of the Filipinos I know were born in the states (I think...Others I'm not quite sure...) and they all say they're Pacific Islander. On the matter, I share the same opinion as my parents, who were born and raised in the Philippines (I say I'm Asian). So yeah...

(And I always thought of the Philippines as part of Asia. You know, like Southeast Asia. And I always thought that Pacific Island denoted Oceania (like...a bit farther out there, and including Polynesia and islands like that...Hawaii would be part of this if it wasn't part of the US.). If that made any sense at all... sweatdrop )

invisible-weirdo

Reshoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 pm
I say they Asian forget what all u say but they Asian to me ^.^  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out