Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read the Blood books?
  Yep.
  No.
View Results

Psychomech

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:21 am
    I've just started reading the Blood books, by Tanya Huff. A show called Blood Ties which airs on Lifetime and CityTv in Canada. I bought the books because of the show, unfortunately. They were first published in 1991, but I've noticed that they don't really show their age as much as some older books. In an interview, I believe it was, they mentioned that the only thing that really showed their age was the lack of cell phones.

Here are books:

User Image

They were made into two books per each actual bound book, and I've heard the second book in volume three is more a collection of short stories, or something to that effect.

She's a known fantasy author, and really she only started writing the Blood books because she'd noticed that those who read vampire books will generally stay very loyal, and she needed to pay her mortgage. xP

Has anybody read them? Care to chat about them?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:37 am
I read the first few, but couldn't finish the series. I don't remember if it was the fifth or sixth that I stopped on. The first one, I loved. All the rest... I didn't like much. I don't remember what it was about them that I didn't like, just that I had the hardest time finishing each book. So I finally gave up. If I ever find that book again (it seems to have gotten lost somewhere in my room), I'll probably finish it. Don't know when, but someday.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:18 am
    I've just started reading the books, so I can't really have a fully-formed opinion about it, yet. I'm still on the first, where Henry picks up Vicki because she passed out at the last murder scene.

I like it so far, though. Aside from the fact that it took about one hundred pages for them to meet.

I'm just glad somebody even knows what I'm talking about!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:50 am
Yeah, I liked the first one. It was the best one in the series. I think it was the fourth book where the entire story just died for me. Which means I'm in the middle of the fifth book, and have been for, oh, two years. I'd actually kinda forgotten about them. I haven't met anyone else that's read them, either.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 pm
    I'd say prepare to meet a bunch more, 'cause of the show. After all, that's why I bought them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 pm
This is true. I'd like to hear how the show compares to the books.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 pm
User Image

Henry, Mike, and Vicki. Henry doesn't have reddish hair, but aside from that he seems nice?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:54 pm
...I don't know why, but the way Henry looks in that picture makes me laugh. A lot. n.n" I don't really remember any character descriptions, so I have nothing more to really add about the picture.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 am
    I've just started the first book, so character descriptions are fresh in my brain. Henry's supposed to appear to be mid-twenties, with reddish (strawberry blond?) hair and hazel eyes. Vicki is supposed to have short blond hair, and a stubborn chin. I have no idea about Mike. I figure they did Vicki well, though, even though her hair isn't short. Here's a better picture of Henry (Kyle Schmid).

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 am
Really? I read a short story by Tanya Huff in an anthology, and in it she said that Henry was stuck at age 17 for eternity. Hmm. 'Though I've noticed that authors tend to make mistakes in anthologies.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:10 pm
    Nah. He made a deal with Christine that he'd be turned when he was seventeen since it was a short period until his birthday, anyways. So, he turned seventeen and was turned. It states in the book that vampires age, but they do it very slowly. So, yes, for a long while he looked seventeen, but now he looks about mid-twenties.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:15 pm
Hm. It still said that he looked 17 for eternity, and the story took place after the last book, I think. Mistake! <.<  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:46 pm
I... don't follow. I have just finished Blood Trail, and I haven't encountered anything like that yet.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:10 am
The line was in an anthology not really related to the series, called Many Bloody Returns (about vampires' birthdays). I wouldn't recommend reading that anthology until after you've read the fourth book at least; it has spoilers for the storyline.  

NightIntent
Captain

Psychomech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 pm
Alright then, I shall not.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items