Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
so yeah I've got a problem, if someone could possiably help Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Peppermint Cherry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:52 pm
ok so I've tried to be vegetarian many. mnay, many times, like you don't even know how many times. anyways, I tell my mom and the next day and for a while my mom'll make all my favorite meat dishes that she knows I can't resist. it really pisses me off that she doesn't like that I'm trying to be healthier and do something good. So how can I get my mom to ******** lay off and let me alone. I'm going to try again but just not say anything and hope in hopes she won't piss me off again. I mean if it's price I'm old enough to get a work permit and get a job I can pay for some of my own food. but I don't know what her problem is, she agrees it's better for you to cut out all that crap but she just doesn't like anything I do. but anyways beofre I begin to ramble on about how much i hate my mom, does anyone have any I deas of hwo I could get my mom to just let me be vegetarian?
btw, sorry it's so long  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:51 pm
Talk to her that you really want to go Veg because of your thoughts.
And try resisting the dishes...  

iGaara-Kun

ChaoticConsonance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm
Just remember that food is how many people show love, especially parents. Even if she doesn't realize it, she may be taking it like you rejecting the food she's fed you all your life is the same as you rejecting HER.

Sit her down and explain why you're doing what you're doing. Offer to cook with her and for her, and even try to make it a project for your whole family to eat healthier.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:53 pm
Thanks for all your advice, especially yours Chaotic I'll totally talk to her this weekend, then I can at least talk semi-private  

Peppermint Cherry

ChaoticConsonance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 pm
Not a problem. Tell us how it goes!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 am
So it's your mother's fault that you don't have any willpower or self-control?  

Sinister Kung Fu

Peppermint Cherry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm
shut up.
It's not like that. I never want to say anything at the table because if I do my brother makes fun of me and I hate he looks I get from my dad and my mom, just the way she talks about it pisses me off. so yeah I do have will-power, probably not as much self control but it's there and yeah. so don't say stuff like that to me when you don't even know the full situation  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 pm
ChaoticConsonance
Just remember that food is how many people show love, especially parents. Even if she doesn't realize it, she may be taking it like you rejecting the food she's fed you all your life is the same as you rejecting HER.

Sit her down and explain why you're doing what you're doing. Offer to cook with her and for her, and even try to make it a project for your whole family to eat healthier.

Agreed.  

Catherine teh Vegan

xStephanx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:56 am
I remember when I began eating better and losing weight. My mother didn't like it much, I can only assume because of the independence I was showing in the process.

My advice - suggeat alternatives you would like to eat. Discover some recipes. Perhaps at first even offer to make it. It may require some arguing and negotiating, but if its what you really want, I reckon you can do it! If not now then in the future when you have more independence.

Good luck, let us now how its going.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:44 pm
I was totally there about 10 years ago. Was in high school at the time and decided to be a vegetarian. My parents did not understand, and they put some major guilt trips on me for not eating the dishes they prepared for me.

So, I caved. My conviction for being vegetarian was not strong at the time, and I've always been susceptible to a good guilt trip.

Hang in there. I think the advice about sharing your convictions and offering to help cook is fantastic. Also, once you are out of your parents' home and living on your own, it will be much easier. I've now been vegan for about four years, and my parents complained and worried and guilted me like crazy at first.

But now, even they are eating more vegetarian dishes and asking me for my recipes.

Do the best you can while keeping peace at home. Remember, you're gonna have to live there for a while. Wouldn't you rather it be an enjoyable place to be?  

momomuki

Lidaby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:59 pm
I think recipes are a good idea- find some easy ones that you can make yourself, but then also some other ones that you can cook with your mum/dad. I guess the family can eat some vegetarian meals, but the times that they eat meat you can just whip up a quick one for yourself.

Also you should really try talking to them, say this is your decision and that they should be supporting you. I tend to just ignore my family when they try to annoy me about it, and they do leave you alone after a while. My mum only really bugs me about nutrition but I got the whole 'when are you going to stop this stupid vegetarian FAD' and 'now you're a weirdo skinny vegetarian'. In fact, my dad still jokes about meat all the time, but it's all in good fun now. Just ignore razz

Just really work on the self control for about a month or so- once you've got used to it it's really easy to resist meat. I have zero desire to eat meat now, even though it was quite hard when I first stopped doing it.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:46 am
i agree with everyone besides Sinister Kung Fu. Maybe his parentsjust let him go veg the second he asked, but most parents aren't like that. Most Fight and want you to give up. But If the person really wants to be vegetarian, they don't give up trying, and that makes the parent give up. They might still tease you about it but that is because they don't want you to be independent.  

I am Holey

U4ic_Tendencies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:20 pm
One thing that really helped me stop craving meat was watching videos of animals being slaughtered. It sounds horrible, but seeing the pain and suffering of the animal turned meat into a disgusting pile of needless pain for me. Of course, that might not be right for you.

As for your mom, talk to her as calmly as possible. Maybe write her a letter so you can get all of your thoughts out without an argument. Just explain that you want to try this for YOU, and if it doesn't work out, then no damage was done, you know? Maybe approaching it as "no big deal" will help her calm down.

Tell us how it goes!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm
As Chaotic said already, food is oftentimes used to show love. Maybe food is how she's able to connect with you, or maybe she's testing your resolve. She might be trying to teach you how to resist temptation, along with generally being a mother who is afraid to lose her baby. She may be closed minded and think, "First meat, then tattoos and hippie cults..." Then again, I'm just throwing stuff out there. I think you should consider her personality and beliefs and decide for yourself. Then try talking to her and asking if she's consciously making it difficult for you. Get rid of any misconceptions and have a nice heart-to-heart.

It really wasn't a big deal for me to go veg. I've been pretty much feeding myself for several years, save for when mom cooks once or twice a week. So, it's not like she had to adjust to me and cook special things just for me (although she makes veg lasagna for me). I'm only 17, but she lets me do my own thing and has for a couple years. She knows I'm a good kid. 3nodding

It really does get easier after a month or two. My only issue is trying to find things to eat instead of meat. I never realized it, but almost every dish at a typical restaurant and even the typical meal at home has meat in it. I still get the right nutrition, and I was able to donate blood a couple months ago.

I enjoyed a good, bloody steak before, but now I'm indifferent. Sure it tastes good, but so what? It's not vital to my existence. I'd rather have a fruit smoothie anyway. My all-time favorite meal that mom made had chicken in it. If she made it now, I wouldn't be tempted. I'd be reminded of my childhood, and leave it at that. You may see it as "giving up" something, but I see it as a gain. I'm eating healthier, I've become more tolerant (sadly, I used to think being veg was unhealthy and pointless), I cook more, I've become more open-minded to food... I was very picky before, but now I'm up for anything. Veg-ism kind of makes you be, and I'm glad of it. And hey, my friends and I get to crack jokes about eating meat. mad D

I wish you luck! :3

QueenMaeve

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:22 am
Next time you decide to try, don't tell anyone... just take alternatives when meat is on the table, or better yet, do some of the cooking yourself. Offer to cook dinner for everyone and give a tasty rendition of a cruelty-free evening meal.

The issue with my parents and vegetarianism all the times I tried when I was young, was that they didn't BUY the things I needed to eat. To my father there were three food groups. Cheese, meat, and bread. Vegetables? Not so much. Grains other than rice? Heaven forbid! And you get my picture.

It's just a matter of redefining your tastes as to the meat dishes you just can't live without. Like QueenMaeve said about indifference, it's true. After being a vegetarian for just a year and a half, meat is really not the party it used to be for me.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff