Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Colosseum (looking for a battle? Come here!)
The clauses of Pokemon. (Sticky this?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you clause most often when you battle?
  Ubers
  Evasion
  OHKO
  Sleep
  All of the above.
View Results

Hellz Shadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:25 pm
Things that are ok to clause/ban:

1) Ubers - Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, Deoxys (all forms) have better stats and/or moves and as such they ruin the game's balance and shouldn't be used. Celebi is not Uber. Jirachi isn't too. Mew is debatable, but his movepool makes him overpowered. Latios and Latias are Uber regardless of Soul Dew. Wobbufett is also considered uber, for the fact that you can't counter it. How can you counter something that you can't switch out against? And that can Encore you and kill you with Mirror Coat/Counter or Encore something like Rest and then setup his own pokemon. Wobbufett is uber.

2) Double Team/Minimize (Evasion) - These moves make the game based more on luck than skill. Using Double Team requires no skill at all, and depends only on luck. You can use DT once and have your opponent miss every time or you can DT 6 times and have your opponent hit each time. Sure, it is counterable. Haze can ruin it, but what if Umbreon Taunts your Weezing? To Haze it you need some horrible Hazer like Crobat. Aerial Ace and the other never-miss moves are fine, but what is AA going to do to Umbreon? Nothing, that's what. Anyway, don't use Double Team.

3) OHKOs (Fissure, Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold) - These moves make the game based ONLY on luck rather than skill. There is no counter to OHKOs. You can use Subsitute, but what if Lapras OHKOs your Raikou on it's way out? Ahh, but there's Sturdy! Sturdy pokemon can't be hit by OHKOs! They're the answer! Wrong. Sturdy pokemon are Ground/Steel/Rock types. Of the 4 OHKO moves, only Sheer Cold has no immunities (it's also the only one of them that can hit Gengar/Missy). Therefore, it's the best OHKO move, and the most popular (especially on Articuno or Sleep Talking Lapras). So let's say I sent Skarmory out on Lapras' Sheer Cold. Ha Lapras! You can't hit me with your Sheer Cold! Well, Lapras will just Surf/Thunderbolt your Skarmory/Steelix until it dies, and that's usually 2 turns. Sheer Cold users have nothing to fear of Sturdy pokemon, as they can usually kill them with their normal moves anyway. So, Sturdy is not the answer. OHKOs have no counter, except hoping your opponent will miss enough. They should never be used.

4) Sleep Clause - The Sleep Clause says that only one pokemon in a team can be put to sleep at a time. This rule is vital if you want the game to be enjoyable and fair. Otherwise Pokemon would be all about Agility/Spore Smeargle, you'll need a Hypno/Bannete on every team, and everything would be forced to use Chesto Berry. It would ruin Pokemon. Also if one team is made to take advantage of the lack of Sleep Clause, the other one has practially no chance to win without some serious luck, even if it's overall better. Do the world a favor and enforce this clause.

Now that we established what's cheap and what's not, I can say this:

Anything not of the 4 above IS NOT CHEAP, NOT OVERPOWERED, SHOULDN'T BE CLAUSED/BANNED OR LOOKED DOWN ON. THIS INCLUDES: BLISSEY, SKARMORY, CELEBI, CM LEGENDS, CM SUICUNE, LEECH SEED, SUBSITUTE, HIDDEN POWER, CHANSEY, SNORLAX, SALAMENCE, TYRANITAR, BELLYZARD OR WHATEVER YOU MAY THINK IS CHEAP ISN'T. IF YOU LOSE TO ONE OF THEM, FIX YOUR TEAM ACCORDINGLY.

It's actually deeper than that. It's also a certain way of life. You don't have the right to make the rules. You don't have the right to decide what's the moral way to play Pokemon. Those 4 rules were made because Pokemon is an unbalanced game, so it needs those rules to remain fun even after so much time. Ignore these rules and you will lose respect in the eyes of other players. But, other than those 4 rules, don't clause anything else. The 5th rule is this: Play to win.

I did not write this.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 am
Generally speaking I use everything except if agreed upon othervise beforehand.

I usually go for the no-legends/no-wobbuffet route when battling however. And I severely dislike hacked pokemon. IF I meet someone's using Arceus, they can go to hell, as it is not released yet. But if someone wants to allow legends in their battle, I am more than happy to oblige. After all, I do have a couple of Ubers that I like to use... (Mewtwo, Rayquaza). ^^

As a general rule, I would say agree upon the rules with your opponent before setting up the battle. That way no-one should feel cheated. ^^  

krishnath

Hellz Shadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:00 pm
krishnath

I usually go for the no-legends/no-wobbuffet route when battling however. And I severely dislike hacked pokemon. IF I meet someone's using Arceus, they can go to hell, as it is not released yet. But if someone wants to allow legends in their battle, I am more than happy to oblige. After all, I do have a couple of Ubers that I like to use... (Mewtwo, Rayquaza). ^^

As a general rule, I would say agree upon the rules with your opponent before setting up the battle. That way no-one should feel cheated. ^^

Last night I battled someone and I felt generally cheated, my team has no legendaries or ubers, and their team had a legendary or 2 (Cresselia for sure) and all of their Pokemon were holding leftovers. Pretty cheap.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:46 am
Hellz Shadow
krishnath

Last night I battled someone and I felt generally cheated, my team has no legendaries or ubers, and their team had a legendary or 2 (Cresselia for sure) and all of their Pokemon were holding leftovers. Pretty cheap.

Which is why you always agree on the rules of the battle before engaging. ^^  

krishnath

Worlds of Luke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:18 am
The things written down are true, but I don't agree with those rules.

-About those ubers: if you battle with somebody, you first have to check if it has any ubers or not.
Being engaged in a battle means that you knew how many legendaries someone has, certainly on this guild.

-That evasion thing: that's why moves like faint attack and Swift exist.

-OHKO's: those moves have 30 percent chance to hit you, and things like fissure won't work on a flying type or horn drill wont go for a ghost type.
I know, those moves are enervating me too, but they are already difficult to use so I don't see why we shouldn't use them.

-About that sleep thing: it's like the same with being frozen, confused or when a Pokémon falls in love, luck is an important attribute in a game, you know.  
Colosseum (looking for a battle? Come here!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games